Author Topic: SiriusXM Announces Suspension of Glenn Beck over Brad Thor Interview Comments  (Read 6514 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
SiriusXM Announces Suspension of Glenn Beck over Brad Thor Interview Comments

Breitbart News   May 31, 2016

SiriusXM hosts Stephen K. Bannon and David Webb announced on Breitbart News Daily that SiriusXM has suspended Glenn Beck and Webb will temporarily take over Beck’s 9AM to noon Eastern time slot on SiriusXM’s Patriot Channel 125.

SiriusXM issued the following statement:

SiriusXM encourages a diversity of discourse and opinion on our talk programs. However, comments recently made by a guest on the independently produced Glenn Beck Program, in our judgement, may be reasonably construed by some to have been advocating harm against an individual currently running for office, which we cannot and will not condone. For that reason, we have suspended The Glenn Beck Program from our Patriot channel for the coming week and are evaluating its place in our lineup going forward. SiriusXM is committed to a spirited, robust, yet responsible political conversation and believes this action reflects those values.

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2016/05/31/siriusxm-announces-suspension-glenn-beck-brad-thor-interview-comments/

Good!  These nuts need to be committed and evaluated.  I believe they are a danger to themselves and others.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
#neverbeck here.

But, David Webb could use a voice box transplant.

Big sat radio user here. Thanks for posting this!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
SiriusXM Announces Suspension of Glenn Beck over Brad Thor Interview Comments

B
Good!  These nuts need to be committed and evaluated.  I believe they are a danger to themselves and others.

Maybe a special camp to help those who say bad things get reeducated?

Don't get me wrong, what Thor said was wrong. Any attack on the President, no matter what you think about him, is an attack on this country. However, to have someone committed for speech? Seriously? If you listen, Thor was pretty vague and was asked in the literary sense, he didn't say 'go out and do it'.  What other speech offenses do you want people committed for?

Offline alicewonders

Don't get me wrong, what Thor said was wrong. Any attack on the President, no matter what you think about him, is an attack on this country. However, to have someone committed for speech? Seriously? If you listen, Thor was pretty vague and was asked in the literary sense, he didn't say 'go out and do it'.  What other speech offenses do you want people committed for?

Looking at the totality of what Beck has been saying this last year - I absolutely believe that his family and friends should intervene.....

.....just sayin'.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Looking at the totality of what Beck has been saying this last year - I absolutely believe that his family and friends should intervene.....

.....just sayin'.

Totality? Wow, I didn't know you listened to him that much. Or are you not actually referring to the totality of what he said but a few pull quotes the Media Matters people like to pull out? Kind of like the 'stabbing' comment Beck actually never made? But, because it was reported he said it over and over, people assumed it was true?
http://www.mediaite.com/online/beck-if-i-were-next-to-trump-at-gop-debate-with-a-knife-the-stabbing-just-wouldnt-stop/

Or even in this case, it is reported Beck said this when actually Brad Thor did?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:36:54 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline bolobaby

You are sooooo right. Anyone who advocates violence should be "committed and evaluated."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5s9kpPZBbg

Yep. Commit first. Evaluate later.

(I do love the order of your steps. Typical way a liberal would look at it. No due process. Just commit. Then we'll evaluate to see if they should actually be committed. I bet you'd have some nice camps set up to "evaluate" the #NeverTrumpers you send there for their anti-Trump statements.)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Beck also said something, maybe something similar in the past, that has to be taken into account as well.

Do people remember that? And Secret Service or Police showed up at the blaze studios to question them.

Your history also plays into the punishment.

I know that previous incident was explained off but still! I see that incident is listed in one of the posts above, the "stabbing" one.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:15:26 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Stephen K. Bannon is firmly in the DT camp and has been publishing hit pieces on Cruz, Beck and anyone who says anything positive about Cruz for some time.

So, what did Thor and Beck actually say? Here is the transcript of the conversation from Breitbart (I just quoted the most relevant part and emphases are mine):

...That is the type of guy he is and I guarantee you, Glenn, that during his presidency, during his reign if you will – he is going to petition the American people to allow a temporary suspension of the Constitution so he can help America get back on its feet again.

