Author Topic: In a Secret Meeting, Revelations on the Battle Over Health Care  (Read 446 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
In a Secret Meeting, Revelations on the Battle Over Health Care

By CARL HULSE MAY 30, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/us/politics/in-a-secret-meeting-revelations-on-the-battle-over-health-care.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — On Jan. 13, 2014, a team of Internal Revenue Service financial managers piled into government vans and headed to the Old Executive Office Building for what would turn out to be a very unusual meeting.

Upon arrival, the I.R.S. officials, some of whom had expressed doubts that the Obama administration had the proper authority to spend billions of dollars on a crucial element of its health care law, were ushered into a conference room.

There, they were presented with an Office of Management and Budget memo laying out the administration’s justification for spending $3.9 billion on consumer health insurance subsidies. They were told they could read it but could not take notes or make copies. The O.M.B. officials left the room to allow their visitors a moment to absorb the document, and then returned to answer a few questions and note that Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. had been briefed and signed off on the legal rationale.

“It was not a common practice in my 10 years in government at the three agencies where I worked,” said David Fisher, a former I.R.S. financial risk officer, recounting the odd meeting during a deposition on May 11 conducted by investigators for the House Ways and Means Committee.

The clandestine nature of the session underscores the intense conflict over the spending, which is the subject of a federal lawsuit in which House Republicans have so far prevailed, as well as a continuing investigation by the Ways and Means and the Energy and Commerce Committees. It also shows that more than six years after President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law, Republican opposition has not waned.

After failing to win congressional approval for the funds, the Obama administration spent the money anyway and has now distributed about $7 billion to insurance companies to offset out-of-pocket costs for eligible consumers. The administration asserts that the health care legislation provided permanent, continuing authority to do so, and that no further appropriation was necessary.

Mr. Fisher, for one, did not agree, and his testimony is the first to reveal that some within the administration challenged the spending.

Impeach the Lame Duck. Two weeks of hearings hitting highlights of Fast and Furious, Benghazi, IRS and State Dept pay to play. 15th day, send it to the floor.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: In a Secret Meeting, Revelations on the Battle Over Health Care
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:26:27 am »
How about a cease and desist order and a suit to recover the misappropriated subsidies from every last person who received them?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: In a Secret Meeting, Revelations on the Battle Over Health Care
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:18:29 am »
I'm sure the VA would like to have the money back that this Administration robbed from their budget to pay for Obamacare.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!