Author Topic: 6 Must-See Movies for Memorial Day  (Read 613 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
6 Must-See Movies for Memorial Day
« on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:15 pm »
https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2016/05/27/6-must-see-movies-for-memorial-day/?print=true&singlepage=true

By James Jay Carafano

What kind of war movies best capture the day set aside in remembrance of the honored dead?

Memorial Day remembers those who have died while serving in the armed forces of the United States—in war or peace. As long as our nation produces these men and women willing to “bear any burden, pay any price,” our nation earns the liberty it enjoys. That is the eternal meaning of this day. When we walk out of a theater profoundly moved by the sacrifice of our soldiers on the screen—those are movies that evoke the sentiment of the day the most.

I have done lists before of the top war films that make you cry, but this is a “Memorial Day” list, so let’s single out those history-based military movies that exclusively highlight the loss of Americans in harm’s way.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Leto

Re: 6 Must-See Movies for Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:41:39 pm »
The recent film "Undefeated" was excellent depicting the real life experience of an American Olympic Athlete
captured by the Japanese during WW2. 

Perhaps Obama should have watched that film prior to visiting Japan.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »
You have to include Kelly's Heroes just for the humor factor.

My 93 year old uncle who served in Battle of the Bulge tells the brutal times but say's what he thinks back most fondly is the comical things that happened.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »
https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2016/05/27/6-must-see-movies-for-memorial-day/?print=true&singlepage=true

By James Jay Carafano

What kind of war movies best capture the day set aside in remembrance of the honored dead?

Memorial Day remembers those who have died while serving in the armed forces of the United States—in war or peace. As long as our nation produces these men and women willing to “bear any burden, pay any price,” our nation earns the liberty it enjoys. That is the eternal meaning of this day. When we walk out of a theater profoundly moved by the sacrifice of our soldiers on the screen—those are movies that evoke the sentiment of the day the most.

I have done lists before of the top war films that make you cry, but this is a “Memorial Day” list, so let’s single out those history-based military movies that exclusively highlight the loss of Americans in harm’s way.

continued

I'd put "Glory" on any list.  My favorite movie about the Civil War, and even if you ignore the race aspect -- it's a  true story about the first colored unit to see combat in the Civil War -  it is still a fantastic story about what it really means to be a soldier.  Love that movie, fantastic score, and can't help crying at the end.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:23:48 pm »
I'd put "Glory" on any list.  My favorite movie about the Civil War, and even if you ignore the race aspect -- it's a  true story about the first colored unit to see combat in the Civil War -  it is still a fantastic story about what it really means to be a soldier.  Love that movie, fantastic score, and can't help crying at the end.

Just watched it again over the weekend on TCM...great movie
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »

Completely agree about "Glory."  Amazing movie about heroism.

I'm a fan of "Band of Brothers"......... though it would be tough to watch the entire series in one day!

Any opinions from any vets here??
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:38:07 pm »
"Mr. Rogers" with Henry Fonda and James Cagney is one I'm particularly fond of...

Band of Brothers (WWII) is another...

The Lost Battalion (WWI)...

Although not American, The Lighthorsemen is an outstanding Australian film that depicts an audacious "calvary" charge to capture Beersheba during WWI.  Australian Light Horse were actually mounted infantry, not calvary. 

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:05 pm »
I'm a fan of "Band of Brothers"......... though it would be tough to watch the entire series in one day!

Any opinions from any vets here??

I liked BoB a lot -- better than Saving Private Ryan.  Didn't like the end of SPR at all.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:48:53 pm »
I liked BoB a lot -- better than Saving Private Ryan.  Didn't like the end of SPR at all.

I thought BoB showed a good balance of the camaraderie of the troops, the heroism and the horror of war.

Obviously, as a senior citizen woman, I've not been in combat myself (though my son has), but from what I've heard from those who have, and what I've read, it's very realistic.

I love it.  I love the depiction of Winters. 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.