Author Topic: BREAKING: Kristol Eyes Conservative Lawyer David French for Independent Presidential Run  (Read 19592 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
NR lost any respect it had

Wonderful, that still needs to be backed up.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
In reading Mr. French's bio, it appears he leaves out that he a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton and her agenda for the United States.  I'm inferring this given he's agreed to help make sure Hillary Clinton wins the Presidency in 2016 by splitting the vote on the political Right.

So much for French and the result of "Sea Island IV" conferees.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RoosGirl

No conservative third party candidate is going to take electoral votes from Hillary.  Such a candidate will dilute the Rightest vote such at States that could have gone to the R column will go D. 

Which is good for Kristol and his "moar war!" ilk.  Hillary will definitely be putting US boots into harms way during her term.

No quasi-conservative Republican is going to take a vote from me.  Besides, Trump already told us he doesn't need our vote to win.  It's going to be a yuuuge landslide.

Offline RoosGirl

“The truth about these dysfunctional, downscale communities is that they deserve to die. Economically, they are negative assets. “ David French
A confirmed Trump hater

David French did not write that.  That is a quote by Kevin Williamson.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If you're referring to the Republican party, it turned itself over to the dark, Progressive, Global Oligarchy side long ago. Holding on to that status quo and grasping at straws [or sitting on our thumbs] is why we are in this predicament.

RIP GOP

The "party" didn't turn itself over to anyone.  The voters elected these guys.

We keep on trying to blame nefarious conspiracies, the "Uniparty", various "oligarchies", etc.., when the truth is that voters elect these guys for a reason.  If a majority of voters truly wanted small-government conservatism, and that was their priority, that's the government we'd have.

But they don't, so we don't.

Offline Mechanicos

Wonderful, that still needs to be backed up.
David French and his pals Kevin Williamson and Bill Kristol and the rest of that National Review crowd are little more than economic determinists, like a right-wing version of Marxists. Probably no surprise since neoconservatism has its roots in a crew of Leon Trotsky supporters.

For this crowd people and their culture and longstanding communities are cogs in the economy and nothing more. It’s a crass and shallow devaluation of American life that serves the interests of global corporations and hasn’t got damned thing to do with America.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Online Maj. Bill Martin

David French did not write that.  That is a quote by Kevin Williamson.

That's a distinction without a difference given how strongly French endorsed not only the substance of Williamson's article, but the tone:

Last week I wrote a lengthy Corner post in support of Kevin Williamson’s excellent (and strongly-worded) attack on the notion that white working-class voters constitute just another American victim class.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/433060/white-working-class-debate-facts-can-be-nasty

Let's at least be honest with ourselves.  If a Democrat we didn't like said they supported an "excellent and strongly-worded" article written by someone else, and we thought that article to be offensive and/or politically-damaging, we wouldn't hesitate to hang it on them.  Does anyone dispute that?

Offline RoosGirl

Is there something wrong with attributing words correctly?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

David French and his pals Kevin Williamson and Bill Kristol and the rest of that National Review crowd are little more than economic determinists, like a right-wing version of Marxists. Probably no surprise since neoconservatism has its roots in a crew of Leon Trotsky supporters.

For this crowd people and their culture and longstanding communities are cogs in the economy and nothing more. It’s a crass and shallow devaluation of American life that serves the interests of global corporations and hasn’t got damned thing to do with America.

What bugs me about that article is that it reeks of a sneering condescension towards people who aren't as well educated.  I ran into this stuff all the time both in and after law school after I left the military, and it really ticked me off.  People routinely making fun of blue-collar people, including enlisted military personnel, for their tacky wardrobes, bad music, and for shopping at Wal-Mart.   All I could think about was the troops I led, and how these wine-sippers loved to mock them.  French is a vet, sure.  But he served as a JAG, and appears to have picked up some of that condescending attitude while attending Harvard Law -- big shocker there.

And it validates on every level what a lot of Trump supporters believe the "elites" think about them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:35:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Is there something wrong with attributing words correctly?

Trump and his minions have become masters of obfuscation
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Trump and Bernie supporters now sound so much alike each other that I lack the ability to tell them apart anymore. It also happened so slowly I never noticed it.

Shame on me I guess.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:37:47 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline RoosGirl

Let's at least be honest with ourselves.  If a Democrat we didn't like said they supported an "excellent and strongly-worded" article written by someone else, and we thought that article to be offensive and/or politically-damaging, we wouldn't hesitate to hang it on them.  Does anyone dispute that?

