Author Topic: Rubio apologized to Trump for 'small hands' crack  (Read 571 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio apologized to Trump for 'small hands' crack
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:18:25 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/281636-rubio-apologized-to-trump-for-small-hands-comment

May 29, 2016, 10:20 am

By Jessie Hellmann

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said in an interview aired Sunday that he apologized to former primary rival and presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump for saying at a rally that the businessman had “small hands.”

“I apologized to him for that. I said, 'You know, I’m sorry that I said that. It’s not who I am, and I shouldn’t have done it,' ” Rubio told CNN's "State of the Union."

“I didn’t say it in front of the cameras. I didn’t want any political benefit. I’m not a candidate now, so I can say that to you.”

Rubio, at a rally in February before he ended his presidential bid, pointed out Trump’s “small hands.”

“You know what they say about men with small hands … you can’t trust ‘em,” Rubio said.

Rubio said the comment embarrassed his family.

“I didn’t like what it reflected on me,” Rubio said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Rubio apologized to Trump for 'small hands' crack
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:24:40 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/281636-rubio-apologized-to-trump-for-small-hands-comment

May 29, 2016, 10:20 am

By Jessie Hellmann

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said in an interview aired Sunday that he apologized to former primary rival and presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump for saying at a rally that the businessman had “small hands.”

“I apologized to him for that. I said, 'You know, I’m sorry that I said that. It’s not who I am, and I shouldn’t have done it,' ” Rubio told CNN's "State of the Union."

“I didn’t say it in front of the cameras. I didn’t want any political benefit. I’m not a candidate now, so I can say that to you.”

Rubio, at a rally in February before he ended his presidential bid, pointed out Trump’s “small hands.”

“You know what they say about men with small hands … you can’t trust ‘em,” Rubio said.

Rubio said the comment embarrassed his family.

“I didn’t like what it reflected on me,” Rubio said.

I respect this.  He was frustrated at the insults, and responded in a way that he shouldn't have, and that wasn't in character.  And I get the sense that how he behaved for those few days really bothered him, and that he really was embarrassed at his conduct because he's a decent guy.  Apologising for this gets it off his chest, and was the right thing to do.

This will probably be spun by some as Rubio kissing Trump's rear, but I don't think that's what's going on.  I think we should take this at exactly face value, coming from a pretty religious guy who regrets his actions.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:25:14 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:32:01 pm »
I respect this.  He was frustrated at the insults, and responded in a way that he shouldn't have, and that wasn't in character.  And I get the sense that how he behaved for those few days really bothered him, and that he really was embarrassed at his conduct because he's a decent guy.  Apologising for this gets it off his chest, and was the right thing to do.

This will probably be spun by some as Rubio kissing Trump's rear, but I don't think that's what's going on.  I think we should take this at exactly face value, coming from a pretty religious guy who regrets his actions.

It's embarrassing.  Rubio should not grovel, and that's exactly what he's doing.  Rubio gave as good as he got from Trump and should not apologize for anything.   But, falling in line behind the Donald seems to be what all the candidates are doing, with the exception of Cruz and Jeb and I expect Cruz to cave too.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:35:41 pm »
It's embarrassing.  Rubio should not grovel, and that's exactly what he's doing.  Rubio gave as good as he got from Trump and should not apologize for anything.   But, falling in line behind the Donald seems to be what all the candidates are doing, with the exception of Cruz and Jeb and I expect Cruz to cave too.

Do you think Rubio making the "small hands" comments about Trump was the right thing to do?  I supported the guy, but was incredibly disappointed in him when he did that.  Or do you think it was the wrong thing to do, but that he shouldn't have apologized?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »
Do you think Rubio making the "small hands" comments about Trump was the right thing to do?  I supported the guy, but was incredibly disappointed in him when he did that.  Or do you think it was the wrong thing to do, but that he shouldn't have apologized?

Maybe you're right.  It's not nice to mock the handicapped and Trump can't help the size of his hands.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:48:34 pm »
Maybe you're right.  It's not nice to mock the handicapped and Trump can't help the size of his hands.

Heh.  I just think making a dick joke -- because that's really what it was -- was something appropriate for a Presidential candidate.  Rubio's got younger kids, and I didn't think he wanted to leave that sitting out there.

Honestly think he's felt guilty about that for awhile.  However, if he were ever to accept a VP nod from Trump -- that'd be it for me.  No way.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:49:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:04:01 pm »
I think he made some mistakes as all humans do.  What he does about them will show character or the lack thereof.  I wish him a happy and successful life.

That's well said.  I think Rubio needed some maturation/seasoning, and maybe he got that this last primary season.  Everything had always come so easy to him before this, and some real adversity might do a bit to wipe off that smirk that seemingly was on the fringes of a lot of his statements.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:05:05 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 05:22:38 pm »

I agree.  It is sickening.  I don't expect Cruz to cave though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:23:19 pm by Eowyn »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 05:35:22 pm »
 I guess this is the right move, under ordinary circumstances.

But I remember how Trump tried to spin Cruz's not attacking him as a sign of cowardice. So I'm sure he and all of his rally goers will have a good laugh over Lil' Marco's genuflection.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 06:03:18 pm »
I guess this is the right move, under ordinary circumstances.

But I remember how Trump tried to spin Cruz's not attacking him as a sign of cowardice. So I'm sure he and all of his rally goers will have a good laugh over Lil' Marco's genuflection.

Sure they will.  But if we start letting those kind of people determine what is right and wrong for the rest of us, we've already lost.  Rubio shouldn't have said what he said.  I know an awful lot of people who were disappointed in him for sinking to Trump's level on that.  There was plenty of stuff to bash Trump over without sinking to the level of dick jokes.  So he either does what is objectively right and apologizes for it -- regardless of how that is interpreted by Trump and his supporters -- or he leaves behind a campaign run tainted by that action.  I'd much rather see him admit that mistake and move on like someone with a modicum of self-respect rather than let himself by permanently stained by Trump's garbage.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 06:04:35 pm »

Yes, it is embarrassing and there was no need for it. Trump constantly referred to him as 'Little Rubio.'  If Rubio wanted to endorse Trump for the sake of defeating Hillary and for the party, that's his choice.  But apologizing to him?  Another blunder by Rubio.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.