Author Topic: New York plane crash: WW2 aircraft in Hudson River  (Read 566 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
New York plane crash: WW2 aircraft in Hudson River
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:00:51 pm »
New York plane crash: WW2 aircraft in Hudson River

A vintage World War Two aircraft has crashed in the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey.

The plane - a single-seater P-47 Thunderbolt - went down two miles (3.2km) south of George Washington Bridge.

Divers later recovered a body - believed to be that of the pilot - from the submerged plane.

The cause of the crash has not been confirmed, but engine failure has been cited as a possible cause.

The plane was one of three that flew from an airfield in Farmingdale, east of New York City.

Read More At: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36404322

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: New York plane crash: WW2 aircraft in Hudson River
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:50:49 pm »
I'm sorry to hear the pilot died.  I was watching the reports last night and they said they had pulled one survivor out of the water - of course, most initial news reports are wrong these days.  Terrible accident.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:57:48 pm »
It seems like a fair number of air-show or vintage planes have catastrophic results. I would not feel comfortable in a lot of them. I mean, I don't fly, but one hears about a lot of mishaps and it is probably mechanical failure. I don't know if the planes are not sound or are just not in good mechanical shape.  Then, again, we don't hear about all of the successful flights of antique planes where nothing happens.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 02:25:19 pm »
A very good friend of mine had a German FW190. He became obsessed with the restoration and wanted it so perfect he had a    over $2 million dollars into it and it was still not flying-still in pieces.

He sold it to the Collings Foundation a few years back who is going to finish it.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:05:03 pm »

So sad.  The Thud is a wonderful aircraft.  I wonder whether this might have been the one scheduled to be at the WWII air show in Reading, Pennsylvania, next weekend.

Thoughts and prayers for the pilot's family and friends.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 04:10:35 pm »
A shame.  I think, though, that many of this aircraft were primitive even in their prime, so maybe they're more prone to accidents than new planes today are. 

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 04:24:33 pm »
Condolences and prayers for the family...the pilot was able to do what many can only dream of doing.

These restored war birds are usually incorporating a lot of newer technology and requirements that weren't around when they were "busy".  But these planes also don't have redundant systems like newer planes and the pilot would have had to have a parachute to escape the plane, if he were willing and able.

A shame to lose a flying piece of history.

I've worked in aviation for over 30 years as a mechanic...you do your best to listen and look for anomalies and fix them before they become a major problem, you maintain the aircraft by the book, you perform the maintenance at the proper interval and yet, there's always the chance. 

An airplane that flew spectacularly the day before can become a pig the next day...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.