Author Topic: Elon Musk announces plan to revolutionize factories  (Read 1392 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Elon Musk announces plan to revolutionize factories
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:24:28 pm »

Hving already upset the traditional automobile industry with his electric cars and the space exploration business with his reusable Space X rockets, Tesla Motors Chief Executive Elon Musk will now set about trying to revolutionize the American factory.

In a freewheeling talk before shareholders Tuesday, Musk said he and his Tesla team will completely rethink the factory process, hoping to bring “factors of 10 or even 100 times” in improvements in efficiency to the manner in which “you build the machines that build the machine.”

Musk, returning repeatedly to the idea of “physics-first principles,” said he no longer uses an office at Tesla, but spends all of his time on the production line.

That exercise has shown him methods by which production capacity could be increased exponentially, he said, by applying those principles.

“The most important point I want to make is … that we’ve realized that the true difficulty and where the greatest potential lies is in building the factory,” Musk said.

Charging the world's best automotive factories with using outmoded and inefficient systems, Musk said, “We can make dramatic improvements to the machine that makes the machine. A lot of people will not believe us about this, but I am absolutely convinced this can be accomplished.”

Speaking to shareholders at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif., Musk spent more than two hours reviewing the history of the Bay Area-based electric car company -- reminding his support group of investors and engineers about how many times Tesla could have gone under and how many ways the company has surprised critics.

The co-founder and CEO used the word “hubris” repeatedly and took complete responsibility for cost overruns and delayed delivery of Tesla’s “falcon-wing” SUV, the Model X.

Calling the Model X program “challenging,” Musk said, “I particularly need to fault myself for … putting too much technology all at once into a product. We have these great ideas. The smart move would have been to table those for version 2 or version 3.”

He promised Model X owners that the doors, which have experienced difficulties, will now work correctly.

“If you order a Model X now, or soon, trust me, you will love the doors," he said. "Because the software will actually be right.”

The year so far has been one of big promises for Tesla. This spring the company unveiled its long-awaited Model 3, the planned long-range, $35,000 electric car for the masses.

In May Tesla announced a July 29 “grand opening" for its huge “gigafactory” lithium ion battery plant in northern Nevada.

To shareholders, Musk repeated his promise that the company can grow from a projected 80,000 to 100,000 vehicles a year for 2016 to nearly five times that by 2018 – and perhaps as many as a million cars a year by 2020.

Pointing to the company's history, he insisted that such growth was nothing compared with the production ramp-up Tesla underwent going from 1,500 units a year in 2010 on its first vehicle, the Roadster, to 110,000 units a year, five years later, of its much more complex Model S.

Although Musk did not make the point specifically, his statements about modernizing the American factory are meant in part to address concerns about whether Tesla’s Fremont, Calif., automobile plant can be capable of maintaining production of the Model S and Model X while beginning production of the less expensive Model 3 -- in a manner that can make it possible at the proposed price.

Tesla began taking deposits for Model 3 the day it was unveiled, saying it expected as many as 100,000 customers would step up. In fact, the company received orders for more than 350,000 cars, which it must now build.

Musk closed the three-hour meeting by taking questions from shareholders, defending Tesla’s tax incentives, government loans and labor practices, periodically handing off certain questions to senior Tesla staffers.

He may have also disappointed Model 3 buyers by telling them that they would not have access, at the base price, to the “free long-distance charging” system currently available to all owners of the Model S and Model X.

Those chargers enable all Tesla owners to replenish their batteries at charging stations spread across the U.S., and in some other countries.

Model 3 owners won’t get that service without paying for it.

“It will still be very cheap, and far cheaper than buying gasoline,” Musk said. “But it will not be free long-distance charging for life unless you purchase that package.”

Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-shareholders-20160531-snap-story.html

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

geronl

Re: Elon Musk announces plan to revolutionize factories
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:33:31 am »
Not a dime of tax dollars should be involved.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 12:46:50 pm »

Not that I disagree, however most well known American companies in the past and start-ups have received gov't funding in the form of grants, loans, and contracts such as Lockheed, IBM, AT&T, GE, Boeing, etc.  Most major industries (aircraft, space, machinery, etc.) were initially funded by the US Government. 
"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »
In the final analysis,  it doesn't matter, but if Musk succeeds, that will wipe out a couple million manufacturing jobs, empowering demagogues like stumpy.

