Author Topic: Brian Williams: U.S. Is ‘The Only Nation to Have Used’ Nuclear Weapons ‘In Anger’  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Brian Williams:
U.S. Is ‘The Only Nation to Have Used’ Nuclear Weapons ‘In Anger’

Fishrrman:
So what, Mr. Williams...?

We had good cause to be "angry" with the Japanese back then.
And the Germans, too.

When engaged in war at the existential level, one uses whatever weapons one has in order to win.

Using the atomic bomb shortened the war and saved thousands upon thosands of lives on both sides.

I assert that our use of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima was arguably an act of COMPASSION.

So there!

Offline Suppressed

It's the difference between a definition and an implication. Sometimes the definition of a word means one thing, but  - in the vernacular - the word implies another meaning. That is how I interpreted (inferred, if you will) the remark.

I've never seen or heard it used otherwise.  I think you're putting in an implication that's not there.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

To me the tell is not necessarily in the word "anger" but in the "only country to have used".  What other country has used nukes in any way other than testing?  It gives the impression that other countries have used nukes in a more responsible manner than the US has.  I guess it could be argued that they have been 'used' as a deterent.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The world is full of stupid people! Brian Williams is but one of them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bob434

[[To me the tell is not necessarily in the word "anger" but in the "only country to have used".  What other country has used nukes in any way other than testing?  It gives the impression that other countries have used nukes in a more responsible manner than the US has.]]

Apparently they did so gleefully, happily- cheerfully- Shame on us for being angry lol