Author Topic: RNC Rules Comm. Member: Every Delegate At GOP Convention Not Bound On First Ballot  (Read 902 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
RNC Rules Comm. Member: Every Delegate At GOP Convention Not Bound On First Ballot

A Republican National Committee Standing Rules Committee member told the membership Friday that convention delegates are not bound to cast their votes at the convention according to primary vote results in the first round of voting.

Curly Haugland of North Dakota, a long time member of the RNC Standing Rules Committee,  sent a letter to the RNC membership at large about this issue. He explained how he came to the conclusion that all Republican delegates who participate in the 2016 Republican National Convention are unbound on each ballot round, including the first.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/13/rnc-rules-comm-member-every-delegate-at-gop-convention-not-bound-on-first-ballot/#ixzz49s3dIfsP

His letter is here http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/CURLY_HAUGLAND.pdf
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mechanicos

Lying, Cheating and Stealing is NOT Conservative.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Demanding that delegates be prohibited by rules from voting their consciences is fascistic.

#NeverTrump will manifest itself at the convention.   I urge Cruz and Kasich to rally their delegates to force a vote to affirm that the '80 convention rescinded the '76 rule.   That will remove the taint of "stealing".   Then damn it all, do what's best for the nation.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:12:24 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RoosGirl

I posted an article in Politics, I think yesterday, that gives a fairly detailed history on this issue. Seems the "conscience" clause has been in place for approx 100 years and with the exception of 1976, when Goldwater supporters changed the convention rules and required block or unit voting, all delegates have been able to vote conscience.  There are a number of court cases cited in that article that conclude that states' laws cannot supercede a private political body, so any state that requires unit voting is not applicable to the nomination.

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Seems the "conscience" clause has been in place for approx 100 years ...  There are a number of court cases cited in that article that conclude that states' laws cannot supercede a private political body, so any state that requires unit voting is not applicable to the nomination.

That's what they taught us in school too.

Here's a convention to remember ............. for your entertainment   http://c-spanvideo.org/x2rss/ (1976 Reagan)

Offline RetBobbyMI

As posted on another thread where you said the same thing:  "Lying, Cheating and Stealing" are criminal activities.  Using the rules to your advantage is not criminal.  Unless you have evidence of criminal wrongdoing, you're just flapping your gums!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy