Author Topic: Republican chairman resigns over Trump  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Republican chairman resigns over Trump
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 10:12:27 pm »
The chairman of the Palm Beach County Republican Party’s black caucus resigned last week, saying he can’t hold the official party post because he can’t support Donald Trump for president.

Thanx Herr Drumpf.  The GOP gets a little whiter every day.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 10:25:48 pm »
Trump is not trying  to overturn the establishment.  That was Ted Cruz.

You got that right.  Even during the delegate selection processes in each state, Trump yielded to the establishment to seat his delegates while Cruz fought for Conservatives to be seated in Cleveland to vote on rules for the next four years.

And then of all people, Trump hires Paul Manafort - the epitome of everything the establishment stands for - the same Paul Manafort used by the establishment to defeat Ronald Reagan in 1976.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 10:44:10 pm »
You got that right.  Even during the delegate selection processes in each state, Trump yielded to the establishment to seat his delegates while Cruz fought for Conservatives to be seated in Cleveland to vote on rules for the next four years.

And then of all people, Trump hires Paul Manafort - the epitome of everything the establishment stands for - the same Paul Manafort used by the establishment to defeat Ronald Reagan in 1976.

Really, then why did the "establishment" spend 50 million dollars to stop Trump rather than Cruz. And it doesn't get any more establishment than Romney-Bush, and both were pimping the Cruz ticket at the end. Wake up. It IS true that whoever won, having defeated the establishment, would need to bring them on board for their organizing and fundraising capabilities...that's as true of Cruz and anyone else as it is of Trump. The difference being the Trump actually knocked them on their keester before bringing in Manafort to put 'em back together and use them for organization.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Hoodat

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »
I see that logic is not your strong suit.

I will take the guy who called Mitch McConnell a liar on the Senate floor any day over the guy who funded McConnell in fighting off a TEA Party challenger.

I will take the guy who shows up at state convention after state convention after state convention fighting to block the establishment from filling delegate spots with their own, instead of the guy who characterized this act of wresting control of the party away from the establishment as "stealing".

And I will take the guy who John Boehner compares to lucifer any day over the guy who Boehner backs.

Cruz establishment?  That is the biggest lie of this entire campaign.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:33 am »
Cruz establishment?  That is the biggest lie of this entire campaign.
I see that logic is your strong suit.  Good post. :patriot:

Silver Pines

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 12:07:31 am »
You won't be the last one standing, I and many others will be there with you. :patriot:

Preach!  888sunglass

@Chosen Daughter

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:14 am »
Stuffed animals?  That's a bizarre remark.  I can only wonder where your inspiration came from.

Probably my Fallout Vault 77 comment from the FR thread last night. A couple of us were discussing which Vault experiment the Trump fanatics on Fr resembled most. I said Vault 77, which in the game was a vault occupied by one crazy man and a crate full of puppets.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:09:19 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 02:15:42 am »
Chosen Daughter wrote (in BIG letters):
"Trump is the establishment."

Well, if that's the case, what's the difference between supporting him and supporting any of the other "establishment" candidates?

Offline Kinsman Redeemer

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 02:30:04 am »
The real enemy seeks to devour what is good.

Offline HootOwl

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 02:49:44 am »
You can't write a single post without insulting and diminishing someone else, because, well, hey, you're Trump.
It's what you are.  It's part of your character.

"Right-leaning?"  Versus, Christian, patriotic, and conservative?  Like George Washington, maybe?    I'll wear that badge with honor.   Wouldn't you be a lot more comfortable berating innocent folks on FreeRepublic?

Little gutless bullies like you are what I've fought every day of my life.  Keep it up.  You're losing more votes for Trump every time you move your lips or move your fingers.  You and your Trumpkin buddies are the best thing to happen to Hillary Clinton since Whitewater and her little 19 year old Huma doll.

Thinking the same thing.  Acouple days ago I was ready to vote for Trump and support him--until he had to go back into his "lyin' Ted" crap  saying he would stop saying it, and the proceeded to do just that(Alensky?)    If he loses he better not blame the Cruz supporters--He said he didn't need their help.  If he is as much a vote-getter as he contends to be,  he should be able to work around any roadblocks in his way--right Donny?  no excuses  just win.

#NeverTrump, because
#ForeverChristian and
#OathKeeper

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 05:31:19 am »

Well, if that's the case, what's the difference between supporting him and supporting any of the other "establishment" candidates?

Absolutely no difference.

Which is why my November vote will be "none of the above."

Some say you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs. (Once upon a time, that's what Walter Duranty of the New York
Times
said defending Stalin's crimes.) I say we're not looking to make omelettes, we're looking to fight the fire burning down
the house and you can't fight a fire when your only choice to fight it is between a pair of arsonists.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:28:05 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 05:36:20 am »
There's no way to overturn the establishment without breaking a few eggs and offending a few individuals.

