Author Topic: Marine veteran says he lost job after lowering flag on Memorial Day  (Read 295 times)

Offline markomalley

From Stars & Stripes:

When Charlotte veteran Allen Thornwell lowered his employer’s American flag to half-staff on Memorial Day, he says he did not think to ask permission or consider the possibility that he had done anything wrong.

Instead, the 29-year-old former Marine, who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, says he was thinking about his country, the meaning of the holiday, and his best friend, Geoff, another Marine who had killed himself two years ago after returning stateside.

On Tuesday, Thornwell was fired. A manager at the placement service that arranged the vet’s job at Time Warner Cable in Charlotte told him that the company was disturbed by Thornwell’s “passion for the flag and (his) political affiliation.”

Contacted this week, Thornwell said he remains in shock over what happened.

“I’m not even mad right now,” he says. “ I don’t know what kind of moral compass you need to fire a veteran on Memorial Day for lowering the flag.”

A Time Warner Cable spokesman confirmed Friday that the former Marine “was no longer under contract” with the company but declined further comment.

(remainder snipped)

Reason #695,424 to despise cable companies.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Marine veteran says he lost job after lowering flag on Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 02:28:42 am »
This kind of crap just chaps my a$$... :#@$%:

I've called out our local USAF base for flying tattered flags.  I've called companies about the same...telling them what the etiquette is to give them a chance...most times they ignore me...

Anyone or any company putting in a flag pole, when pulling their permit should be required to take and pass a US flag etiquette test.

If you can't pass it, you don't get to fly the flag.

Idiots.

Rant off.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Optiguy