The American Republic may be at an end.  Long live the American Empire.
Former Republican.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 01:24:46 pm »
In the final analysis,  it doesn't matter, but if Musk succeeds, that will wipe out a couple million manufacturing jobs, empowering demagogues like stumpy.  The American Republic may be at an end.  Long live the American Empire.

Wrong on so many levels.  The technological advances being seen today will be taught to students in far away galaxies in the future.   The American empire that our parents started was the beginning, not the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_change

In economics, technological change is a change in the set of feasible production possibilities.  A technological innovation is Hicks neutral, following John Hicks (1932), if a change in technology does not change the ratio of capital's marginal product to labour's marginal product for a given capital-to-labour ratio. A technological innovation is Harrod neutral (following Roy Harrod) if the technology is labour-augmenting (i.e. helps labor); it is Solow neutral if the technology is capital-augmenting (i.e. helps capital).

Technological change can cause the production-possibility frontier to shift outward, allowing economic growth

Technological change, technological development, technological achievement, or technological progress is the overall process of invention, innovation and diffusion of technology or processes. In essence technological change is the invention of technologies (including processes) and their commercialization via research and development (producing emerging technologies), the continual improvement of technologies (in which they often become less expensive), and the diffusion of technologies throughout industry or society (which sometimes involves disruption and convergence). In short, technological change is based on both better and more technology.

Modeling technological change
In its earlier days, technological change was illustrated with the 'Linear Model of Innovation', which has now been largely discarded to be replaced with a model of technological change that involves innovation at all stages of research, development, diffusion and use. When spoken about "modeling technological change" often the process of innovation is meant. This process of continuous improvement is often modeled as a curve depicting decreasing costs over time (for instance fuel cell which have become cheaper every year).

TC is often modelled using a learning curve, ex.: Ct=C0 * Xt^-b

TC itself is often included in other models (for instance climate change models) and was often taken as an exogenous factor. These days TC is more often included as an endogenous factor. This means that it is taken as something you can influence. It is generally accepted[by whom?] that policy can influence the speed and direction of TC (for instance more towards clean technologies). This is referred to as Induced Technological Change.

Invention
The creation of something new, or a "breakthrough" technology. For example, a personal computer.

Diffusion
The spread of a technology through a society or industry. The diffusion of a technology generally follows an S-shaped curve as early versions of technology are rather unsuccessful, followed by a period of successful innovation with high levels of adoption, and finally a dropping off in adoption as a technology reaches its maximum potential in a market. In the case of a personal computer, it has made way beyond homes and into business settings, such as office workstations and server machines to host websites.

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline sitetest

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 01:29:50 pm »
Wrong on so many levels.  The technological advances being seen today will be taught to students in far away galaxies in the future.   The American empire that our parents started was the beginning, not the end.

In economics, technological change is a change in the set of feasible production possibilities.  A technological innovation is Hicks neutral, following John Hicks (1932), if a change in technology does not change the ratio of capital's marginal product to labour's marginal product for a given capital-to-labour ratio. A technological innovation is Harrod neutral (following Roy Harrod) if the technology is labour-augmenting (i.e. helps labor); it is Solow neutral if the technology is capital-augmenting (i.e. helps capital).

Technological change can cause the production-possibility frontier to shift outward, allowing economic growth

Technological change, technological development, technological achievement, or technological progress is the overall process of invention, innovation and diffusion of technology or processes. In essence technological change is the invention of technologies (including processes) and their commercialization via research and development (producing emerging technologies), the continual improvement of technologies (in which they often become less expensive), and the diffusion of technologies throughout industry or society (which sometimes involves disruption and convergence). In short, technological change is based on both better and more technology.

