Author Topic: Muhammad Ali, boxing champion and global good-will ambassador, dies at 74  (Read 5087 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
The Latest: Jerry West says Ali had 'God-like presence'

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5133304c6e9b42af9b01ccd7eae3334a/latest-world-reacts-news-death-greatest

The Associated Press
Jun. 4, 2016 5:38 PM EDT
West saw Ali fight professionally several times and said: "I loved that guy. I really did.

"Being around him, you almost felt like a God-like presence," West said. "You really did. He had it. He had it."

Words fail...maybe later.

Wingnut

geronl

ugh

rolls eyes

Offline CommerceComet

Louis would presented a different problem. He was about Ali's size and moved much better than Marciano. Plus, he had a tremendous punch himself.  Maybe not as strong as Liston's, but very strong and he moved a lot better than Liston.
I agree with your analysis of an Ali-Marciano fight. Ali was too big and fast for Marciano. Unlike Walcott, Ali had a strong chin and wasn't likely to be taken out with one punch.
Joe Louis had two weaknesses as a fighter. Louis' balance wasn't great which is why he suffered several knockdowns in his career but wasn't really hurt. Ali's jab and movement would have exposed that weakness to some degree. Louis' other weakness was his lack of foot speed. He had lots of hand speed but feet weren't that quick. Like Liston, Louis was a bit of a plodder. I think that Louis would have gotten frustrated by Ali consistently dancing in and landing some very quick punches and getting away before Louis could counter. 
Of the old-timers, the one that I think would have given Ali fits is Jack Johnson. Ali wasn't that much bigger than Johnson but Johnson had that herky-jerky, unorthodox style much like Ken Norton. However, Johnson had better speed and power than Norton along with an almost impenetrable defense.

Offline raml

He died no big deal we all do were born to die. He was a coward who ran from serving his country he was a Muslim I could care less that he died and it makes me sick how this country makes famous people God's and when they die even though they are the scum of the earth they make them sound like saints which they never are. He certainly was no hero of mine nor should he be of any patriot.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Latest: Jerry West says Ali had 'God-like presence'

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5133304c6e9b42af9b01ccd7eae3334a/latest-world-reacts-news-death-greatest

The Associated Press
Jun. 4, 2016 5:38 PM EDT
Words fail...maybe later.

What can you say about people when someone with a reported IQ of 79 is their intellectual idol,merely because he was  a coward,and in his early days,hated white people.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Lots can be written on him. My understanding is that if he had been a member of the armed forces, a real easy job was awaiting him because they would have used him like they used Elvis; useful for publicity purposes but I gather he chose to spend time in prison.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Reporter freed from Iran recounts how Ali helped save him

WASHINGTON — A Washington Post reporter who spent 545 days in an Iranian prison told CNN in an exclusive interview Saturday that boxing legend Muhammad Ali helped his cause.

In March 2015, Ali, who died Friday at age 74, released a statement that said, in part, “I am sorry that I cannot be physically present to lend my support in person, but I pray my words will provide relief to the efforts to secure the release of Jason Rezaian. Insha’Allah. It is my great hope that the government and judiciary of Iran will end the prolonged detention of journalist Jason Rezaian.”

When CNN’s Jim Sciutto read Rezaian Ali’s statement, the journalist said he was “just getting chills as I read that again. It meant so much to me at the time.”

“I can’t tell you, I can’t express in words, how much it meant to me, continues to mean to me,” he added.

Ali, who converted to Islam in 1964, is revered in Iran, and Rezaian explained that when his guards heard about Ali’s plea, “They started treating me in a better way. I think it brought some doubt to them about the (espionage-related) charges against me.”

More: http://wtvr.com/2016/06/05/reporter-jason-rezaian-recounts-how-muhammad-ali-helped-save-him/

Offline mirraflake

Good riddance to treasonous and cowardly Muslim trash. Damn shame it didn't happen 50 years ago.

Wow, you are such full of class. 

Offline mountaineer

Mr. M spoke to a Vietnam War vet this morning at church. He said he was furious that Ali is being treated as some kind of great American hero. This fellow put Ali up there with Jane Fonda on the "despised by the guys who actually served" meter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Lots can be written on him. My understanding is that if he had been a member of the armed forces, a real easy job was awaiting him because they would have used him like they used Elvis; useful for publicity purposes but I gather he chose to spend time in prison.

The Army couldn't force him to do that against his will,and if he had refused,it would have been straight into the infantry and straight to VN for him..

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wow, you are such full of class.

I'm surprised you have the ability to recognize that.

Offline mirraflake

I'm surprised you have the ability to recognize that.