If a democrat supporter an excellent and strongly-worded article that championed personal responsibility instead of blaming the gov't and then waiting for the gov't to fix the problem they created I would be quite pleased!

Offline Poser

Total crap. Trump is what split the vote on the right. If you don't want Clinton, then dump trump and support someone we can all vote for.

We can't dump trump. He is our nominee. No amount of whining will help. It will just get Hillary Clinton elected. If that's what you want, just say so and move to the Democrat party.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

If a democrat supporter an excellent and strongly-worded article that championed personal responsibility instead of blaming the gov't and then waiting for the gov't to fix the problem they created I would be quite pleased!

I'd support an article targeted specifically at those who don't believe in personal responsibility, and who blame the government instead.  And while I'm sure that was the intent of both Williamson and French, they're writers, and they should be judged by the words they used rather than by their intent.  They did not draw that distinction based on individuals, and I think that was on purpose.  Their goals were to be provocative, and therefore interesting, so headline-grabbing broad perjoratives help accomplish that..

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed that (with a few exceptions), anyone who is pro-Trump will inevitably put the best possible spon on every stupid thing he or any of his supporters say.  And people who are anti-Trump will likewise glom on to even the absolute crappiest argument, as long as it is anti-Trump.  It's what makes reasoned discussion close to an impossibility, because too many people choose sides in an argument not based on the actual facts and circumstances of that particular issue, but instead whether it is pro or anti Trump.

I almost don't have to read actual posts any more -- just read the name, and I can be 90% sure of what they're going to say on a pro or anti-Trump article.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:55:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What bugs me about that article is that it reeks of a sneering condescension towards people who aren't as well educated.  I ran into this stuff all the time both in and after law school after I left the military, and it really ticked me off.  People routinely making fun of blue-collar people, including enlisted military personnel, for their tacky wardrobes, bad music, and for shopping at Wal-Mart.   All I could think about was the troops I led, and how these wine-sippers loved to mock them.  French is a vet, sure.  But he served as a JAG, and appears to have picked up some of that condescending attitude while attending Harvard Law -- big shocker there.

And it validates on every level what a lot of Trump supporters believe the "elites" think about them.

And French joins Harvard and other highly educated Republican elites, sharing the same type of condescension that the left holds.

Can you say Romney, Bush, just to start the list?

Trump is trying to command enough voters to win. Kristol and his pals only want to make a show, and lose.

Both Clintons, both Yale Law. Romney Harvard-JDMBA.  GW Bush Harvard-MBA. Bill Kristol Harvard.

These people ALONE feel it is their near-divine right to rule. It makes little difference if it is a D or an R.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Maj. Bill Martin

And French joins Harvard and other highly educated Republican elites, sharing the same type of condescension that the left holds.

Can you say Romney, Bush, just to start the list?

Trump is trying to command enough voters to win. Kristol and his pals only want to make a show, and lose.

Both Clintons, both Yale Law. Romney Harvard-JDMBA.  GW Bush Harvard-MBA. Bill Kristol Harvard.

These people ALONE feel it is their near-divine right to rule. It makes little difference if it is a D or an R.

I don't have a problem per se with someone having an Ivy League education.  I've known some good, down to earth people who've graduated from Harvard.  But there is certainly a taint of arrogance/condescension among a lot of folks towards those who are less well educated.  French is right in that the attitude he describes does exist.  He just shouldn't have lumped everyone in that same basket without pointing out all the white blue collar people who don't complain, and are self-reliant.

Offline RoosGirl

It seems like people are getting hung up on being offended by the wording of the article rather than the message.  Maybe I'm too dumb to read in all of the possible meanings that *could* be meant by this word or that word.  I had never heard of the guy before, here comes this article by Politico that wants me to believe he wants middle class Americans to die, so I go and read the actual article.  It says everything that conservatives have been saying for year; take responsibility for your own life, don't wait for the gov't to bail you out.  Now it seems that some people think this isn't fair, and perhaps it isn't, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect.

Would you feel better if the guy stated how unfair the situation was?  How difficult the course was going to be?  Are we 5 year olds or are we adults?  Adults shouldn't need attaboys to do the right thing.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

It seems like people are getting hung up on being offended by the wording of the article rather than the message.

The reason for that is that French is now thinking of making the jump from writer to politician.  And whereas writers can employ that "literary license" to make a point, we all know that politicians get crunched for saying things that are offensive, even if the underlying point has merit.  Remember Romney's 47%?