Modeling technological change
In its earlier days, technological change was illustrated with the 'Linear Model of Innovation', which has now been largely discarded to be replaced with a model of technological change that involves innovation at all stages of research, development, diffusion and use. When spoken about "modeling technological change" often the process of innovation is meant. This process of continuous improvement is often modeled as a curve depicting decreasing costs over time (for instance fuel cell which have become cheaper every year).

TC is often modelled using a learning curve, ex.: Ct=C0 * Xt^-b

TC itself is often included in other models (for instance climate change models) and was often taken as an exogenous factor. These days TC is more often included as an endogenous factor. This means that it is taken as something you can influence. It is generally accepted[by whom?] that policy can influence the speed and direction of TC (for instance more towards clean technologies). This is referred to as Induced Technological Change.

Invention
The creation of something new, or a "breakthrough" technology. For example, a personal computer.

Diffusion
The spread of a technology through a society or industry. The diffusion of a technology generally follows an S-shaped curve as early versions of technology are rather unsuccessful, followed by a period of successful innovation with high levels of adoption, and finally a dropping off in adoption as a technology reaches its maximum potential in a market. In the case of a personal computer, it has made way beyond homes and into business settings, such as office workstations and server machines to host websites.

I'm not sure you quite understood my post.
Former Republican.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:58:11 pm »
I'm not sure you quite understood my post.

I believe I understand completely.  My point is that technological change (i.e. new manufacturing processes) is good, benefits society, and promotes growth.  I'm sure the the line workers on the Model T in 1908 shared some of these same concerns:

Henry Ford did not invent the automobile. But more than any other single individual, he was responsible for transforming the automobile from an invention of unknown utility into an innovation that profoundly shaped the 20th century and continues to affect the 21st.

Innovators change things. They take new ideas, sometimes their own, sometimes other people’s, and develop and promote those ideas until they become an accepted part of daily life. Innovation requires self-confidence, a taste for taking risks, leadership ability and a vision of what the future should be.

Henry Ford had all these characteristics, but it took him many years to develop all of them fully.

https://www.thehenryford.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/default-document-library/henryfordandinnovation.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 02:08:41 pm »
Elon “P.T.”  Musk,  the Patron Saint of All that is Good and Virtuous in the New World. So this is another of Saint Elon's idea's that will be praised like Moses bringing the tablets down from the mountaintop, and that the sky will be bluer and our grass greener for it.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 02:38:54 pm »
Elon “P.T.”  Musk,  the Patron Saint of All that is Good and Virtuous in the New World. So this is another of Saint Elon's idea's that will be praised like Moses bringing the tablets down from the mountaintop, and that the sky will be bluer and our grass greener for it.

It really gets tiring on each and every Telsa, SpaceX, and Musk thread all the hate, stupidity and lack of knowledge.  I don't see posters here actually creating jobs, factories, technological innovation, reusable space engine platforms, etc.  I'm personally engaged in my community for economic development and know many families looking forward to good paying jobs for the planned Camden Spaceport facility in St. Marys, Georgia.  I welcome these exciting efforts and our future job opportunities. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 02:40:38 pm »

Why not?  What if Nevada wants to get the battery factory "Gigafactory 1," and is willing to "invest" in Tesla's success in the form of incentives for them to locate there?

Nevada did get the factory, and will enjoy the economic benefits of the plant. If it works anything like defense/aerospace there will be many other related business near the basic plant.

My estimate would be that Nevada voters approve of gaining this new employer to their state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sitetest

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 03:10:26 pm »
I believe I understand completely.  My point is that technological change (i.e. new manufacturing processes) is good, benefits society, and promotes growth.  I'm sure the the line workers on the Model T in 1908 shared some of these same concerns:

https://www.thehenryford.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/default-document-library/henryfordandinnovation.pdf?sfvrsn=0

No, you seemed to have missed my point.  But that's all right, what will happen, will happen.  All Hail the American Caesar.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:11:05 pm by sitetest »
Former Republican.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 03:24:38 pm »
It really gets tiring on each and every Telsa, SpaceX, and Musk thread all the hate, stupidity and lack of knowledge.  I don't see posters here actually creating jobs, factories, technological innovation, reusable space engine platforms, etc.  I'm personally engaged in my community for economic development and know many families looking forward to good paying jobs for the planned Camden Spaceport facility in St. Marys, Georgia.  I welcome these exciting efforts and our future job opportunities.

