Author Topic: SiriusXM Announces Suspension of Glenn Beck over Brad Thor Interview Comments  (Read 6511 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I read the transcript, and I don't see it as a personal threat against Trump if he is president.   It was a simple question. If Trump, or any sitting president for that matter goes totalitarian on us, and congress is unable to remove him from office, what other means are there? Who left can remove him from office if congress doesn't?   Nothing of what Thor said or Beck agreeing with him on, warrants a knock on the door by the SS.

Thor then declared that in such a case, Congress would not be able to remove Trump from office by “legal means” through impeachment, so Thor asked “what patriot will step up and do that” if Trump oversteps his Constitutional restraints. Beck agreed with Thor’s assessment.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Thor then declared that in such a case, Congress would not be able to remove Trump from office by “legal means” through impeachment, so Thor asked “what patriot will step up and do that” if Trump oversteps his Constitutional restraints. Beck agreed with Thor’s assessment.

Don-o, you're cherry picking. 

Offline musiclady

Cut out the mind reading and broad brush part....

SiriusXM obviously knows what they think about the context.

What mind reading or broad brush is involved in wanting to find out all the facts, and the background of what happened?

As for Sirius, I don't know what the political views are behind this decision.  Again........... I'd rather have complete information than draw conclusions based on what may have been an impulse decision or one based on political pressure.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
The irony of those words coming from you is remarkable, alice.....

Oh, and I don't know the total context of what Beck said, so I wouldn't defend or accuse him about this until I heard all sides of it.  I just know to doubt what 'haters' say about him.  (That IS the word you Trump people use to accuse anyone who disagrees with you, isn't it?)

btw, the beautiful day here is slightly marred by the presence of cicadas and a sound that makes one feel like we're on the set of the Sci-Fi thriller, "THEM!"........

Isn't this the year of the 17 year cycle of them?  I remember the last time - they were all over the place.

Yes, musiclady - I did use the term "hate" referring to Glenn Beck.  I don't know what else you can call his 24/7 obsession with trying to bring the man down.  If only he had used all of those broadcast times to promote something positive, he might have had better results.  Hate eats at you like that.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

Isn't this the year of the 17 year cycle of them?  I remember the last time - they were all over the place.

Yes, musiclady - I did use the term "hate" referring to Glenn Beck.  I don't know what else you can call his 24/7 obsession with trying to bring the man down.  If only he had used all of those broadcast times to promote something positive, he might have had better results.  Hate eats at you like that.

Yep.  This is our 17 year cycle, and we're in a wooded area, so it's pretty intense.  Just have to wait it out.

You know I disagree with you, but Beck (and especially Stu) brought out a lot of relevant information, including many audio quotes proving who Trump really is.......... a Progressive liberal.   They did a great service by telling the truth that Rush and Hannity were afraid to tell......... Beck's weird personality notwithstanding.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
What mind reading or broad brush is involved in wanting to find out all the facts, and the background of what happened?

That is not what my "Broad brush / mind reading" comment was referring to. It was referring to.... .

From Reply 20

I just know to doubt what 'haters' say about him.  (That IS the word you Trump people use to accuse anyone who disagrees with you, isn't it?)

You are assuming that @alicewonders fits your characterization of "you Trump people." The way your comment strikes me is that you are assuming the worst about one you disagree with.

That is a quite common mindset. But, it usually derails the conversation from the original topic.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Beck is too crying and way too preachy for my taste.

"Did you ever...(long pause)...did you ever...(crying sound)...just think about life...(pause)...and Jesus...and your father?"

OMG, change the channel, now!

I wonder how Beck feels knowing that he and Rosie O'Donnell are both on the exact same page with regard to Trump.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
:bigsilly:

Can't refute it so you are reduced to posting silly emoticons?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
You know what's funny? If Trump said these things, it would be laughed off by many as 'he just isn't politically correct', 'he says what a lot of people are thinking', 'he is refreshing', etc.

I bet it would be pretty easy to find almost identical comments about Obama and even Bush from Freepers, many of whom are now jumping on Beck.

Offline NavyCanDo

I don't know what else you can call his 24/7 obsession with trying to bring the man down.  If only he had used all of those broadcast times to promote something positive, he might have had better results.  Hate eats at you like that.

