Author Topic: Class, Trump, and the Election  (Read 478 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Class, Trump, and the Election
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:40:21 pm »
Class, Trump, and the Election

The entire establishments of both political parties are losing the illusion that they are clothed. The Clintons and their appendages famously became rich by monetizing their public positions through shakedowns of the international corporate set, under the patina of egalitarian progressivism. No one in the media for a decade has said a word about their criminal enterprise; commentators were more likely to donate to the Clinton Foundation as a sort of business investment or indemnity insurance. And how in the world does a middle-class ex-teacher and congressman with a 20-year tenure like Dennis Hastert end up with millions to pay hush money to the victims of his alleged pederastic assaults? How did a Harry Reid become a Nevada multimillionaire? How many middle-class workers’ annual incomes does Hillary Clinton trump in a single 20-minute Wall Street speech, whose content is vacuous? Where, then, is Occupy Wall Street?

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/436015/trump-anti-establishment-vote

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Class, Trump, and the Election
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:20 pm »
Class, Trump? Trump has no class.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:01:59 pm »
Good article.

Donald Trump is unlikely to defeat Hillary Clinton unless he, an insider billionaire with little political knowledge, can appeal to the concerns of millions that cut across the Democratic firewalls of race and class. If a mom in Orange County thinks that Benghazi did make a difference and ISIS is a murderous Islamic terrorist enterprise, if an African-American youth believes that someone should try to hire him on a building site in preference to an illegal alien, and if a cosmetician believes that one violation of a federal law will land her in jail while many violations may land Hillary in the White House, then class trumps identity politics.

Too bad Donald Trump is incapable and/or has no desire to articulate any it that, nor is he the right candidate to do so, since Trump himself has hired foreigners over Americans. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:02:49 pm by Eowyn »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:52 pm »
There's another element of class that's been talked about, and I think there's some validity to it as affecting Trump.  I think it focuses largely around education, but also includes what a lot of people actually think of as "class".

For some people, who tend to be more educated than average, there are certain rules of how you are supposed to conduct yourself in public.  Things you do/don't say, etc..  And it also includes a certain expectation that people in leadership positions are going to speak in a more educated, sophisticated manner.  Not like a politician, but like someone who is educated and sophisticated.  It's the difference between how a good executive might speak versus how a good foreman will speak.  Neither is right or wrong, but different tones work best in different situations, and when speaking to different audiences.  And I'm not saying that being educated/sophisticated implies softness.  Churchill was hard as granite, but had an incredible command of the language.

I think a lot of what Trump says hits people at a pretty visceral level.  My job and other parts of my background have made me be able to communicate in either fashion, but when it comes to leadership, I just lean on a gut level to someone who has command of the language and expresses themselves well.  That's a bias, and it may be an unfair one, but it exists.  I don't even know if it is right to try to overcome it, or not.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:19:10 pm »
VDH is the best writer at NR IMO. His articles on California and the farce that it has become are stupendous.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:40:25 pm »
LOL.  That's what I was thinking to.  But he means class in the other way.  It's a great read.

I know but I couldn't resist.  ^-^
Principles matter. Words matter.