Author Topic: Libertarian ‘dream ticket’ in peril as Weld bombs in Orlando  (Read 333 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/gary-johnson-william-weld-libertarian-ticket-convention-223682

Libertarian ‘dream ticket’ in peril as Weld bombs in Orlando

Party activists could reject the two-term Massachusetts governor as ‘Republican-lite’.

By Shane Goldmacher

05/27/16 09:44 PM EDT

ORLANDO, Fla. — It was supposed to be a stroke of genius: Gary Johnson, the 2012 Libertarian nominee for president and the party’s leading contender in 2016, announced that William Weld, the two-term former Republican governor of Massachusetts, would serve as his running mate.

The idea was clear and appealing. The pair would comprise a powerful two-governor ticket just as the leading Democratic and Republican contenders, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, rate as historically unpopular. The hope was they could emerge as a true third-party alternative.

But here in the corridors of the Rosen Centre Hotel and Resort at the Libertarian National Convention in Orlando, it could all fall apart as anti-authoritarian Libertarian Party activists, loath to be defined as “Republican-lite,” are increasingly and loudly critical of Weld, who joined their party only weeks ago.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RedHead

Re: Libertarian ‘dream ticket’ in peril as Weld bombs in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:42:05 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/gary-johnson-william-weld-libertarian-ticket-convention-223682

Libertarian ‘dream ticket’ in peril as Weld bombs in Orlando

Party activists could reject the two-term Massachusetts governor as ‘Republican-lite’.

By Shane Goldmacher

05/27/16 09:44 PM EDT

ORLANDO, Fla. — It was supposed to be a stroke of genius: Gary Johnson, the 2012 Libertarian nominee for president and the party’s leading contender in 2016, announced that William Weld, the two-term former Republican governor of Massachusetts, would serve as his running mate.

The idea was clear and appealing. The pair would comprise a powerful two-governor ticket just as the leading Democratic and Republican contenders, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, rate as historically unpopular. The hope was they could emerge as a true third-party alternative.

But here in the corridors of the Rosen Centre Hotel and Resort at the Libertarian National Convention in Orlando, it could all fall apart as anti-authoritarian Libertarian Party activists, loath to be defined as “Republican-lite,” are increasingly and loudly critical of Weld, who joined their party only weeks ago.

continued

Makes sense.  I mean what political party in their right mind would take a man who a short while ago was not a member of their party, who has run for office under a different party, and who doesn't really agree with a lot of the party's core beliefs and put him on the ticket?  Oh, wait a minute....

And while I've got you I have a question.  Not that I'm complaining but what makes me a "Hero Member" and what is the significance of the number of squares and the color under it?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:43:40 pm »
Makes sense.  I mean what political party in their right mind would take a man who a short while ago was not a member of their party, who has run for office under a different party, and who doesn't really agree with a lot of the party's core beliefs and put him on the ticket?  Oh, wait a minute....

And while I've got you I have a question.  Not that I'm complaining but what makes me a "Hero Member" and what is the significance of the number of squares and the color under it?

It seems that the Libertarian had more sense than the GOP..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:48:36 pm »

It seems that the Libertarian had more sense than the GOP..
All the delusional idiot voters voted in the Republican primaries.
Former Republican.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 06:06:15 pm »
I hate Libertarians.   They are worse than Liberals because they actually try to make Liberal ideas work.   

No  functional fiscal system can exist without a functional moral system underpinning society.   

If you don't have a moral foundation,   than stealing is not wrong,  the concept of "private property"  becomes meaningless,   and slavery is just a question of opportunity. 

Libertarians need to grow up.   Stop acting like children who think they can have their cake and eat it too.   As Edmund Burke said:

Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites, — in proportion as their love to justice is above their rapacity, — in proportion as their soundness and sobriety of understanding is above their vanity and presumption, — in proportion as they are more disposed to listen to the counsels of the wise and good, in preference to the flattery of knaves. Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:11:47 pm »

Hero member - more than 10 posts. (I think it's 10, might be a tad more)

Number of squares - activity. The more squares, the more active the member is.

Colour - no idea. I'm green on World News because I'm the mod there, that's about the only colour I know what it means.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 06:17:34 pm »
All the delusional idiot voters voted in the Republican primaries.

I think you are right..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 06:27:49 pm »
Gary Johnson Booed at Libertarian Party Convention for Calling William Weld 'the original libertarian'

Former Republican governor's praise for former Republican governor comes under fire from current Libertarians

snip

https://reason.com/blog/2016/05/27/gary-johnson-booed-at-libertarian-party
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 06:36:37 pm »
The LP will pick their candidates (May 30) BEFORE all of the state primaries are completed (June 7).

Brilliant planning, timing, strategy.

Yet another example of political insider elites, willfully ignoring the voters, in favor of their own ideas, plans etc.

When asking yourselves "How did Trump happen?"

Consider the GOP, the democrats, and EVEN the LP do much the same thing. May in Orlando. Nice outing.

"Rosen Centre Features:
•Complimentary scheduled shuttles to Universal® Orlando, SeaWorld® and Aquatica®
•Eclectic dining choices at Rosen Centre echo regional flair and flavors. With everything from the freshest sushi and seafood to prime steaks, there’s something to satisfy every appetite.
•12 minutes from Orlando International Airport, 5 minutes to Universal® Orlando, one mile to SeaWorld® Orlando, one block from Point Orlando, a 17-acre shopping and entertainment complex, and minutes from world class shopping at The Florida Mall and The Mall at Millenia."

https://www.lp.org/event/lp-2016-national-convention
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RedHead

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 07:10:01 pm »
Hero member - more than 10 posts. (I think it's 10, might be a tad more)

Number of squares - activity. The more squares, the more active the member is.

Colour - no idea. I'm green on World News because I'm the mod there, that's about the only colour I know what it means.

Thanks