He is a danger to America and I got to ask you a question and this is serious and this could ring down incredible heat on me because I’m about to suggest something very bad. It is a hypothetical I am going to ask as a thriller writer.

With the feckless, spineless Congress we have, who will stand in the way of Donald Trump overstepping his constitutional authority as President? If Congress won’t remove him from office, what patriot will step up and do that if, if, he oversteps his mandate as president, his constitutional-granted authority, I should say, as president.

If he oversteps that, how do we get him out of office? And I don’t think there is a legal means available. I think it will be a terrible, terrible position the American people will be in to get Trump out of office because you won’t be able to do it through Congress.

BECK: I would agree with you on that and I don’t think you actually have the voices we’ve been talking about and we’ve been talking about this off-air for a while. I think the voices like ours go away. I don’t think we are allowed – especially if things, and I believe the economy is going to go to crap, even if Jesus was in office. It’s going to naturally reset. It has to.

THOR: Glenn, under the policies of Trump – again, Foreign Affairs – look up what a Caudillo is, C-A-U-D-I-L-L-O. Trump is promoting a protectionism, a nationalism in economics. It has destroyed Latin America. It has destroyed any hope of democracy down there. He will do the same thing here.

People say Hillary is worse? I hate Hillary Clinton’s guts. Hillary Clinton will not do the damage Trump will do. And people are going to come back and say to you and say to me, “You guys were right. We should have listened to you. And you know what? All of those cowards that are throwing in behind Trump because he’s the Republican nominee and they say “it’s too late to do anything.” Shame on you.

He has not been to the convention yet and guess what? If more of us stood up and we took a stand and said we are not going to vote for him. We’re going to make sure he doesn’t get elected, maybe that egomaniac Trump would want to opt out.

If he doesn’t think he can win the presidency because all of us were standing up against him, maybe he would beg off. Maybe he wouldn’t do it. But you know what? All of these go-along-to-get-along Republicans have fallen in behind him and I say shame on you and to hell with every one of you...

Offline alicewonders

Totality? Wow, I didn't know you listened to him that much. Or are you not actually referring to the totality of what he said but a few pull quotes the Media Matters people like to pull out? Kind of like the 'stabbing' comment Beck actually never made? But, because it was reported he said it over and over, people assumed it was true?
http://www.mediaite.com/online/beck-if-i-were-next-to-trump-at-gop-debate-with-a-knife-the-stabbing-just-wouldnt-stop/

Or even in this case, it is reported Beck said this when actually Brad Thor did?

Yes, I've listened to plenty of Beck - I was a paid subscriber until early this year - had been since he started his Glenn Beck TV.  Sent that nut my money every month because I used to like what he had to say.  Then, he went Hate-Trump 24/7 - even though a LOT of his audience was Trump supporters. 

Only a mad man would destroy all the capital that he earned to promote his personal grudge against a candidate that wouldn't come on his show.  He was OK with Trump until then - and yes!  I was watching the show where he told about his staff inviting Trump to come on his show and Trump said - you want me on your show - YOU ask me, not your staff.

Beck said he wouldn't do that and he became infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome that day. 

Only a mad man would cause so many of his employees to lose their jobs because he had a big bad Trump Butt Hurt. 

Offline musiclady

.....just sayin'.

I've listened to Beck during the last year more than I have in the past, and have enjoyed him more than previously.

He's always been over the edge emotionally, but much worse in the past than recently.  (I stopped listening to all talk radio when Trump sealed the nomination because I realized that there was nothing more that could be done to save America).

And with all the facts that Stu has brought up about who Trump is, what he has said, and the positions he holds as a Progressive, I believe Beck's show has done a great service in informing America about who Trump really is vs. the lies he's telling on the campaign trail.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Yep. Commit first. Evaluate later.

(I do love the order of your steps. Typical way a liberal would look at it. No due process. Just commit. Then we'll evaluate to see if they should actually be committed. I bet you'd have some nice camps set up to "evaluate" the #NeverTrumpers you send there for their anti-Trump statements.)

Mental health professionals and LEO's in my state are authorized to do exactly that if someone has mentioned harm to themselves or others. That person may be compelled to undergo a psych eval.

Offline alicewonders

Mental health professionals and LEO's in my state are authorized to do exactly that if someone has mentioned harm to themselves or others. That person may be compelled to undergo a psych eval.