It's come to borrowing from Stalin's man on the New York Times now?

The guy who resigned did the right thing, if you can't support the nominee head for Hillary country because that is your new destination.

It's entirely possible to reject one party's nominee without running full speed or even
crawling like a millipede to the other party's. Rejecting Donaldus Minimus does not equal embracing
Hilarious Rodent Clinton.

And many of us in states where "none of the above" is the option will vote just like that.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 05:44:02 am »

There isn't one.  I don't support Trump.  I don't support the Establishment.  I would not vote for Trump if he paid me.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 01:07:04 pm »
It's come to borrowing from Stalin's man on the New York Times now?

It's entirely possible to reject one party's nominee without running full speed or even
crawling like a millipede to the other party's. Rejecting Donaldus Minimus does not equal embracing
Hilarious Rodent Clinton.

And many of us in states where "none of the above" is the option will vote just like that.

goopo

I wish more people knew that history!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 01:16:29 pm »
The title had my hopes up.

Reince, Fail, Repeat....

:smokin:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:46 pm »
The title had my hopes up.

Reince, Fail, Repeat....

:smokin:

Yeah, mine too.   

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 05:46:55 pm »
I don't know who or what you are, but that's a perfect quote of the Alinskyite leftists, e.g. "Gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette...".

Congrats!

:bsflag:

Me, I prefer principle, truth, and honor, which is why I'm #NeverTrump.

At the TOS late last year, I cut/pasted the Alinsky playbook, and provided examples to the Orange herd of how Trump was conducting a text book example.  (s)Trumpet heads were exploding.  Though they won't admit it, I suspect that this was the blue print of their campaign.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 06:27:00 pm »
goopo

I wish more people knew that history!

Including the Pulitzer Prize committee a few years ago, which somewhat flatly rejected---after two
decades' of effort, spearheaded by the New York Times itself (beginning with a scathing
signed editorial written shortly after Stalin's Apologist was published) and including groups from
Ukraine and Russia---the idea of revoking Duranty's 1932 Pulitzer Prize, on the grounds that (are
you ready?) "there was not clear and convincing evidence of deliberate deception, the relevant
standard in this case."

(Strange disclosure: Starting after Stalin's Apologist, then-New York Times publisher
Arthur Ochs [Punch] Sulzberger offered to return the prize if indeed Duranty's reporting proved
what its critics said. His son and successor publisher, Arthur Oches [Pinch] Sulzberger, Jr., has
since declined to return the prize, arguing that The Times doesn't have it in its possession.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:43:35 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 06:32:12 pm »
Including the Pulitzer Prize committee a few years ago, which somewhat flatly rejected---after two
decades' of effort, spearheaded by the New York Times itself (beginning with a scathing
signed editorial written shortly after Stalin's Apologist was published) and including groups from
Ukraine and Russia---the idea of revoking Duranty's 1932 Pulitzer Prize, on the grounds that (are
you ready?) "there was not clear and convincing evidence of deliberate deception, the relevant
standard in this case."

**nononono*

One can only wonder what clear and convincing evidence might be for those idiots!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:34:43 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 06:56:46 pm »
  **nononono*

One can only wonder what clear and convincing evidence might be for those idiots!

One also wonders if Pinch Sulzberger knows his own paper's history, since the Times
had been nothing but critical of its former Moscow correspondent for long years after
Duranty finally left the Times, and since Pinch's own father offered to return
the prize if such evidence should continue coming forth. Which, of course, it did;
a second book about Duranty directly, Not Worthy: Walter Duranty's Pulitzer Prize
and the New York Times
, was published in 2004. And in 1990, shortly after
the publication of Stalin's Apologist, Pinch's pop ordered one member of the
paper's editorial board, Karl Meyer, to write a signed editorial about Duranty:

On Christmas Day in 1933, Joseph Stalin conferred this orchid on his favorite Western journalist:

''You have done a good job in your reporting the U.S.S.R., though you are not a Marxist, because you try to
tell the truth about our country . . . I might say that you bet on our horse to win when others thought it had
no chance and I am sure you have not lost by it.''

The reporter was Walter Duranty, then The New York Times's Moscow correspondent, who is credited with
coining the term ''Stalinism.'' He was fascinated, almost mesmerized by the harsh system he described. And
having bet on Stalin's rise in the 1920's, Mr. Duranty remained loyally partial to his horse. The result was some
of the worst reporting to appear in this newspaper.

He worked at a time when foreign correspondents traveled fast and light in well-worn trenchcoats. Before World
War II, the best of the bunch tended to be self-trained and self-promoting. Eccentricity was indulged; so was
special pleading.

