Author Topic: Speaker Paul Ryan, After an Awkward Courtship, Endorses Donald Trump  (Read 1120 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Speaker Paul Ryan, After an Awkward Courtship, Endorses Donald Trump

By EMMARIE HUETTEMAN and MAGGIE HABERMANJUNE 2, 2016

WASHINGTON — Ending weeks of reluctance to embrace his party’s presumptive nominee, Speaker Paul D. Ryan endorsed Donald J. Trump for president on Thursday in a modest but unequivocal backing of a candidate whose views Mr. Ryan has frequently condemned.

In a column in his hometown newspaper in Janesville, Wis., Mr. Ryan said speaking with Mr. Trump had persuaded him that the billionaire developer would help him realize the conservative agenda that the speaker is trying to advance.

“Through these conversations, I feel confident he would help us turn the ideas in this agenda into laws to help improve people’s lives,” said Mr. Ryan, who is also chairman of the Republican National Convention that will nominate Mr. Trump. “That’s why I’ll be voting for him this fall.”

The endorsement is the latest and most consequential example of leading Republicans falling in line behind Mr. Trump. Mr. Ryan faced substantial pressure from fellow Republicans in Congress, many of whom share Mr. Ryan’s misgivings about Mr. Trump, because they realize that high-level public divisiveness over his candidacy only weakens Mr. Trump and increases the political risks of defending their majorities in the House and Senate.

“I think it was always going to be this way,” Representative Tom Cole, Republican of Oklahoma, said. “It was never plausible that a speaker would preside over your convention and not endorse you.”

Mr. Cole said the decision to endorse Mr. Trump would bolster Mr. Ryan’s main priority of protecting Republican seats in the House. “There is just no way that could have been helped by having that division,” he said.

After a sometimes awkward courtship, Mr. Trump said he was happy that Mr. Ryan had finally backed him. “I’m very pleased,” Mr. Trump said in an interview. “I have a good relationship with him, actually. He was taken a little bit by storm because my situation was supposed to go the convention.”

In an announcement that came while lawmakers were still scattered across the country for their weeklong Memorial Day recess, Mr. Ryan explained Thursday that he had withheld his support until he could discuss his policy priorities with Mr. Trump.

But the speaker, who repeatedly has dismissed rumors that he was considering his own presidential run this year and is already considered a contender in 2020, said he would not hesitate to disagree with Mr. Trump.

“It’s no secret that he and I have our differences,” Mr. Ryan said in the column he submitted to The Gazette in Janesville. “I won’t pretend otherwise. And when I feel the need to, I’ll continue to speak my mind. But the reality is, on the issues that make up our agenda, we have more common ground than disagreement.”

Mr. Ryan’s endorsement puts him at odds with Mitt Romney, who selected Mr. Ryan as his vice-presidential running mate in 2012. Mr. Romney delivered a scathing condemnation of Mr. Trump several months ago and has encouraged a third-party challenger to enter the race.

The fact that Mr. Ryan saved his endorsement for a written column precluded, for the moment, a public show of the two men coming together, and there were no plans announced for any joint appearances.

Mr. Ryan is expected to focus mainly on campaigning for House candidates in the late summer and fall.

An official with knowledge of the Ryan deliberations, who did not want to be identified discussing internal strategy, said the decision to proceed with the endorsement was made this week by Mr. Ryan personally.

snip

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/03/us/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump.html?_r=0
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

Re: Speaker Paul Ryan, After an Awkward Courtship, Endorses Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 02:15:14 am »
Donald Trump Gets A Political Endorsement He Did Not Want, Need or Request…

Today, writing an article in gazettextra, House Speaker Paul Ryan endorsed candidate Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has repeatedly said he did not want -nor need- Ryan to endorse him.

Candidate Donald Trump DOES NOT support “the house policy agenda“; he never will. Ryan’s agenda is the legislative priority list of Wall Street and the K-Street lobbyists who are funding his house membership. Donald Trump’s entire campaign approach is directly in opposition to Ryan’s Wall Street agenda and both he and Ryan accept that.

Unfortunately for Ryan, and very fortunately for America, Trump’s position is the winning position. That’s why Ryan has to move now to try to remain relevant to the future platform. Ryan is trying to save his Wall Street Legislative priority list.

Nothing more.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/06/02/donald-trump-gets-a-political-endorsement-he-did-not-want-need-or-request/comment-page-1/

=================================

Bill Kristol and Paul Ryan should just run with their own ticket - straight to the shithouse.

That's where both of them will wind up.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 02:24:14 am »
Mark Belling at WISN radio in Milwaukee has some interesting thoughts on this endorsement.

http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/media/play/27046182/

http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/media/play/27046188/

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:27:49 am »
I wonder how Ryan feels tonight after all these racist condemnations of an AMERICAN judge????
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 02:29:42 am »
Mark Belling at WISN radio in Milwaukee has some interesting thoughts on this endorsement.

http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/media/play/27046182/

http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/media/play/27046188/

I love Mark Belling.  I wonder if Rush will still have Mark or Erick Erickson subbing for him any longer.  Only Mark Steyn is a Trump pimp like Rush.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:37:19 am »
I wonder how Ryan feels tonight after all these racist condemnations of an AMERICAN judge????

You're the only one making noise about that. And you make noise about everything Trump does or says. If Trump sneezes, you post a headline: Presidential Candidate Donald Trump Spreads Disease, Immigrants Hardest Hit.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 02:37:39 am »
Donald Trump Gets A Political Endorsement He Did Not Want, Need or Request…

Today, writing an article in gazettextra, House Speaker Paul Ryan endorsed candidate Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has repeatedly said he did not want -nor need- Ryan to endorse him.

Candidate Donald Trump DOES NOT support “the house policy agenda“; he never will. Ryan’s agenda is the legislative priority list of Wall Street and the K-Street lobbyists who are funding his house membership. Donald Trump’s entire campaign approach is directly in opposition to Ryan’s Wall Street agenda and both he and Ryan accept that.

Unfortunately for Ryan, and very fortunately for America, Trump’s position is the winning position. That’s why Ryan has to move now to try to remain relevant to the future platform. Ryan is trying to save his Wall Street Legislative priority list.

Nothing more.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/06/02/donald-trump-gets-a-political-endorsement-he-did-not-want-need-or-request/comment-page-1/

=================================

Bill Kristol and Paul Ryan should just run with their own ticket - straight to the shithouse.

That's where both of them will wind up.

Paul Ryan is the second most powerful individual in the Federal Government.

You and this asshat who runs the crap little blog you pasted above are clueless as usual.   This is a big deal.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:39:47 am by ArneFufkin »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 02:42:35 am »
You're the only one making noise about that. And you make noise about everything Trump does or says. If Trump sneezes, you post a headline: Presidential Candidate Donald Trump Spreads Disease, Immigrants Hardest Hit.

Which is all beside the point. Trump is trashing an AMERICAN judge.  Have you noticed that the press coverage of Trump has shifted this week?  NObody's covering his rallies and are on his ass about his comments.

You have so little substance to your posts. Nothing but cheerleading for Trump.  Why not an article or two supporting Trump (not from an alt-right source)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:43:56 am by sinkspur »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:44:41 am »

Obsession, or Ob$e$$ion ?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 02:47:44 am »
Which is all beside the point. Trump is trashing an AMERICAN judge.  Have you noticed that the press coverage of Trump has shifted this week?  NObody's covering his rallies and are on his ass about his comments.

You have so little substance to your posts. Nothing but cheerleading for Trump.  Why not an article or two supporting Trump (not from an alt-right source)
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 02:50:35 am »
Obsession, or Ob$e$$ion ?

#NeverTrump.