Author Topic: Donald Trump under oath: Trump University's promises crumble  (Read 661 times)

Offline thatcher

Donald Trump under oath: Trump University's promises crumble

The ads for his university were classic Donald Trump -- Trump stares into the camera and proclaims:

"We're going to have professors and adjunct professors that are absolutely terrific people, terrific brains, successful. We are going to have the best of the best... and these are people that are handpicked by me."

But a CNN investigation finds that Trump and others involved in the school admitted under oath that some promises made to students just didn't happen.

In Trump's own deposition this past December, Trump failed to recognize the name of a single presenter or teacher at his real estate seminars. He also confirmed he had nothing to do with the selection process of instructors who taught at the school's events or mentors for the school's "Gold Elite" programs.

A review of Trump University presenters and so-called real estate experts found many with questionable credentials and inflated resumes. Court documents show background-checks conducted during the hiring process could not determine whether some instructors even graduated high school.

Trump University brought in an estimated $40 million from up to 10,000 enrollees between 2005 and 2010, when the New York Department of Education said it was no longer allowed to call itself a university. The company changed its name to the Trump Entrepreneur Initiative and shut down in 2011.

As Trump looks ahead to the general election, criticisms and legal battles over his unlicensed university continue to chase him on the campaign trail. A ruling this month means one lawsuit filed against Trump University in California -- which could potentially have had him take the stand as he was running for president -- now won't go to trial until November 28, after the election. Two others remain pending, but all three suits argue the program defrauded students with marketing schemes built on empty promises.

As the lawsuits move forward, so do the depositions. And it is in deposition, under oath, where the truth has emerged behind Trump's university, his lack of involvement in the school's curriculum and his lack of knowledge about who was hired to teach what was advertised as "Trump's Secrets" to real estate success.

Continued

There wasn't one part of his pitch that was actually true," Schneiderman told CNN.

Continued

Read more at: http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/27/news/trump-university/index.html

Offline roamer_1

Re: Donald Trump under oath: Trump University's promises crumble
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:14:55 pm »
"defrauded [...] with marketing schemes built on empty promises."

Gee... some how that seems so familiar...

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:17:50 pm »
Repeat the same failed garbage from the primary...

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:22:53 pm »

General election is a different story.  Something like this might have more legs in an environment where student loan debt is an issue. 

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:26:32 pm »
General election is a different story.  Something like this might have more legs in an environment where student loan debt is an issue.
Nah, the people who would care are on the right. and they did not, at least not enough to matter.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline RedHead

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:46:22 pm »

We'll see when Crooked Donald Trump takes the stand.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 10:21:12 pm »
From the article:

Limon describes the course material as useless and devoid of any advanced real estate techniques. The one tip he does recall came from an instructor who detailed the benefits of paying off unpaid tax debts of elderly people -- keeping them in their homes until they die -- but then taking ownership of their properties.
"When I saw that teaching, you had to steal somebody's house? This is not right," Limon said. "We were ripped off."

Sounds so typical of a trump business.....pure scam out to make money for trump.
There is a rope a dope going on here- of the #neverTrump people by the one who wrote this garbage.
The thing above is called a Reverse Mortgage - the same thing you see advertised on TV. its not theft.  As far as the law suit Trump is a witness not the defendant I think. 

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 10:40:32 pm »
Rope a dope?  :silly: You are twisting yourself into all types of knots defending all that is trump.  :chairbang:

I am quite familiar with reverse mortgage and how it can be abused. I can also spot scams like trump university as I am constantly protecting my elderly parents and in-laws from the
predators like trump and his ilk and those that enable them with statements like "well, it is legal". We will see if what trump did was legal, but it sure was not ethical.
Oh Really then why are you all up and blaming Trump when hes only a Defense Witness?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 10:44:10 pm »
There is a rope a dope going on here- of the #neverTrump people by the one who wrote this garbage.
The thing above is called a Reverse Mortgage - the same thing you see advertised on TV. its not theft.  As far as the law suit Trump is a witness not the defendant I think.

So, there's absolutely nothing illegal about this.  It's not lying, cheating or stealing, just playing within the rules of the game that not everyone knows about.  Kinda like using the rules that not everyone bothers to find out about for capturing delegates for yourself during a primary election?

Offline thatcher

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 10:45:47 pm »

Am waiting for facts to refute the assertions in this article.  Although I'm sure that there are talented real estate savvy individuals who have the capital to fund reverse mortgages for elderly people who need to tap the equity in their homes --- Trump (Fraud) University was not educating its "students" to do this.

As for the witness vs defendant claim: 

A New York judge ruled Tuesday that a fraud lawsuit brought by the New York attorney general against Donald Trump and his real estate school will go to trial, setting up a potentially unprecedented situation that could feature the Republican presidential front-runner taking the stand.

Justice Cynthia Kern on Tuesday denied the New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s request that she rule on the case now, paving the way for a trial over allegations by the attorney general that Trump University fraudulently bilked students out of a collective $40 million. Trump is a defendant in the case.

