Author Topic: 4-Year-Old Who Fell Into Cincinnati Zoo's Gorilla Enclosure Expected to Recover (ABC Video)  (Read 3518 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Glad the little boy is should be okay, it was likely the correct thing to shoot the gorilla but too bad it had to pay for this incident with his life. I'm sure people have heard about this.

4-Year-Old Who Fell Into Cincinnati Zoo's Gorilla Enclosure Expected to Recover

A 4-year-old boy escaped with serious -- albeit non-life-threatening -- injuries Saturday after he crawled through a barrier at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden and into a gorilla enclosure, where he was picked up by a 400-pound, 17-year-old male gorilla, the zoo said.

After the boy -- who has not been identified -- crawled through a public barrier at Gorilla World around 4 p.m., he fell about 10 to 12 feet into a moat, where he was picked up and carried around by the gorilla, named Harambe, for about 10 minutes, the zoo's director, Thane Maynard, said.

A Cincinnati Zoo employee shot the gorilla when the child was in between his legs, and zoo employees then unlocked the gate and two firefighters quickly retrieved the child.

Once the child was in a safe area, he was given a full trauma assessment, and then transported to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, District Fire Chief Marc Monahan said.

The hospital is not releasing details on his condition, but police said the boy's injuries were non-life-threatening, according to ABC affiliate WCPO.

See More At: http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-picked-gorilla-cincinnati-zoo-escapes-injury/story?id=39454916
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:06:34 pm by TomSea »

Offline sinkspur

Some adults should not be parents.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline TomSea

Some adults should not be parents.

That leads into this story:

Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage

The killing of a gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo after a 4-year-old boy tumbled into the ape's enclosure triggered outrage and questions about safety, but zoo officials called the decision to use lethal force a tough but necessary choice.

More than 2,000 people signed a petition on Change.org that sharply criticized the Cincinnati Police Department and the zoo for putting down the animal and called for the child's parents to be "held accountable for their actions of not supervising their child."

Cincinnati police on Sunday said the parents had not been charged, but that charges could eventually be sought by the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney. A spokeswoman for the prosecutor did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A Facebook page titled "Justice for Harambe" had more than 3,000 likes by Sunday afternoon, a day after the 400-pound (181-kg) gorilla was shot dead about 10 minutes after encountering and dragging the child. The animal, named Harambe, was a Western lowland gorilla, an endangered species, and the zoo said it had intended to use him for breeding.

Read More At: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ohio-gorilla-idUKKCN0YK0P2?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Offline sinkspur

Shooting the gorilla was a politically-correct thing to do.  Poor guy gets shot dead because some urchin is not under the control of his parents.

Stories like this is what makes me love animals more than some people.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Parent should be charged for the poor gorilla's death IMO. They are amazing animals.

Offline TomSea

Zoo Witness: Gorilla Was 'Protecting' 4-Year-Old, 'Wasn't Hurting Him'

http://abcnews.go.com/US/zoo-witness-gorilla-protecting-year-wasnt-hurting/story?id=39467509

A witness present at the Cincinnati Zoo says the 450-pound gorilla that was shot and killed after a 4-year-old boy fell into his enclosure was not "hurting" the boy, but instead seemed to be "protecting him."

"The little boy, once he fell, I don't think the gorilla even knew that he was in there until he heard him splashing in the water," Brittany Nicely told ABC News on Sunday, explaining that zoogoers' screams drew more attention to the Saturday afternoon incident.

"The gorilla rushed the boy, but did not hit the boy," Nicely said. "He almost was guarding the boy, was protecting him."

See More At Link Above.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Gorillas have a bit of a history of protecting kids who fall into their enclosures, so the eyewitness could be correct.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3406830/I-m-forever-thankful-Jambo-gone-one-two-ways-Man-protected-huge-gorilla-fell-enclosure-boy-relives-dramatic-moment-30-years-says-t-wait-kids-there.html

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/16/15-years-ago-today-gorilla-rescues-boy-who-fell-in-ape-pit/

But ... only the keepers would know just HOW protective Harambe would be. Horrible call to have to make, and the parents - well.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't know if the parents were properly supervising the child or not, but I do know from experience that little boys can be incredibly fast and sneaky.  I finally had to get a leash for one of mine and endure the occasional glares from those who knew better than I what was appropriate for my child. 

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
I read a report earlier that claimed the parents had inquired about how their kid could "play" with a gorilla.  About the time you start wondering just how fracking stupid a person can be, a tragedy like this one comes along to prove again that there is no limit to human stupidity.

The bottom line here is that these parents allowed their child to somehow get into that gorilla enclosure, that was designed to not allow such a thing to happen casually.  The end result is that the animal tenders were put into an untenable situation where they had no other choice but to shoot a magnificent animal in order to save a child from himself.