Donald Trump and Saint Elon are the huckster twins.    Leg hump them both all you want.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 04:41:03 pm »
Donald Trump and Saint Elon are the huckster twins.    Leg hump them both all you want.

WOW.  Thank you for your permission.   Yes, I will continue to attempt to find leading companies and industries for my community.  Last time I looked, Telsa and SpaceX have over 18,000 employees not to mention the number of suppliers and subcontractor's employees throughout the country. 

Not sure I understand what Trump has to do with this thread however I would assume Trump Corporation's 22,000 employees appreciate their pay check?  Thanks for adding meaningful and intelligent debate to this subject matter.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »

Not sure I understand what Trump has to do with this thread however I would assume Trump Corporation's 22,000 employees appreciate their pay check?  Thanks for adding meaningful and intelligent debate to this subject matter.

Don't be obtuse...Both are conmen, hucksters, sucker shuckers..... which is why you are enamored with them both.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 04:54:04 pm »
Just read that Tesla makes efforts to hire veterans. In addition to their various facilities, they are building a big new office in Costa Mesa (or Newport Beach) along the 55 freeway near the intersection with the 73 freeway or the 405 freeway.

While angry, resentful old codgers bemoan the emerging world around them, some are building the future. My BIL is a very conservative fellow, lived in Reno since the 70s.

There is talk of a pro football team to be sited in Las Vegas, if other options in California do not work out. There is a lot of business in Vegas, besides just gambling/entertainment/vacation resorts.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 05:15:19 pm »
Just read that Tesla makes efforts to hire veterans.

Yes, "ignorance is bliss", even at TBR...  Telsa has a great reputation for hiring vets since its inception.  There are numerous articles such as the one below if one resarched the subject:

Tesla's workforce is exploding as it expands production of its Model S, prepares to launch the Model X crossover SUV and enters new markets overseas. The company now has more than 6,000 employees, and of those, 300 -- or roughly 5 percent -- are veterans, including its logistics director, former Navy officer Adam Plumpton. An additional 600 veteran candidates are in the hiring pipeline, according to Geshuri.

"Tesla has risen to the top" among companies known for creating veteran-friendly workplaces, said Ted Daywalt, president and CEO of VetJobs, the nation's leading military job board. "They have a good reputation. They hire veterans who can talk to other veterans. There is a language in the military, and having someone who can speak the lingo is important."

Veterans are a good fit for Tesla because many gained advanced technical, electrical and mechanical skills while serving in the military -- skills applicable to making electric cars. They are also accustomed to working as part of tightly-knit groups.

Greg Reichow, Tesla's vice president of production, says the company is eager to hire veterans because they've found them to be excellent employees who share the company's sense of mission.

"At Tesla we're not just building cars. We're trying to transform transportation," Reichow said. "They also know how to lead teams, focus teams and function on teams, and they have incredible integrity and discipline."

Tesla's efforts are twofold. It is aggressively recruiting veterans while trying to create a culture where veterans feel supported and appreciated once they are onboard.

Jason Noma, a former Army sergeant and intelligence analyst, focuses specifically on military recruiting as a member of Tesla's burgeoning HR team, and has helped ramp up efforts to hire veterans through word of mouth, partnerships with veterans groups and recent events like the Oakland Veteran Job Fair.

In the bustling third-floor cafeteria of the Tesla factory in Fremont, a vintage "Uncle Sam" poster invites veterans to connect with other veterans via a series of casual monthly gatherings held on site. All vets, regardless of military branch or length of service, are welcome to attend and share ideas on how to improve internal programs. Many vets wear exclusive T-shirts emblazoned with the Tesla logo and the American flag, and Veterans Day is a companywide paid holiday. But the company's support for former and current military personnel does not end there.

"HR was phenomenal with my deployment," said Jason Deming, a 35-year-old vehicle test technician who is also a member of the Air National Guard and was deployed last year to Afghanistan with the Moffett Field-based 129th Rescue Wing. "I can serve my country and save lives but also work on the forefront of technology."