Exactly right Don-o.  I was put in that unthinkable situation myself when I had to have my own father put in a psychiatric hospital for mental evaluation when he threatened a nurse at the nursing home where my mother was.

They barred him from visiting her again until mental health experts deemed him not to be a danger to people there. 

One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.  I don't wish that on any family - but I do think that Beck has gotten away with that kind of behavior because so many people are dependent on him for their income.

I've been up close to that kind of thing and it is my opinion that the man needs help.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Exactly right Don-o.  I was put in that unthinkable situation myself when I had to have my own father put in a psychiatric hospital for mental evaluation when he threatened a nurse at the nursing home where my mother was.

They barred him from visiting her again until mental health experts deemed him not to be a danger to people there. 

One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.  I don't wish that on any family - but I do think that Beck has gotten away with that kind of behavior because so many people are dependent on him for their income.

I've been up close to that kind of thing and it is my opinion that the man needs help.

Just curious, @alicewonders, what is it in what Beck said that concerns you?

Offline musiclady

He's told the truth about who Trump is....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline bolobaby

Great, then, based on the evidence provided, you'll have no problem committing Trump for "evaluation."
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Asking what patriot would "step up" if legal remedies failed to remove a sitting President, and then Beck saying there was water cooler talk about that very thing is a clear red flag; at least to me.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Great, then, based on the evidence provided, you'll have no problem committing Trump for "evaluation."

People say things like Trump said often, check out threads on some criminal committing an unthinkable act. Talking about the assassination of a politician is different.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Asking what patriot would "step up" if legal remedies failed to remove a sitting President, and then Beck saying there was water cooler talk about that very thing is a clear red flag; at least to me.

@don-o, he prefaced it with:  "It is a hypothetical I am going to ask as a thriller writer."

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
@don-o, he prefaced it with:  "It is a hypothetical I am going to ask as a thriller writer."

That dawg won't hunt. That little fig leaf did not impress SiriusXM at all. Seems they figured out their own exposure to criminal liability and took steps to minimize that.

Offline alicewonders

Honestly, I think Beck keeps broaching that subject hoping some loon will take the hint.  I never heard him talk that way about Obama - he wouldn't dare!

I'm not going to go point by point with why I think Beck is sick - too pretty of a day to argue with people whose minds are already set.  I've been down that road before and it's time you never get back.

Have a nice day.

Offline musiclady

Honestly, I think Beck keeps broaching that subject hoping some loon will take the hint.  I never heard him talk that way about Obama - he wouldn't dare!

I'm not going to go point by point with why I think Beck is sick - too pretty of a day to argue with people whose minds are already set.   I've been down that road before and it's time you never get back.

Have a nice day.

The irony of those words coming from you is remarkable, alice.....

Oh, and I don't know the total context of what Beck said, so I wouldn't defend or accuse him about this until I heard all sides of it.  I just know to doubt what 'haters' say about him.  (That IS the word you Trump people use to accuse anyone who disagrees with you, isn't it?)

btw, the beautiful day here is slightly marred by the presence of cicadas and a sound that makes one feel like we're on the set of the Sci-Fi thriller, "THEM!"........

Offline NavyCanDo

I read the transcript, and I don't see it as a personal threat against Trump if he is president.   It was a simple question. If Trump, or any sitting president for that matter goes totalitarian on us, and congress is unable to remove him from office, what other means are there? Who left can remove him from office if congress doesn't?   Nothing of what Thor said or Beck agreeing with him on, warrants a knock on the door by the SS.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I'm not going to go point by point with why I think Beck is sick - too pretty of a day to argue with people whose minds are already set.  I've been down that road before and it's time you never get back.

Have a nice day.

I don't know about Beck broaching, I was just reading what he actually said. 

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Oh, and I don't know the total context of what Beck said, so I wouldn't defend or accuse him about this until I heard all sides of it. 

I cut out the mind reading and broad brush part....

SiriusXM obviously knows what they think about the context.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:45:56 pm by don-o »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Cut out the mind reading and broad brush part....

SiriusXM obviously knows what they think about the context.

Yeah, it's not like anyone ever gets pressured into doing something by the perpetually-offended-politically-correct enforcement squad.