Post deleted by Mod1 for personal attack

@mirraflake
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:45:38 pm by Mod1 »

Offline MACVSOG68

Mr. M spoke to a Vietnam War vet this morning at church. He said he was furious that Ali is being treated as some kind of great American hero. This fellow put Ali up there with Jane Fonda on the "despised by the guys who actually served" meter.

I suspect most of us who were there felt the same way.  I didn't despise him as much as Fonda though.  She was alone atop the despic-o-meter. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Post deleted

8888crybaby  AWWWW,did I hurt your widdle feelings with the truth? Maybe you can file an AA lawsuit against me?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:46:49 pm by Mod1 »

Online andy58-in-nh

Muhammad Ali (the artist formerly known as Cassius Clay) was a gifted pugilist who won a gold medal for the USA in the 1960 Olympics, buckled the knees of the fearsome Sonny Liston, reclaimed his title from the dangerous Joe Frazier and rope-a-doped the less talented but brutally powerful George Foreman. He had a limited intellect, but a genuine gift for gab and an ability to connect with more than mere punches.

His refusal to be inducted into the Armed Forces was unnecessary: as a celebrity athlete during an increasingly unpopular war he certainly would have been given an assignment to build morale through exhibitions, external to any combat role, and would have been done with it inside of two years. Instead, Ali refused service because his conscience so instructed him, and thereby lost three and one-half years of the prime time of his career.  He paid a price and deserved to. But he took it just like he endured the beating that Frazier laid on him in 1971, and moved on to the next fight.

In truth, I believe he made a poor choice, and thought so even after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned his conviction, but I respected him for not bugging out to Canada or elsewhere, as others did at the time.

Muhammad could be cruel and taunted his opponents mercilessly and viciously, at times: behavior for which Joe Frazier never, ever forgave him.  And yet he also exhibited genuine kindness toward his legion of fans, taking time to chat with them, sign autographs for them, and even talked a suicidal man off a ledge in Los Angeles in 1981.

Ali's association with the risible Elijah Mohammed of the Nation of Islam was perhaps a fair index of the man's limitations, in choosing to follow the very person most directly responsible for the death of his mentor and spiritual guide, Malcolm X.   

But again, his smallness of character, further evidenced by his four marriages and his affairs in between does not fully diminish the fact that he was one of those rare people whose talent for popularity and for their chosen craft make them seem larger than life, as Muhammad Ali always was. RIP.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Mod1

Sneakypete and Mirraflake, knock off the insults.

Offline Leto

Ali, was drafted when he was 24, nobody was drafted @ 24, he was a target for converting to the Black Muslim religion.

He could have had a Cush job in the military, he wasn't going to Nam if he had complied. He actually lost the best years of his career on principle.

I say that as a USAF vet 71-75

Don't understand the hatred of the guy. He handled his affliction well in his later years and treated 'ordinary' people well.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline skeeter

Muhammad Ali (the artist formerly known as Cassius Clay) was a gifted pugilist who won a gold medal for the USA in the 1960 Olympics, buckled the knees of the fearsome Sonny Liston, reclaimed his title from the dangerous Joe Frazier and rope-a-doped the less talented but brutally powerful George Foreman. He had a limited intellect, but a genuine gift for gab and an ability to connect with more than mere punches.

Pretty good summary. I disliked him because of the taunting & showboating. I still despise it in sports.

But he was a helluva boxer, more specifically, he could take a helluva punch. Stayed in the public eye a bit too long.

I actually heard one of the jock-sniffing sports journalists eulogize Ali by saying 'he showed America the way forward'... on race relations, I presume? I dunno. I little bit of an overstatement I suspect.

Offline oldmomster

The fights were the only time my Dad watched TV - he even listened to baseball games on the radio.

So that became our time to sit and talk about the boxers and the fight in particular and politics sometimes.  We both loved listening to Howard Cosell and Ali jabbing at each other. 

Offline kidd

Donald Trump or Mohammed Ali?

1. With out passion you don't have energy, with out energy you have nothing.
2. It's always good to be underestimated.
3. It’s not bragging if you can back it up.
4. I don't like losers.
5. At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.

Offline mirraflake

Donald Trump or Mohammed Ali?

1. With out passion you don't have energy, with out energy you have nothing.
2. It's always good to be underestimated.
3. It’s not bragging if you can back it up.
4. I don't like losers.
5. At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.

Ali

Offline mirraflake

One of Ali's best lines was his toughest fight was his first wife

Offline Leto

Ali was a good marketer, he saw the schtick used by Pro Wrasslers Gorgeous George and Classy Freddie Blassie and realize the they got people to buy tickets to see them get the brains best it. Ali recognized the no one in the boxing sporting used this sort of promotion and realized he pull make more money doing that sort of entertainment especially being a black man in the 60's.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters