Author Topic: Marines help terminally ill boy fulfill his dream  (Read 354 times)

rangerrebew

Marines help terminally ill boy fulfill his dream
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:58:01 am »
Marines help terminally ill boy fulfill his dream
A unit out of Camp Pendleton made 12-year-old Nathan Aldaco, who has a heart condition, a Marine for a day

April 20, 2016

https://www.military1.com/military-lifestyle/article/1597590014-marines-help-terminally-ill-boy-fulfill-his-dream/

By Military1 Staff

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A little boy with a rare genetic condition was able to knock an item off his bucket list last week, thanks to the U.S. Marine Corps.

For 12-year-old Nathan Aldaco, becoming a Marine was only a dream, until the 7th Engineer Support Battalion out of Camp Pendleton, Calif. took steps to make it a reality.

“It’s a true honor to do this for Nathan,” 1st Lt. Ernesto Gaudio said. “We wanted to make him feel like he was a part of the Marine family. We are in service to the United States of America and Nathan is a citizen. We were just making his wish come true.”

Nathan was diagnosed with hypoplastic left heart syndrome when he was little, which causes the left side of his heart to remain severely underdeveloped. He was contacted by the Make-a-Wish Foundation and allowed to make a request.

The Marines responded affirmatively.

Nathan was presented with a USMC combat uniform, and he, along with his parents and siblings, headed to the EOD compound on Camp Pendleton. The team took Nathan on a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) ride through a demolition range where they detonated TNT, C4, dynamite and blasting caps.

“The bombs were cool,” Nathan said. “I like working with the robots. It was fun controlling them and picking up stuff with them.”

For Nathan’s mother, Rebecca Aldaco the day was an emotional one.

“It’s been amazing,” she said in a Marine press release. “It was more than what I expected to do. He will cherish this forever. I think the whole family is having a good time and we are all enjoying it.”

At the end of the day, Nathan participated in an award ceremony, where he was presented with the Master EOD badge by Col. Jaime O. Collazo, the 1st MLG chief of staff. The EDO, according to the Marine press release, is the highest badge an EOD Marine can receive.

Gaudio said the day was not only an important one for Nathan, but for the team at Camp Pendleton, as well.

“It was a great opportunity,” Guadio said. “First of all, it was good for Nathan. I hope it was also good for the Marines. I think it touched a lot of our hearts. I will certainly never forget today, or Nathan and his family. I got emotional at the end, but, hey, we are human beings. We are Marines, but we are human.”

Rebecca Aldaco was inspired by her son’s emotional courage through his birth defect and grateful to the Marines for their dedication to making the day a special one for him.

“I want Nathan to know that we love him and that we are here for him,” she said. “We support him and I’m thankful to God for this experience as a family. I am just so grateful to all the Marines that did this for us.”
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:58:51 am by rangerrebew »