Read more at:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/judge-rules-trump-fraud-fraud-casewill-go-to-trial-2016-04-26

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:49:21 pm »
So, there's absolutely nothing illegal about this.  It's not lying, cheating or stealing, just playing within the rules of the game that not everyone knows about.  Kinda like using the rules that not everyone bothers to find out about for capturing delegates for yourself during a primary election?
I do not know about the case enuf to say it has no merit. What I do know is that Trump is a witness for the defense not a Defendant and the entire purpose of this thread is to say hes a crook. I.e, making him the Defendant.  as far as the quote, it sounded like a Reverse mortgage which would be legal and for some elderly people a way to have extra money in their last years from a house they can still live in.
So holster the attack dog. Read the facts.
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-to-testify-in-trump-university-lawsuit-post-election-2016-5
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:50:24 pm by Mechanicos »

Offline thatcher

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:45 pm »

False.

Justice Cynthia Kern on Tuesday denied the New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s request that she rule on the case now, paving the way for a trial over allegations by the attorney general that Trump University fraudulently bilked students out of a collective $40 million. Trump is a defendant in the case.

Read more at:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/judge-rules-trump-fraud-fraud-casewill-go-to-trial-2016-04-26

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 11:02:34 pm »
I do not know about the case enuf to say it has no merit. What I do know is that Trump is a witness for the defense not a Defendant and the entire purpose of this thread is to say hes a crook. I.e, making him the Defendant.  as far as the quote, it sounded like a Reverse mortgage which would be legal and for some elderly people a way to have extra money in their last years from a house they can still live in.
So holster the attack dog. Read the facts.
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-to-testify-in-trump-university-lawsuit-post-election-2016-5

I'm not talking abut the case. I'm talking about your defense of using the rules, probably little known rules, for your own (not you, just in general) gain and then calling it lying, cheating and stealing for the gain of someone else you happen to disagree with.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 11:16:30 pm »

Yep I think the standard was made perfectly clear by Trump himself.  Obviously, by his own reasoning, he's a sleazy, lying, cheater.  His University was rigged!
James 1:20

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 11:17:54 pm »
False.

Read more at:

"Your story was not found"

Opps

Offline sinkspur

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 11:44:26 pm »
"Your story was not found"

Opps
Ok looked it up read the briefs for one side. There are 2 cases not one. One is CA the other is National. The CA one is on advertising mostly and is statutory. Trump is defendant in the CA one but is not named in the National one. So therein is the confusion. Both are the same ones the GOPe pushed hard in the Primary that conservative voters ignored. In both no action is planned until after the November election.

Sorry #nevertrumpers, its a no go for your purposes
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:45:21 pm by Mechanicos »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 01:26:29 am »
Rope a dope?  :silly: You are twisting yourself into all types of knots defending all that is trump.  :chairbang:

I am quite familiar with reverse mortgage and how it can be abused. I can also spot scams like trump university as I am constantly protecting my elderly parents and in-laws from the
predators like trump and his ilk and those that enable them with statements like "well, it is legal". We will see if what trump did was legal, but it sure was not ethical.

It is certainly not ethical.  I hate Ponzi schemes.  They take advantage of people with more hope than brains, who are often elderly or desperate.

Whether it is legal not not... we may find that out as this lawsuit moves on.  Certainly promises were made and broken.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline thatcher

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 02:11:20 am »
Ok looked it up read the briefs for one side. There are 2 cases not one. One is CA the other is National. The CA one is on advertising mostly and is statutory. Trump is defendant in the CA one but is not named in the National one. So therein is the confusion. Both are the same ones the GOPe pushed hard in the Primary that conservative voters ignored. In both no action is planned until after the November election.

Sorry #nevertrumpers, its a no go for your purposes

Okay, let me get this straight --

Trump and his associates defrauded many people who paid tens of thousands of dollars of hard earned savings because they believed in his "real estate expertise".

That's OK because a plurality of primary voters didn't know about it -- or didn't care.  And the majority of the electorate who don't follow politics 24/7 will ignore these stories because -- I'm struggling here with your reasoning.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 02:24:50 am »
Nope. It was over misrepresentations in advertising - a video ad he had done. From what I could tell one was he personally knew/picked the teachers, and they were promised his "secrets." Reason the CA one is set for trial is Trump stated in deposition he did not pick the teachers. as far as the "secrets" that's an issue of fact not resolved. Both sides have evidence on it and court will have to resolve it. Its statutory case. Truth in adverting stuff in California.

Offline thatcher

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 02:37:12 am »
Okay, now we're reduced to discussing venues and jurisdictions.   I notice that you didn't respond to why it was perfectly fine for him to fleece unsuspecting folks from their savings.

Instead you described his campaign/candidacy beautifully:

It was over misrepresentations in advertising.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 02:38:26 am »
Okay, now we're reduced to discussing venues and jurisdictions.   I notice that you didn't respond to why it was perfectly fine for him to fleece unsuspecting folks from their savings.

Instead you described his campaign/candidacy beautifully:

It was over misrepresentations in advertising.
Because I do not play games with TDS