Deployments can be disruptive for both employers and employees, but Tesla industrial engineering technician and National Guard member Megan Gates said the company was very accommodating when she, in August 2011, was activated to Camp Roberts near Paso Robles for two years. Tesla held her job open for her, and Gates returned to work in November.

"I spent two years living in barracks repairing equipment and supporting returning units," said Gates, 35. "But Tesla kept in touch with me, and the company made the transition back super easy. I came straight back to work."

While Gates was stationed at Camp Roberts, she became a squad leader and was promoted to sergeant. At Tesla, she was recently promoted to a production supervisor in powertrain, which is basically the brain of Tesla's electric cars. Her promotion goes into effect after she returns from two weeks of Guard training at Fort Irwin, California, later this month.

"I give it 100 percent, whether I'm in uniform in the Guard or in jeans and a T-shirt at Tesla," said Gates. "The military gives you technical skills and experience working on a team, and manufacturing is all about following directions but being flexible."

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26086136/tesla-motors-mission-hire-american-veterans

geronl

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »
Why not?  What if Nevada wants to get the battery factory "Gigafactory 1," and is willing to "invest" in Tesla's success in the form of incentives for them to locate there?

If the people of Nevada want... oh wait... you didn't say people... you said the Government rulers who steal from the pockets of the public should take their money and give it over to a billionaire who might be constructing a white elephant.

Government does not "invest".

geronl

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 05:25:42 pm »

Lets raise taxes 110% and fund a trillion dollar jobs factory, because it sounds like a good idea.

Then again, the free market and government should be as separate as possible.

Musk can build what he likes, asking states to force taxpayers to fund it is just wrong.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 06:07:50 pm »
If the people of Nevada want... oh wait... you didn't say people... you said the Government rulers who steal from the pockets of the public should take their money and give it over to a billionaire who might be constructing a white elephant. Government does not "invest".

I thought the voters of NV voted for their Governor who made the final decision.  I have not sat down and analyzed the numbers however Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, and California all wanted the factory!  The Nevada tax incentive is not the first and won't be the last to lure companies to their states:

On one level, it’s hardly surprising that Tesla would be the beneficiary of such a deal. States have long seen manufacturing as the perfect place to bet tax dollars, viewing the incentive as a down payment — a lure that will first draw a business, then an industry, then a new population built around the industry.

Often, that money goes to transportation companies. Although there is no federal database for tax incentives, and it’s therefore difficult to account for where money is being spent, car manufacturers have outpaced many other businesses. A 2012 New York Times investigation found that GM earned $1.7 billion in incentives over five years, with Ford and Chrysler close behind. Data from Good Jobs First, a watchdog organization that follows major subsidy deals, has found that the largest subsidy ever offered went to Boeing in 2013 — a deal from the state of Washington that could eventually be worth as much as $8.7 billion.

The potential windfall for a state is alluring. A manufacturer requires suppliers. Entice the company to come to you instead of someplace else, and maybe an entire industry will crop up to work near the first business. Suddenly, you have many more jobs than what you first paid for, and a revitalized service industry may grow to attend to the larger population.

Those people pay their taxes, and in the end, the benefits could outweigh the bargain given out. This idea has guided the thinking behind tax incentives, and helped build the deals into the behemoth they are today. The Tesla deal is just the latest example: Nevada estimates that the factory will bring 6,500 "direct" jobs but 22,700 "total" jobs to the state.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/8/10937076/tesla-gigafactory-battery-factory-nevada-tax-deal-elon-musk

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 06:11:20 pm »
Can't help but admire Musk and his entrepreneurial vision, despite the global warming crap. I have a feeling he just spouts that to get government contracts.

geronl

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 07:00:29 pm »
Government should not fund private enterprise.

Government should not pick winners and losers in private enterprise.

Government should not rob people and businesses to fund their competitors either.

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:39 pm »
Who would name their Kid Elon Musk anyway. 

You know why I edited this... :facepalm2:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:53:59 pm by mystery-ak »