Author Topic: In Cleveland, Trump may need Cruz more than Cruz needs him  (Read 786 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
In Cleveland, Trump may need Cruz more than Cruz needs him

By Jonathan Tilove - American-Statesman Staff

When Donald Trump collected a few unbound delegates last week, surpassing the 1,237 needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, expectations that the national convention could be the most dramatic in modern times evaporated.

“Now, it will be the most entertaining,” said Randy Evans, a party-wise man from Georgia, with a nod to the reality TV star’s promise to “put some show biz” into the July convention in Cleveland.

But there remains an important, unscripted drama yet to unfold in the tempestuous relationship between Trump and his chief rival, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas.

Although Trump will arrive in Cleveland as the victor and Cruz the vanquished, the politics of the moment suggest that Trump needs Cruz — to reassure nervous conservatives — more than Cruz needs Trump, whose defeat in November would fulfill Cruz’s frequent prediction and best serve the 45-year-old Texan’s future presidential ambitions.

“If he does not endorse and Trump loses, Cruz gets to step out on Nov. 9 and say, ‘See what I said,’ ” said Evans, a member of the Republican National Committee’s Rules Committee who, as chairman of the Republican National Lawyers Association, stayed neutral in the race.

“Cruz is a brilliant strategist, a long-term player. He’s got cards to play, and I fully expect him to play a few of those cards,” Evans said. “I think Cruz’s theme will be to say, `You’re the nominee, but I’m the party. You’re the name on the ballot, but I’m the one who represents, who epitomizes what it means to be a Republican.’”

Cruz ended his campaign May 3 after a bitter defeat in Indiana, dropping out shortly after lashing out at the man who had spent months calling him “Lyin’ Ted.”

Posted: 12:00 a.m. Sunday, May 29, 2016
Highlights

The tempestuous relationship between Donald Trump and Ted Cruz will play out at the Republican convention.

A loss by Trump could advance Cruz’s ambitions.

Cruz backers are divided between those who want nothing to do with Trump and those who’d like a reconciliation.

When Donald Trump collected a few unbound delegates last week, surpassing the 1,237 needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, expectations that the national convention could be the most dramatic in modern times evaporated.

“Now, it will be the most entertaining,” said Randy Evans, a party-wise man from Georgia, with a nod to the reality TV star’s promise to “put some show biz” into the July convention in Cleveland.

But there remains an important, unscripted drama yet to unfold in the tempestuous relationship between Trump and his chief rival, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas.

Although Trump will arrive in Cleveland as the victor and Cruz the vanquished, the politics of the moment suggest that Trump needs Cruz — to reassure nervous conservatives — more than Cruz needs Trump, whose defeat in November would fulfill Cruz’s frequent prediction and best serve the 45-year-old Texan’s future presidential ambitions.

“If he does not endorse and Trump loses, Cruz gets to step out on Nov. 9 and say, ‘See what I said,’ ” said Evans, a member of the Republican National Committee’s Rules Committee who, as chairman of the Republican National Lawyers Association, stayed neutral in the race.
+In Cleveland, Trump may need Cruz more than Cruz needs him photo
Drew Angerer
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, speaks to the media as he returns to his office at the U.S. Capitol on May ... read more

“Cruz is a brilliant strategist, a long-term player. He’s got cards to play, and I fully expect him to play a few of those cards,” Evans said. “I think Cruz’s theme will be to say, `You’re the nominee, but I’m the party. You’re the name on the ballot, but I’m the one who represents, who epitomizes what it means to be a Republican.’”

Cruz ended his campaign May 3 after a bitter defeat in Indiana, dropping out shortly after lashing out at the man who had spent months calling him “Lyin’ Ted.”

“This man is a pathological liar,” Cruz said of Trump. “He doesn’t know the difference between truth and lies. He lies practically every word that comes out of his mouth.”

Cruz also called Trump “utterly amoral,” adding that “morality does not exist for him.”

“I don’t see how you can take those words back, particularly if part of your appeal is that you’re not a traditional politician, that ‘I tell it like it is,’ ” University of Houston political scientist Richard Murray said. “I can’t see how that would work.”

For many admirers of Cruz, the very thought of endorsing Trump remains repugnant.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/national-govt-politics/in-cleveland-trump-may-need-cruz-more-than-cruz-ne/nrWng/

Offline RoosGirl

Re: In Cleveland, Trump may need Cruz more than Cruz needs him
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:26:21 pm »
I can't wait to see what the rules committee does.  I really don't think there's going to be any drama, just interested to see how it plays out.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »
“This man is a pathological liar,” Cruz said of Trump. “He doesn’t know the difference between truth and lies. He lies practically every word that comes out of his mouth.”

Cruz also called Trump “utterly amoral,” adding that “morality does not exist for him.”

Cruz should not endorse Trump. Stay far away from the poisonous ignorant NY liberal.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 03:37:58 pm »
I can't wait to see what the rules committee does.  I really don't think there's going to be any drama, just interested to see how it plays out.

Well I don't think it is going to be easy street like Trump thinks.  With the threats and all Delegates still may not vote for him.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:38:35 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 03:42:56 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 05:19:15 pm »
I hope Ted, Heidi, and the girls take a well deserved cruise or international vacation the week of the convention.  FUDT.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:20:00 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Leto

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:07:30 pm »
I could end up having to hold my nose and vote for Trump.

That said I hope as a Cruz supporter there is no endorsement from Cruz.  ed shold try to use his delegates to
influence the platform and then go home and sit this election out. Campaign for Constitutional conservatives
for House and Senate.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:58:09 pm »
I could end up having to hold my nose and vote for Trump.

No one has to vote for stumpy.  Stay strong.  Keep the faith.
Former Republican.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 12:32:40 am »
No one has to vote for stumpy.  Stay strong.  Keep the faith.

Agreed.  I cannot think of any reason to vote for Trump and numerous reasons not to vote for him.

Trump is planning a convention extravaganza as never seen before.  It will be all about Trump 'glorifying' his narcissistic self...trust me!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 12:58:16 am »
I hope Ted, Heidi, and the girls take a well deserved cruise or international vacation the week of the convention. 

Me, too.  That would be lovely. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 01:02:02 am »

Really? 

Should we also revisit this?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:11:19 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 03:45:44 am »

Cruz should not endorse Trump. Stay far away from the poisonous ignorant NY liberal.

Totally agree.  There is no benefit for Cruz in endorsing Trump.  Most Cruz supporters would be disappointed if he did.  And I don't believe his conscience would allow him to endorse the evil, vicious, self-centered Howdy Doody.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:24 am »
Well I don't think it is going to be easy street like Trump thinks.  With the threats and all Delegates still may not vote for him.

I may be clinging to a false hope, but I really wish there was a way to keep the nomination away from Trump.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.