You don't seem to know the content of the Glenn Beck Program at all. He is not bashing Trump 24/7. He spends much of his time educating his audience on the dangers of progressives and where they are trying to take this country, as he should. That's why we like his program. That's why we have always liked it - long before this election.    But much of his programing is promoting the positive, like his dynamic charity Mercury One, and follow-up from his Restoring Love event which drew more than 65000 people at Cowboys Stadium.  Yes part of his programming is warning us against falling for Trump, but it is not close to being the majority of his air time, much less 24/7, which on your part is a huge exaggeration.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Mental health professionals and LEO's in my state are authorized to do exactly that if someone has mentioned harm to themselves or others. That person may be compelled to undergo a psych eval.

FYI in California it is called "51/50" or "5150" which is legal authority for a 72 hour hold in cases where the subject (patient) is deemed to be a "threat to themselves or others."

The order is confine, THEN evaluate.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

That is not what my "Broad brush / mind reading" comment was referring to. It was referring to.... .

From Reply 20

You are assuming that @alicewonders fits your characterization of "you Trump people." The way your comment strikes me is that you are assuming the worst about one you disagree with.

That is a quite common mindset. But, it usually derails the conversation from the original topic.

Let me just correct you a bit by letting you know that I've been involved on this board and in these discussions for a long time.  Rest assured that 'm not "assuming" anything.

You can believe me if you wish, or you can "assume" the worst of me.  :beer:

Offline musiclady

You don't seem to know the content of the Glenn Beck Program at all. He is not bashing Trump 24/7. He spends much of his time educating his audience on the dangers of progressives and where they are trying to take this country, as he should. That's why we like his program. That's why we have always liked it - long before this election.    But much of his programing is promoting the positive, like his dynamic charity Mercury One, and follow-up from his Restoring Love event which drew more than 65000 people at Cowboys Stadium.  Yes part of his programming is warning us against falling for Trump, but it is not close to being the majority of his air time, much less 24/7, which on your part is a huge exaggeration.

Thank you for the factual corrective, Navy.  It needed to be done.

geronl

Trump is the nut that needs to be committed.

Brad Thor 4 President!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Let me just correct you a bit by letting you know that I've been involved on this board and in these discussions for a long time.  Rest assured that 'm not "assuming" anything.

You can believe me if you wish, or you can "assume" the worst of me.  :beer:

Backing off here. I can take a hint.

Silver Pines

Stephen K. Bannon is firmly in the DT camp and has been publishing hit pieces on Cruz, Beck and anyone who says anything positive about Cruz for some time.

So, what did Thor and Beck actually say? Here is the transcript of the conversation from Breitbart (I just quoted the most relevant part and emphases are mine):

I heard the interview when it aired, and it was clear that Thor was speaking of ways a dictator could be brought to trial.  The sources trying to push the assassination stuff are the usual suspects---Breitbart, Gateway Pundit, FR, etc., or in other words, those that have sold out for Trump.

Thor was just on Dana Loesch's show.  He said of course he wasn't talking about assassination, and to prove it, he said he has not been contacted by the Secret Service.  I wonder why Sirius waited until Beck went on his regular week's vacation to suspend him for that week.

When Dana's podcast goes up, I'll link it here.

geronl

I wonder how Beck feels knowing that he and Rosie O'Donnell are both on the exact same page with regard to Trump.

Not really Beck knows what Trump is, and Rosie thinks he is something he isn't

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Short, succinct and correct.  (Well, if you put a comma after "not really".)

geronl

Short, succinct and correct.  (Well, if you put a comma after "not really".)

:chairbang:

Silver Pines

I've listened to Beck during the last year more than I have in the past, and have enjoyed him more than previously.

He's always been over the edge emotionally, but much worse in the past than recently.  (I stopped listening to all talk radio when Trump sealed the nomination because I realized that there was nothing more that could be done to save America).

And with all the facts that Stu has brought up about who Trump is, what he has said, and the positions he holds as a Progressive, I believe Beck's show has done a great service in informing America about who Trump really is vs. the lies he's telling on the campaign trail.