I hope there is some way to hold the parents liable.

Offline raml

I raised 3 boys and a girl. At the zoo I had them with me all the time no child of mine under 5 would not be by my side the parents need to be charged with endangering their child which caused a great animal to be put down. There had better be charges these people are plain stupid and shouldn't be allowed in zoo's or parks with a child. When out in public parents must control their small children that is a fact and no they need not ever sneak away mine never did and my boys were quite inventive but never when out in public I wouldn't let them out of my sight they kept that all for their home area where they were allowed a bit of freedom.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
It is important to note that the moat surrounding this particular gorilla habitat is well away from the viewing area.  The kid had to climb through a barrier of some sort and transit through some distance to even get to the top edge of the moat.  The kid did not just fall over a railing into that moat.  That means there was time for a parent to intervene had they chosen to do so.

Bet me a burger Mom has video on her smart phone of Junior taking the dive.

:smokin:

Offline TomSea

Information is coming to light that it sounds like the boy got through a narrow opening in the railings or something, a vigil is going to be held for the gorilla.

More: http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/woman-tried-to-stop-boy-from-falling-into-gorilla-enclosure

Woman tried to stop boy from falling into gorilla enclosure

“I was just trying to stop him from jumping,” Nicely said. “It was very clear that he wanted to get into the water.”

The boy then fell into the shallow water in the moat between the gorilla habitat and the visitors’ area. Zoo staffers were able to call two other gorillas back inside, but Harambe went down to the moat with the boy.
"I’m not the parent, but I did see it, and I tried,” she said. “And he was on a mission.”

geronl

Almost sounds like they are blaming the 4-year old, lol.

People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity, especially this year

Offline mirraflake

Multiple witnesses said the parents were not watching the kid as they should have been doing.

Offline TomSea

I wouldn't blame that much on a toddler, but the parents certainly may bear some responsibility.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
When our eldest kid stopped being a gurgling lump of bad smells and started moving around on her own, I was totally convinced the missus had put one over on me. The father must have been the Flash, not me.

That's as far as I go in defending the parents, though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:43:52 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline livius

I know everybody here is the perfect parent and has had their toddler chained to them at all times and it's the fault of the parents, etc., etc., and the gorilla should have been allowed to kill the child...As usual, it's the victim's fault.

No, sometimes a child just gets away.  I have, of course, seen things like Mr. "Hey hold my beer and watch this" holding his kid over the alligators alongside the highway through Gainesville, FL, but a lot of times, a child just slips away for a moment. I had a friend whose best friend as a child told her not to stare at her mother when my friend met her...because the mother had permanent hysterical paralysis on one side of her face after seeing her toddler dragged into the lion cage and eaten on, oddly enough, a visit to the St Louis Zoo.

A gorilla does not respond to a dart or a taser immediately. Simians and all wild animals are very strong and resistant, much more so than humans. Remember the poor woman who had her face ripped off by her friend's chimp - which was strong enough to tear open the door of her car - and the police could not stop it until one of them shot it. Even the owner was calling for them to kill it. An adult simian cannot be "tranquilized."  The child would have been dead long before the tranquilizers took effect.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
And now Drudge is promoting the hysteria:

Offline TomSea

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
And now Drudge is promoting the hysteria:

Amazing how everyone today is suddenly an expert on animal behavioral psychology. Wow, education has come a long way that expertise in a field is suddenly beamed in from parts unknown.

I can guarantee if that was any of these armchair experts' child, they would have been screaming to shoot the damn ape, not sit around and analyze if it would do harm or if it was being motherly.

RAT Patrol

Amazing how everyone today is suddenly an expert on animal behavioral psychology. Wow, education has come a long way that expertise in a field is suddenly beamed in from parts unknown.

I can guarantee if that was any of these armchair experts' child, they would have been screaming to shoot the damn ape, not sit around and analyze if it would do harm or if it was being motherly.

It is not even a close call.  They did the right thing.  What's shocking is that so many seem to wish it were the other way around.

Offline flowers

This is unreal.

geronl

No, sometimes a child just gets away.

Sure. But I am waiting until some animal leftist wacko says the kid should be charged for the "murder" of the ape

Offline sinkspur

Were I the Zoo director, the parents would be on a "you can never visit this place again" list.   If they can't supervise their offspring, they have no business at a zoo.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Just a reminder what a small little Chimpanzee did to its owner/mother. This was a chimp, raised since a baby, like a human baby. Yet it turned to its animal nature on a moment's notice.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/17/chimpanzee.attack/index.html

Why would anyone think a gorilla would be any more a safer bet?