Would you feel better if the guy stated how unfair the situation was?  How difficult the course was going to be?  Are we 5 year olds or are we adults?  Adults shouldn't need attaboys to do the right thing.

No.  But I'd feel a lot better if his article had started off with something like:

"A great many white, blue collar Americans have been working very hard to make the transition to a new economy, and have raised proud families who serve in our military, build our products, earn their part of the American Dream.  But too often, there are others who have not accepted that personal responsibility.  Too often, they give up when faced with adversity, etc. etc. etc."

That's my point.  If you're going to launch a broadside at a group that you've defined by race and education, then you owe it to individuals in that group not to lump them all together.  He didn't do that even after readers complained that the article was offensive.  At that point, why not make it clear that you were only talking about a dysfunctional subgroup of that population?  He couldn't even be bothered to do that.

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

Been here a month, I see the first troll.  Are you a FR double-naught spy?   

A NR writer supporting Clinton?   HA HA HA HA HA......Nice try.
Been here a month after getting banned on FR for trying to reason with Trump supporters.  Hopefully I won't be banned here for trying to reason with #NeverTrump (i.e. #Yay!Hillary) supporters. 

As to National Review, stopped reading them in 2012 when they trashed Gingrich and went all in for Romney before the primary was over.  And I still voted for Romney.  Because I knew what Obama was going to do in his last term if he won.  He won and I was right.
#NeverTrump = #HillarySupremeCourt
We can survive four years of Trump, we can't survive thirty years of Hillary's Supreme Court picks.

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

Total crap. Trump is what split the vote on the right. If you don't want Clinton, then dump trump and support someone we can all vote for.
We can all vote for Trump.  Some will choose not to, because they spent a lot of time dealing with the vilest of the vile Trump supporters on other sites, and the hurt feelings are still real.  I tried pointing out that the Trumpkins would need people to vote for their guy and that they should stop being douchebags, and got banned for my trouble.
We can survive four years of Trump, we can't survive thirty years of Hillary's Supreme Court picks.

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

You need to back that up somehow. As catfish pointed out, he's a NR writer.
Being an NR writer should mean Mr. French understands that his getting in as an independent just makes it easier for Hillary to win.  I'm assuming he is a bright guy (read his stuff - seems bright) - and since he is bright, he thus can be assumed to know what he is doing, and is OK with it.  Thus, he is a Hillary supporter. 

You'd think as a military guy and a Christian, he'd want to reverse Obama's LGBT military takeover.  Hillary certainly won't reverse it/  Can't say Trump WILL, but I know Hillary WILL NOT.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Been here a month after getting banned on FR for trying to reason with Trump supporters.  Hopefully I won't be banned here for trying to reason with #NeverTrump (i.e. #Yay!Hillary) supporters. 

As to National Review, stopped reading them in 2012 when they trashed Gingrich and went all in for Romney before the primary was over.  And I still voted for Romney.  Because I knew what Obama was going to do in his last term if he won.  He won and I was right.

Welcome, and you should be fine here, as long as you keep it above the belt.

Offline roamer_1

We can't dump trump. He is our nominee. No amount of whining will help. It will just get Hillary Clinton elected. If that's what you want, just say so and move to the Democrat party.

Nah, I'll move to the Constitution Party, and vote for a Conservative... Or this French guy, if he shows up. See, I'll be supporting Conservatism, and neither of the NY Liberals will see my vote.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Welcome to TBR!    I had subscribed for years to NR but let it lapse somewhere along the way.   I was pleased to re-subscribe this year in response to their "Against Trump" issue.    NR is still the classy, substantive voice for real conservatism it always was.   Now the task is to flush Trump, hunker down to survive the Clinton years, and restore an honorable conservative coalition. 

We had a golden opportunity this year and blew it.  We'll get back up off the floor,  we always do.     
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:25:15 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

We can all vote for Trump.  Some will choose not to, because they spent a lot of time dealing with the vilest of the vile Trump supporters on other sites, and the hurt feelings are still real.  I tried pointing out that the Trumpkins would need people to vote for their guy and that they should stop being douchebags, and got banned for my trouble.

No, we cannot all vote for Trump. It has nothing to do with hurt feelings. It has everything to do with expecting me to endorse (positively approve of) a NY City liberal with no moral or principled compass whatsoever. That is simply never going to happen.