I agree.  I'm not generally a Beck fan, but I give him and his staff credit for exposing the truth about Trump, and having the fortitude to stay on it, when others have succumbed to the celebrity allure.  I'm unapologetically #NeverTrump, and I have no problem admitting I like listening to someone with the same perspective.  But when Beck starts getting preachy, or when he gets up close to the mic and he goes into breathy, dramatic mode, I turn him off.

Silver Pines

Pretty much what I told a friend of mine the other day.  She detests Trump, but I sense that she's trying to find a reason to justify voting for him.  She told me that at least the left hates him; she can't see herself aligning with them in anyway.

I told her we aren't aligned with them; they think Trump is the arch-conservative, and we know he's a liberal sleaze.

Offline Mesaclone

I read the transcript, and I don't see it as a personal threat against Trump if he is president.   It was a simple question. If Trump, or any sitting president for that matter goes totalitarian on us, and congress is unable to remove him from office, what other means are there? Who left can remove him from office if congress doesn't?   Nothing of what Thor said or Beck agreeing with him on, warrants a knock on the door by the SS.

First, I think its despicable but I don't see anything he said as being outside the protections of the 1st amendment...he came right up the boundary though. I'm more disturbed by his line of thought as to "if congress does nothing to stop Trump", that someone should then take things into their own hands. That's ludicrous. If a president oversteps his bounds, the House...as the bi-annually elected reps of the voting citizens...decides if an impeachment should be sent up and a Senate trial conducted. If the House does not do this...and in this sense the House IS the people...than why would Beck or anyone else argue for "another means" of stopping Trump?

There are many ways the courts, congress and the people limit the power of the Chief Executive (CE)...though many CE's have overstepped their constitutional boundaries (or attempted to do so). All of these tools for limiting exec power remain in place and are effective at removing or restraining CE's who overexert their powers...that applies to Trump as well as it would to an Obama, Clinton or Cruz presidency. Small overreaches of power are met generally by electoral consequences and by court empowered actions...big power over-reaches can face impeachment or, again, the electorate in a voting process every four years. So the whole idea that "we have to be prepared to act if Trump over reaches with presidential power" is a canard...as the constitution and country are always prepared to react to such from any president. So, its just plain stupid and paranoid for Beck to entertain discussions of how to EXTRA-constitutionally stop a presidential power overreach...he cetainly CAN discuss it, but its idiocy on his part.   

That line of thought in which someone like Beck discusses how to extra constitutionally stop a president, leads directly to the kind of abrogation of law and the setting aside of the Cpnstitution that he claims to object to...its absurd to suggest that some individual or small group of individuals acting against the will of the people, the courts, the congress and the president to limit power is acceptable. It isn't. There is no credible situations or political excuses that could justify such a thing...so clearly Beck and his pal are nutcakes for even entertaining such an idea. That said, people are allowed to be nutcakes and as neither man explicitly called for the killing of a political leader I still believe it is their right to discuss such a topic...but it shouldn't be forgotten that the real point here is just how idiotic their discussion was. 
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I told her we aren't aligned with them; they think Trump is the arch-conservative, and we know he's a liberal sleaze.

Trump is only a "liberal" in minds of the 10-15% furthest to the right, if even that much.

But to them, the other 85-90% are always called "liberals."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

I agree.  I'm not generally a Beck fan, but I give him and his staff credit for exposing the truth about Trump, and having the fortitude to stay on it, when others have succumbed to the celebrity allure.  I'm unapologetically #NeverTrump, and I have no problem admitting I like listening to someone with the same perspective.  But when Beck starts getting preachy, or when he gets up close to the mic and he goes into breathy, dramatic mode, I turn him off.

I'm in a similar situation.  Beck, in his melodramatic moods is insufferable.  My husband says as soon as he hears what tone of voice Beck's using, he knows when to change the channel .  ^-^

There have been a few times, however, when Beck would tell the truth that others were afraid to tell.  He was exposing Obama, Van Jones, Valerie Jarret, and a number of others when no other talk show or TV personality would touch them.

I very much respect the courage Beck has shown in his constancy about exposing the truth about Trump.  He literally put his life in danger (the threats he's received from some of these 'patriots' have been alarming), but he never backed off.

He's still a little nutty, and I can't handle a steady diet of him, but he's performed an enormous service in exposing Trump.

He's going to be saying a lot of "I told you so's" in the coming months/years.......