Author Topic: Stephen Hawking bemused by Donald Trump's success  (Read 416 times)

Offline markomalley

Stephen Hawking bemused by Donald Trump's success
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:57:13 am »
From CNET:

Scientists don't always understand human beings.

The former trust rationality, the latter get tied up in feelings.

The former live their lives surrounded by theories, the latter believe they keep it real.

Perhaps, then, it's unsurprising that Stephen Hawking seems confounded by the success of Donald Trump.

The Associated Press reported that the famed physicist told the UK's ITV channel that Trump is "a demagogue who seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator."

Subsequently, the AP removed its story, saying that the comments were embargoed for publishing at a later date. By that time, however, the words had flown. ITV didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The presumptive Republican nominee tends not to appeal to everyone with intellectual pretensions. This seems odd, given that he's all too ready to expound on matters that touch science.

(remainder snipped)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Stephen Hawking bemused by Donald Trump's success
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:50:17 am »
This was actually posted on TOS today with all the little trumpers insulting and berating Stephen Hawking.

They are truly delusional.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline markomalley

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:08:33 am »
This was actually posted on TOS today with all the little trumpers insulting and berating Stephen Hawking.

They are truly delusional.

Indeed they are.

It is bad enough that they'd worship an image of Trump on a piece of toast as undeniable proof that he is the second coming.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:18:53 am »
I'm no Trump fan, truly*, but believe a British physicist's "expert" opinions about the American presidential campaign are worth about as much as my analysis of what's been happening lately in the House of Commons.

*But not "neverTrump," as accused by some here.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:30:01 am »
I'm no Trump fan, truly*, but believe a British physicist's "expert" opinions about the American presidential campaign are worth about as much as my analysis of what's been happening lately in the House of Commons.

*But not "neverTrump," as accused by some here.

Indeed.  Might as well ask what he thinks of local building code enforcement in Demoines Iowa.