Arguments about Mr. Duranty have gone on for years, and the essential facts were set forth in 1980 by Harrison
Salisbury in Without Fear or Favor. Now his lapses are freshly detailed in Stalin's Apologist, a biography by S. J.
Taylor [see today's Book Review] . The biggest Duranty lapse was his indifference to the catastrophic famine in
1930-31, when millions perished in the Ukraine on the heels of forced collectivization. He shrugged off the famine
as ''mostly bunk,'' and in any case, as he admonished the squeamish, ''You can't make an omelette without breaking
eggs.''

A reader of Ms. Taylor's book may reasonably ask why The Times employed the fallible Mr. Duranty full time in
Moscow from 1921 to 1934, and part time until 1940. Initially, he owed his rise to chagrin. The Times had been
faulted in a famous 1920 article by Walter Lippmann and Charles Merz for biased and erratic accounts of the new
Bolshevik state. They found it had reported the state's collapse, or imminent collapse, on 91 occasions in two
years. This was a case, they wrote, ''of seeing not what was, but what men wished to see.''

Embarrassed, The Times turned to Walter Duranty, a quirky Briton with a vivid pen who had covered the carnage
of World War I. Once in Moscow, Mr. Duranty became convinced (1) that Communist rule was irreversible; (2)
that its excesses arose ineluctably from ''the Slavic soul''; and (3) that Stalin, the ruthless Man of Steel, would
transform Russia, at whatever cost, into a powerful modern state.

In these convictions, Mr. Duranty led the pack but was scarcely alone among his Western colleagues. Capitalism's
plunge into global depression lent credibility to bogus Soviet statistics claiming success for Five-Year Plans. And fear
of expulsion added to reporters' reluctance to examine the grisly underside of Stalin's paradise.

An exception was Malcolm Muggeridge, who did report on the great famine in The Manchester Guardian. He found
his dispatches unwelcome; they were not what his editors wanted to see. That a state would deliberately starve
millions of its people seemed shockingly implausible. Bernard Shaw expressed a common view in saying he found
it impossible to believe Stalin was only a ''vulgar gangster.''

Even so, Mr. Duranty's slanted reports provoked consternation among his editors and furious protest from readers.
The editorial page vigorously dissented from his accounts. Yet his tenure was prolonged by the traditions of a different
era. Nor did it hurt that he won a Pulitzer Prize in 1934 for what his judges called ''scholarship, profundity, impartiality,
sound judgment and clarity.''

His new biographer finds Mr. Duranty was neither a Communist nor swayed by Moscow gold. Instead, his failings
reflected a more mundane affliction: he succumbed to a thesis. Having bet his reputation on Stalin, he strove to
preserve it by ignoring or excusing Stalin's crimes. He saw what he wanted to see.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/24/opinion/the-editorial-notebook-trenchcoats-then-and-now.html

Remember that, ladies and gentlemen, the next time particularly rabid supporters of any
candidate who (they think) will upend whatever (you wonder now whether it was so about
supporters of, say, George Wallace, Jesse Jackson, or H. Ross Perot) apply to him (or her) the
Durantian observation that you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 07:34:05 pm »
One also wonders if Pinch Sulzberger knows his own paper's history, since the Times
had been nothing but critical of its former Moscow correspondent for long years after
Duranty finally left the Times, and since Pinch's own father offered to return
the prize if such evidence should continue coming forth. Which, of course, it did;
a second book about Duranty directly, Not Worthy: Walter Duranty's Pulitzer Prize
and the New York Times
, was published in 2004. And in 1990, shortly after
the publication of Stalin's Apologist, Pinch's pop ordered one member of the
paper's editorial board, Karl Meyer, to write a signed editorial about Duranty:

Remember that, ladies and gentlemen, the next time particularly rabid supporters of any
candidate who (they think) will upend whatever (you wonder now whether it was so about
supporters of, say, George Wallace, Jesse Jackson, or H. Ross Perot) apply to him (or her) the

Such melodrama over a little phrase. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 07:54:32 pm »

Durante was just one of many. 

To long to recreate here but here's some more from the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/h/haynes-venona.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:55:06 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 07:58:17 pm »

And, at other times it exposes the bias of the speaker.

Silver Pines

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:23 pm »
Probably my Fallout Vault 77 comment from the FR thread last night. A couple of us were discussing which Vault experiment the Trump fanatics on Fr resembled most. I said Vault 77, which in the game was a vault occupied by one crazy man and a crate full of puppets.

LOL, if I ever get the craving to do an opus (probably won't), I'm going to post that as my closing line.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 09:11:05 pm »

And, depending upon the context, sometimes you can choke on a cigar. Like it or not,
political correctness or not, words still have meanings. So do the phrases into which
they are forged.

Deploying a phrase first deployed---as Walter Duranty deployed it when he coined it---
to justify or at least encourage willful ignorance of one of the worst mass murders of
which history has record, on behalf of a contemporary political candidate who is nothing
if not well enough renowned for his misuse and even abuse of what's left of the English
language, can only be described charitably as grotesque, and its deployers on that behalf
should be dismissed forever as ignorant at minimum and philistines at maximum.