Author Topic: Transgender Veteran Sues Barber for Refusing to Cut Hair  (Read 1591 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Transgender Veteran Sues Barber for Refusing to Cut Hair
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:12:50 am »
Transgender Veteran Sues Barber for Refusing to Cut Hair

Barbershop's owner said his Christian religious beliefs forbid him from cutting a woman's hair. Kendall Oliver spoke of feeling humiliated by the shop's refusal

By Patrick Healy

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Transgender-Veteran-Sues-Barber-For-Refusing-to-Cut-Hair-380911411.html?_osource=nbcnews_fb

Two months after a Southern California barber cited scripture as a reason for denying a haircut to a transgender Army veteran, Kendall Oliver has filed suit, alleging a violation of civil rights.

Oliver, an Army reserve sergeant who served in Afghanistan, filed a lawsuit against The Barbershop in Rancho Cucamonga, citing an incident last March when the shop refused to cut Oliver's hair.

"What I'm looking for today is to make sure this never happens again to someone else," said Oliver, who was born female but identifies "more as male."

Owner Richard Hernandez said in March that his Christian religious beliefs forbid him from cutting a woman's hair.

excerpted

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Transgender Veteran Sues Barber for Refusing to Cut Hair
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:09:58 am »
Ah, not only playing the LGBT card but the veteran card as well.

Yet you will see people even here say criticizing a veteran is off-limits.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:37 am »
Owner Richard Hernandez said in March that his Christian religious beliefs forbid him from cutting a woman's hair.

I did a keyword search in my Bible, and I just couldn't find anything that forbade anybody from cutting a woman's hair, man or woman.

I'm just curious how Hernandez could tell a person dressed as a man was a woman.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 01:34:43 am »

I did a keyword search in my Bible, and I just couldn't find anything that forbade anybody from cutting a woman's hair, man or woman.

I'm just curious how Hernandez could tell a person dressed as a man was a woman.

First Cor 11:15 is what I believe the barber is referring to. But, once again. It's beside the point. The poor mentally ill one could easily have found someone to cut her / his hair. Everyone knows this.

It's not about "service." That is widely available. It's about coercion.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:37:18 am »
Clearly he could tell or there would be no controversy.  It is not like the woman could not get her hair cut somewhere else.  Barber shops have long served only men.  I am sure some don't mind serving women.  But shouldn't the owner have the freedom to decide what service to offer?  Is freedom totally dead in the U.S.of G.?

As for the Bible, do you get to interpret it for everyone?

Deuteronomy 22:5King James Version (KJV)

5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

How could he tell a person who dressed like a man was a woman?  I'm just curious.

If he didn't know HOW to cut the guy's hair, he should have said that, instead of coming up with this lame excuse.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:38:49 am »
First Cor 11:15 is what I believe the barber is referring to. But, once again. It's beside the point. The poor mentally ill one could easily have found someone to cut her / his hair. Everyone knows this.

It's not about "service." That is widely available. It's about coercion.

There's a lot about this we don't know. I suspect this barber doesn't do hair for gay guys either. 

Can't do that. He's going to lose this lawsuit.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:44:41 am »

So if a grocery checkout clerk takes offense with LBGT, does that mean they get no food either ??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:48:55 am »
So if a grocery checkout clerk takes offense with LBGT, does that mean they get no food either ??

A local hardware store refuses to check out anyone who is talking on a cell phone. Should I sue them?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:49:10 am »

By the logic employed by some, yes.

I just don't get this.  I really don't.  A barber not willing to cut the hair of someone who looks like a man and probably had a man's hair cut.

What did the barber do?  Grope the guy's groin?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 01:50:06 am »
A local hardware store refuses to check out anyone who is talking on a cell phone. Should I sue them?

So, you put down the phone.

But if they refuse a gay, not much the gay can do about it.  Except sue.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 02:11:08 am »
By the logic employed by some, yes.

I just don't get this.  I really don't.  A barber not willing to cut the hair of someone who looks like a man and probably had a man's hair cut.

What did the barber do?  Grope the guy's groin?

If you read the article, barber thought the woman(ish) was doing wrong, regardless of genitalia. Barber did not want to participate is taking away the womanish's glory.

Whacko?  Maybe. But coercing conscience is a jillion times worse.

Walk down the damned street and get your haircut.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:15:53 am »
If you read the article, barber thought the woman(ish) was doing wrong, regardless of genitalia. Barber did not want to participate is taking away the womanish's glory.

Whacko?  Maybe. But coercing conscience is a jillion times worse.

Walk down the damned street and get your haircut.

The barber is going to wish he had cut the guy's hair, even if the transgender loses in court.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 02:20:34 am »
So, you put down the phone.

But if they refuse a gay, not much the gay can do about it.  Except sue.

Well, there is also the choice of going somewhere they are welcome.  Would you want your hair cut by someone who may be hostile towards you?  Could take weeks to grow out.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 02:41:04 am »
Well, there is also the choice of going somewhere they are welcome.  Would you want your hair cut by someone who may be hostile towards you?  Could take weeks to grow out.

When I go get my car fixed, I shouldn't have to worry about the guy sabotaging my car because I might have a statue of Jesus on the dash. (I don't, by the way).

If I was the barber, I'd offer to give this guy a free haircut.  He's going to wish he had.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 03:02:30 am »
When I go get my car fixed, I shouldn't have to worry about the guy sabotaging my car because I might have a statue of Jesus on the dash. (I don't, by the way).

If I was the barber, I'd offer to give this guy a free haircut.  He's going to wish he had.

I was kind of making a joke about getting a bad haircut from someone you know doesn't like you.  If you don't like the values of the person you are potentially doing business with, why would you want to do business with them.  I so tired of people being sued over this kind of thing.  I shouldn't be forced to do business with anyone, nor someone be forced to do business with me.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 03:05:30 am »
I was kind of making a joke about getting a bad haircut from someone you know doesn't like you.  If you don't like the values of the person you are potentially doing business with, why would you want to do business with them.  I so tired of people being sued over this kind of thing.  I shouldn't be forced to do business with anyone, nor someone be forced to do business with me.

The problem is, where do you draw the line? What about the guy who just can't stand black people? Should he be shown the door rather than given a haircut? 

If somebody walks in and is cussing and belligerent, yeah, throw him out.  But discriminating on who a person is?  I don't think that's going to fly for much longer. 

And it shouldn't.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 03:15:20 am »
The problem is, where do you draw the line? What about the guy who just can't stand black people? Should he be shown the door rather than given a haircut? 

If somebody walks in and is cussing and belligerent, yeah, throw him out.  But discriminating on who a person is?  I don't think that's going to fly for much longer. 

And it shouldn't.

Yeah, actually I do think ANYONE should be able to be denied service for ANY reason.  Business probably won't last very long, that would be a PR nighmare for anyone not willing to serve blacks.  I wouldn't do business there myself. 

Offline WAC

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 03:22:13 am »
  I shouldn't be forced to do business with anyone, nor someone be forced to do business with me.

That's exactly right.....Government should stay out of business.

When I was working in skin care there were individuals I would not "touch" their skin.  ...and the reason I left the profession as well. 

There's no reason why you should be forced, or sued, for refusing to take on a customer.  It's YOUR business!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 03:30:16 am »
That's exactly right.....Government should stay out of business.

Yep. I think this is what has lead "us" to accepting being told we have to buy health insurance, bake cakes, take pictures, allow men in the women's room, etc.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 03:34:40 am »

And it shouldn't.

I disagree with everything.

If a guy running a barber shop "just can't stand Black people", then it is much preferable that the Black customer know this before sitting down. I see no problem with telling the guy that it would be better for 'him', not necessarily only for the barber shop, to go somewhere else. Everyone benefits. We have been trained to think that disliking this or that race (especially Black) is automatically "bad", when it may be a completely normal reaction to a set of experiences a person has had throughout his life which we know nothing about. How many Black people proudly and openly admit that they hate White people? I work with at least half a dozen like that. And so what? There is nothing wrong with that, to me. We still get along. I don't care if they feel that way. Better I know about it than not.

But, more than that, this is pure 'thought police' tactics pure and simple. The Left is making very specific 'thoughts' or opinions "illegal". And the illegality of a particular opinion is being selectively enforced by judges and armed State enforcement officials. All of this is exactly what Orwell predicted.

No one will ever complain that a White person is kicked out of a Black or Muslim barber shop, but the Left goes insane whenever a White Christian dares to express any opinion which does not conform to the State 'enforced' opinion, with which one is 'not allowed' to disagree unless you are in what is called a "protected class".

When I see gay marriages being forced into mosques, when I see openly gay Mullahs suing for their 'rights', I may start to believe all of this nonsense is legitimate. Until then, this strikes me as nothing more than another front in the ongoing Leftist war on Christianity (and only Christianity) and what they call 'White Privilege' (which is just code for unabashed blatant reverse racism).

But, whatever. That's just me I guess. I have to get to bed.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 03:40:36 am »
Ah, not only playing the LGBT card but the veteran card as well.

Yet you will see people even here say criticizing a veteran is off-limits.
@jmrylefuller

You won't hear that from this veteran...I will grant them initial respect, but if a veteran behaves like trash, then that's what they are...trash.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 09:15:03 am »
Barber got his Bible and Koran mixed up.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 09:16:14 am »
@jmrylefuller

You won't hear that from this veteran...I will grant them initial respect, but if a veteran behaves like trash, then that's what they are...trash.

Same. Some things they get an initial pass on. Being a tit and bringing shame on their unit is never one of those things.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 10:53:01 am »
How could he tell a person who dressed like a man was a woman?  I'm just curious.

If he didn't know HOW to cut the guy's hair, he should have said that, instead of coming up with this lame excuse.

Um. Go to the article link and take one look at that thing. You know what it is. It's a nasty bull dyke, of that there is no doubt.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!