Author Topic: 'The last lion': Mitt Romney claims high ground in stand against Donald Trump  (Read 767 times)

Offline markomalley

This little bit of hilarity from The Guardian:

The Republican party battlefield is strewn with Donald Trump’s former competitors and critics, many of whom have risen only to rally to his side.

But Mitt Romney, the party’s last nominee for president, has refused to capitulate, speaking forcibly against the billionaire even as he marched to the Republican nomination.

On Saturday, in a possible allusion to Winston Churchill – or at least to William Manchester’s three-volume biography of the wartime British prime minister, an influential work among US conservatives – the Wall Street Journal quoted an anonymous Romney confidant as saying: “He feels like the last lion.”

In an extensive interview with the Journal, conducted at his San Diego home, Romney said he never had any intention of mounting a white knight candidacy against Trump, as has been reported.

(remainder snipped)

I find it amusing that one of the loudest voice of dissent comes from another snake-oil salesman who, in many ways, makes Trump's positions seem conservative.

[NB: this is not an indorsement of the Orange One, it is just an observation of the irony of the situation]

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Romney is a loser. Decent guy, but a loser. He represents the old GOP that will proudly march into oblivion but uphold... what I don't know. Their brand of "conservatism". Neoconservatism I guess. The public has already rejected Romney.

Offline R4 TrumPence

Romney is a loser. Decent guy, but a loser. He represents the old GOP that will proudly march into oblivion but uphold... what I don't know. Their brand of "conservatism". Neoconservatism I guess. The public has already rejected Romney.
Last election, I had decided too that Romney was a decent man.
Then he shows up trying to poop all over our primary. It doesn't matter who he was pooping on, it lowered him to a level below pond scum, and now I had rather never hear from him again!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:49:30 am by Repub4Trump »

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Then he shows up trying to poop all over our primary. It doesn't matter who he was pooping on, it lowered him to a level below pond scum, and now I had rather never hear from him again!

Romney vs. pooping all over the primary vs. Trump popping all over Americans and America.  I would happily and proudly now choose Romney over the Orange ape!

#NeverTrump
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

“I do know that when my grandkids say, ‘What did you do to stop Donald Trump?’ I wanted to be able to say something,”

“I didn’t expect him to do so well. But he has tapped into an anger which is very much understood,” Romney said. “What he’s done with that anger, however, is not to build it into resolve and high purpose but to take it down a very dark alley.”

“Imagine your children and your grandchildren acting the way he does,” Romney said. “Would you welcome that?”

I wish I was voting to re-elect Romney in November, instead of dreading the future.

Offline sinkspur

"Your" primary?  Romney's a Republican too and has just as much right as you Trumpkins to voice his opinion. 

No, Trump is the pond scum, dog whistling to the racists, anti-semites and bigots who are out in full force for him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That's great and all, but Mitt and McCain paved the way for Trump by running campaigns based on "we're not as bad as democrats".  That vacuum is exactly what Trump has exploited.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.

Trump pooped all over our primary far more than Romney.

Oceander

Your primary?  Give me a break.  So basically, Romney should have just shut the f^^k up because he didn't support Trump.  Why don't you say what you really want to say, which is to tell everyone who doesn't worship Trump to STFU; to toe the Trump line, or shut up.  That Trump is the Second Coming of Christ and those of us who refuse to accept and convert deserve to be punished.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump pooped all over our primary far more than Romney.

Only in your eyes, @Eowyn

Oceander

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I'm struggling to think of any way in which Trump is more conservative than Romney.

That's great and all, but Mitt and McCain paved the way for Trump by running campaigns based on "we're not as bad as democrats".  That vacuum is exactly what Trump has exploited.

We must have been watching a different campaign.

The biggest criticism of Romney was that he supporter RomneyCare in Massachusetts.  But in terms of his 2012 platform, he was solid.   He advocated strong measures to curb illegal immigration (which Trump called "heartless" at the time, tax cuts, repeal of ObamaCare, etc..  The thing that probably hurt him the most was his 47% comment, which if anything was too conservative and hardline.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:55:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Only in your eyes, @Right_in_Virginia

Nope.  Trump's victory simply does not support your thesis, @Oceander

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

We must have been watching a different campaign.

The biggest criticism of Romney was that he supporter RomneyCare in Massachusetts.  But in terms of his 2012 platform, he was solid.   He advocated strong measures to curb illegal immigration (which Trump called "heartless" at the time, tax cuts, repeal of ObamaCare, etc..  The thing that probably hurt him the most was his 47% comment, which if anything was too conservative and hardline.

Agreed, we must have been.