Author Topic: Iraq War Vet Says Trump U Fired Her for Being in Military  (Read 238 times)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Iraq War Vet Says Trump U Fired Her for Being in Military
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:22:02 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/iraq-war-veteran-claims/2016/06/01/id/731850/

"I was fired because I was in the military," she said in the deposition, which was given to lawyers in the fraud case against Trump University. Sommer herself is not part of that suit in which former students say they paid large amounts of money for information on how to learn Donald Trump's secrets to real estate.

<snip>

"At the end of my [performance] evaluation, they wrote that it was a problem that I was in the military," wrote Sommer. She said she took her two days a month of duty in the middle of the week to free her time on the weekends as an event planner for Trump University.

<snip>

Still, she said, her supervisors wrote on her performance she was a "weekend warrior," which she saw as "derogatory" since she had served in combat in Iraq.

Trump University also fired another veteran about the same time, according to The Huffington Post.

Air Force Senior Master Sgt. Richard Wright lost his position as a mentor at the Trump Institute, which was an affiliate of Trump University, after returning from deployment to Afghanistan.

Wright said his bosses told him "all of your absences" had forced them to "reevaluate your position with the Trump Institute."

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline sinkspur

Re: Iraq War Vet Says Trump U Fired Her for Being in Military
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:26:45 pm »
Trump University is going to be hung around Trump's neck for the rest of the campaign.  It's evident it's getting to him, too.  He was tweeting about the judge again just this morning:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  31m31 minutes ago
Even though I have a very biased and unfair judge in the Trump U civil case in San Diego, I have thousands of great reviews & will win case!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 05:41:18 pm »
Trump University is going to be hung around Trump's neck for the rest of the campaign.  It's evident it's getting to him, too.  He was tweeting about the judge again just this morning:

It can’t be confirmed if either persons in the article were actually terminated because of their military service, but that Trump U did make some sort of settlement with Sommer is interesting and perhaps telling.

If they did terminate based on military reserve service or having been called up, as long as the service member fulfilled their obligations as outlined, it is a violation of The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) to terminate them.

I had to become familiar with USERRA at my last employer in my role in HR/Payroll as we had a few active National Guard members as employees.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-legal-matters/userra/userra-frequently-asked-questions.html

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/Federal_Benefits_Page/Uniformed_Services_Employment_and_Reemployment_Rights_Act_(USERRA).html?serv=228
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:52:25 pm »

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  31m31 minutes ago
Even though I have a very biased and unfair judge in the Trump U civil case in San Diego, I have thousands of great reviews & will win case!

That would be good.😊
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.