Author Topic: Muhammad Ali, boxing champion and global good-will ambassador, dies at 74  (Read 5085 times)

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Leto

Who Whitewashed Muhammed Ali?

Pretty good article. Ali indeed was a radical in many ways. He grew up in the segregated south and had a voice and inclination to object.

I will take issue with the notion that him not going into the Army meant another went in his place. A Celebrity like him was never going to be a grunt going into combat. He gave up the prime of his career to fight that. The easy way would have been enlisting and creating good will for the army.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9501E1DB133FEE32A25752C2A9659C946591D6CF#

So much for the "legend of the 'murikan left" and his "moral stand against a unjust war against the forces of communism",huh? The goober didn't refuse the draft,he was too stupid to be drafted so they sent him back home.

Oh,well,he can still stand on a pedestal for being so tough he is the only known human to still have a beating heart 30 minutes after dying,according to his daughter who,judging by her claims really is his daughter.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ali, was drafted when he was 24, nobody was drafted @ 24, he was a target for converting to the Black Muslim religion.

He could have had a Cush job in the military, he wasn't going to Nam if he had complied. He actually lost the best years of his career on principle.

I say that as a USAF vet 71-75

Don't understand the hatred of the guy. He handled his affliction well in his later years and treated 'ordinary' people well.

A couple of points,here.

#-1 Your service in the AF means you don't know squat about who was drafted and who wasn't because nobody was drafted to serve in the USAF. The draft was only to fill the ranks of the USMC and the USA.

#-2   I was friends with and served with a guy from Memphis that was drafted at age 26. IIRC,26 was the cut-off age for draft eligibility. If you were 27,you didn't get drafted.

#-3 Come to find out,Ali didn't refuse the draft. HE WAS REJECTED BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MEET THE MENTAL STANDARDS.

So much for "Ali,the moral giant".

His whole "I ain't going to fight in no white man's war to kill other men of color!" nonsense was something he was programmed to say by his handlers to hide the fact he was a freaking moron.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

I will take issue with the notion that him not going into the Army meant another went in his place. A Celebrity like him was never going to be a grunt going into combat. He gave up the prime of his career to fight that. The easy way would have been enlisting and creating good will for the army.

He wasn't a draft-dodger and it would have been impossible for him to enlist because he was rejected due to low IQ.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
He wasn't a draft-dodger and it would have been impossible for him to enlist because he was rejected due to low IQ.

Ah...then why didn't the same standards apply when he became heavyweight champion of the world?   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ah...then why didn't the same standards apply when he became heavyweight champion of the world?   :whistle:

You seriously think there are IQ standards for boxers?

Ever heard of Mike Tyson? I've seen smarter poodles.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
You seriously think there are IQ standards for boxers?

Ever heard of Mike Tyson? I've seen smarter poodles.

LOL!  Think you're missing the point.

If he wasn't able to be drafted because of his low IQ....when then did they strip him of his title?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mirraflake

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9501E1DB133FEE32A25752C2A9659C946591D6CF#

So much for the "legend of the 'murikan left" and his "moral stand against a unjust war against the forces of communism",huh? The goober didn't refuse the draft,he was too stupid to be drafted so they sent him back home.

Oh,well,he can still stand on a pedestal for being so tough he is the only known human to still have a beating heart 30 minutes after dying,according to his daughter who,judging by her claims really is his daughter.

Ali was very intelligent.  You can tell that by his sit down interviews before Parkinson's took hold, he has over 80 well known memorable quotes and he parlayed his winnings into $80 million dollars. He was a very intelligent man.

I remember reading that he had a very bad case of dyslexia which would have hurt him taking the Military Proficiency Exam. I have had business clients with the same condition. Multi millionaires, very high IQ but can't read a simple paragraph.

And his daughter never said his heart kept beating after he died. What she said is after all his internal organs shut down his heart continued to beat-it was strong and was the last internal organ to fail before he died.

@sneakypete
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:04:51 pm by mirraflake »

Offline mirraflake

If he wasn't able to be drafted because of his low IQ....when then did they strip him of his title?

The Army lowered the IQ standards in 1967 from the 1964 standards making him now eligible.

@DCPatriot

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

This was the 60's. Probably because he hooked up with the Malcolm X/Elijah Mohammed bunch of black racists that kept talking about murdering white people when they have their Marxist revolution to take over the country.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ali was very intelligent.  You can tell that by his sit down interviews before Parkinson's took hold, he has over 80 well known memorable quotes and he parlayed his winnings into $80 million dollars. He was a very intelligent man. <<

Compared to day old snot,maybe. He was repeating  a rehearsed script during all of those interviews.

>>And his daughter never said his heart kept beating after he died. What she said is after all his internal organs shut down his heart continued to beat-it was strong and was the last internal organ to fail before he died.<<

Somebody correct me if I am wrong,but aren't the brain and the heart also internal organs? Nothing functions without the brain,and if the lungs aren't functioning the heart doesn't get any blood and oxygen.

@mirraflake

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Army lowered the IQ standards in 1967 from the 1964 standards making him now eligible.

@DCPatriot

I'm guessing the radical Muslim/Black Panther connections had more to do with it than anything. The US gooberment didn't bar him from boxing,the boxing associations did.

Offline mirraflake

He accomplished more than will ever do.  You are showing your character and  people can see what you are all about...and it's not something to be proud of. 

Numerous articles were written about Ali's intelligence (how high it was) if you would even bother to look it up and most of his speeches and interviews were off the cuff.

Muhammad Ali  devoted his life to helping promote world peace, civil rights, cross-cultural understanding, interfaith relations, humanitarianism, hunger relief, and the commonality of basic human values. His work as an ambassador for peace began in 1985, when he flew to Lebanon to secure the release of four hostages. Ali also has made goodwill missions to Afghanistan and North Korea; delivered over $1 million in medical aid to Cuba; traveled to Iraq to secure the release of 15 United States hostages during the first Gulf War; and journeyed to South Africa to meet Nelson Mandela upon his release from prison. His recent attempt to free two American hikers held captive in Iran reinforces his tireless commitment to promoting freedom, tolerance, and humanity around the world.

Throughout his boxing career, Ali’s highly publicized fights in locales such as Kinshasa, Manila, and Kuala Lumpur brought increased global attention to the developing world. Today, he continues to serve those in need overseas, providing over 232 million meals to the world’s hungry. Ali has hand-delivered food and medical supplies to children in Cote D’Ivoire, Indonesia, Mexico, and Morocco, among other countries.

In addition to his international efforts, Ali is equally devoted to helping charities at home. He has visited countless numbers of soup kitchens and hospitals, and helped organizations including the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Special Olympics. He also annually participates in Celebrity Fight Night, which generates funds for the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Arizona.

Ali once said, “I’ve always wanted to be more than just a boxer. More than just the three-time heavyweight champion. I wanted to use my fame, and this face that everyone knows so well, to help uplift and inspire people around the world.”

In November 2005, Ali and his wife Lonnie opened the Muhammad Ali Center in their hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Both an education center and museum experience, the Ali Center inspires children and adults to be as great as they can be, and encourages people around the globe to form new commitments in their lives in areas of personal growth, integrity, and respect for others.

Muhammad Ali has received some of the world’s most prestigious awards. He has been honored by Amnesty International with their “Lifetime Achievement Award.” Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the United Nations and former Liberty Medal recipient, bestowed him with a citation as “United Nations Messenger of Peace.” Ali also was named the “International Ambassador of Jubilee 2000,” a global organization dedicated to relieving debt in developing nations. In 2005, he was presented with the Presidential Citizens Medal by President George W. Bush

@sneakypete
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:05:20 am by mirraflake »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He accomplished more than will ever do.  You are showing your character and  people can see what you are all about...and it's not something to be proud of.  <<

You are the racial supremacist here,making excuses for this black racist traitor,liar,and all around fool.

>>Numerous articles were written about Ali's intelligence (how high it was) if you would even bother to look it up and most of his speeches and interviews were off the cuff. <<

Yeah,I see numerous articles written about how smart Goober Gore and Hillary Clinton are,too. Since you tend to believe what you read,believe me.

Muhammad Ali  devoted his life to helping promote world peace, civil rights, cross-cultural understanding, interfaith relations, humanitarianism, hunger relief, and the commonality of basic human values. <<

Sounds like he was your pimp.

>>His work as an ambassador for peace began in 1985, when he flew to Lebanon to secure the release of four hostages. Ali also has made goodwill missions to Afghanistan and North Korea; delivered over $1 million in medical aid to Cuba; traveled to Iraq to secure the release of 15 United States hostages during the first Gulf War; and journeyed to South Africa to meet Nelson Mandela upon his release from prison. His recent attempt to free two American hikers held captive in Iran reinforces his tireless commitment to promoting freedom, tolerance, and humanity around the world.<<

Yeah,and Trump is a modest man,and Hillary is a honest,patriotic woman.

Pull my finger.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
People are very opinionated on boxing folks, I once hung out at the old BBC sports boards (called 606) and some people are bonkers about the sports. I appreciate reading people's knowledge even if I don't agree. Comparing boxers from different eras like I read in this thread was something they'd do, who hit the hardest and so on.

There must be a good boxing forum on the web; I have read some but it was more of an all-inclusive boxing forum.

Comparing boxers is like comparing football teams, basketball, hockey, baseball and so on, who had the best pitching ever etc.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/06/muhammad_ali_tool_of_hucksters.html

By G. Murphy Donovan

I would have never thought to put Muhammad Ali (aka Cassius Clay) and Donald Trump in the same sentence, no less the same argument. Nonetheless, the other day, ABC did it for me. When Ali died, Donald Trump had some very gracious remarks about the boxer’s passing. Michael Falcone at ABC used the occasion to trot out some written remarks attributed to Ali that Falcone interpreted to be a defense of Islam against Trump. Trump, of course, is never mentioned in the Ali communiqué on Islam. Indeed, the suggestion that Muhammad Ali was writing about anything on his deathbed is an unlikely fantasy.

Ali was probably being used then as he has been used for most of his career; first by fight hucksters, then by anti-war activists, then by a Nation of Islam cult, and finally by any special pleader that could get him to sit and sell his persona or signature for a $100 dollars a pop.   

Still the big networks never seem to miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Alas, exploiting a palooka’s death to bash a political candidate already under fire is what you might expect from press partisans in an election year.

You read that correctly. I said “palooka,” archaic sports jargon used to describe a chump who has one too many fights and taken one too many shots to the head.

In another time and place, such a prizefighter would have had an industry diagnosis such as “punch drunk,” not Parkinson’s. This is not to blame Ali; he like many athletes probably wasn’t smart enough to anticipate the consequences of not knowing when to quit. Smart athletes don’t quit while they’re ahead; they quit while they still have a head. Rocky Marciano might be the best example among truly great modern heavyweights.

The idea that a professional fighter or a football player is a victim is only true to the extent that many are immature, uneducated, and thus exploitable by schools, coaches, promoters, managers, corner men, fight doctors, and arena entrepreneurs that could care less about a jock’s health, especially after the athlete ceases to be a cash cow. 

Knowing when to quit required a maturity and wisdom that Mohammed Ali never achieved. His coterie of sycophants weren’t much help either.

Angelo Dundee and Ferdie Pacheco could take a bow here. Legend has it that Doctor Pacheco advised the heavyweight to retire as his health declined. Ali might have taken a new name and advice from Elijah Muhammad, but he rejected advice from his white medical team and lost three of his last four fights.

Ali was different to the extent that he gilded the sports plantation with politics, race, religion, and a mouth that spewed racist invective and a kind of doggerel that media shills like Howard Cosell couldn’t get enough of.  Cosell was, no surprise, another ABC Sports jock sniffer. Calling professional boxing the “sweet science” is a little like confusing a massive stroke with a migraine. 

Ali could have used his last years to illuminate the hazards of head trauma in sports like hockey, football, and especially boxing where “knockout” is literally the harbinger of senior years as a diminished soul, if not a vegetable. Ali might also have used his celebrity to condemn the “knockout game” (aka “polar bear hunting”), a popular punk pastime where gangs of black teens punch random white elders to render them unconscious. Ali did neither, but he did have time for magic tricks and overpriced autographs.

Muhammad Ali did not use his celebrity to condemn Islamic small wars or Islamic terror with the same energy or drama he used to condemn the Vietnam War. Ali’s anti-war indignation, like that of Barack Hussein Obama, was very selective. The president used the start of Ramadan this week to take a shot at Trump too. So much for the religion of peace.

Ali used his celebrity to legitimize the demagoguery of Elijah Muhammad, the Nation of Islam, and many specious notions of black supremacy/separatism.

Malcom X saw through Elijah Muhammad’s hustle and had the courage to say so. Ali literally turned his back on Malcom X, who then paid for apostasy with his life. In the Nation of Islam schism, Malcom X was the real fighter and Ali behaved like a gullible kid, if not a chump.

Muhammad Ali only became the kindly humanitarian saint after he lost his marbles and his voice. Few in the world of sports, politics, or media noted that unhappy coincidence.

Ali was not “great,” not any of this was or is great.

By his own assessment, Ali still claimed to be the “greatest” even as he visibly declined. Great was never true in his prime and it became less so over time. At best, Muhammad Ali was a media celebrity used by sport, politics, and religion. He died thinking he was off the plantation by giving up his slave name. In fact, Clay and Ali never appreciated American sport, liberal politics, or Muslim cults as the hustles or bondage that they represent for black Americans today.

Maybe it’s a fitting coda to a checkered career that, on Friday, Ali will be eulogized by Bill Clinton, hustler extraordinaire. Louis Farrakhan might have been as good a choice. Knowing that Ali chose Clinton for the eulogy says all that needs to be said about the life-long childish naiveté of a “champion.”

Clinton will surely use the occasion for his own purposes; shill for his wife, pander to Islam, and play the partisan political hack, in short, a political huckster will be giving a sports huckster a proper sendoff.

Ali was the indeed “the mouth from the South.” Speaking without thinking was probably the only thing he ever had in common with Donald Trump. Ali might have been famous and celebrated, but not “great” by any fair reading of his professional or personal behavior.

Muhammad Ali will be used this week yet again in death, used by an outsized media orgy before they put him in the ground, ignoring the positive role model he never became. Or as Whittier lamented “For all words from mouth or pen, the saddest are these: “It might have been.”

There will be no joy, poetry, justice, or truth in Louisville this week.

“Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.”  – Muhammad Ali

Offline flowers

Good find...thanks for posting.

Offline sinkspur

What a POS column!!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

What a POS column!!
from the column @sinkspur 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
"Braggin' is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.” - Muhammad Ali
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sinkspur

from the column @sinkspur

I know. That's why I said the COLUMN was crap.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

I know. That's why I said the COLUMN was crap.
@sinkspur    :th_10444: