Author Topic: How getting stomped by Donald Trump saved Ted Cruz's career  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: How getting stomped by Donald Trump saved Ted Cruz's career
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 06:05:36 pm »
There aren't enough "true conservatives" to elect a President. Hence the need to appeal to a more broad slice of the electorate.

It is not enough to merely preach to the choir. You must bring more members to the choir.. He does not do that.

The fact this needs explaining over and over, is the single fundamental shortcoming of conservatism.

“I am impatient with those Republicans who after the last election rushed into print saying, 'We must broaden the base of our party'- when what they meant was to fuzz up and blur even more the differences between ourselves and our opponents.”
― Ronald Reagan
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:10:26 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline bilo

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 07:12:50 pm »
Not sure I buy this analysis. Cruz is definitely a brilliant man. He was genuine and funny in less structured settings. The unlikeable tag is undeserved and smells of Trump.

:amen:

Sen Cruz is one of those rare individuals who refuses to let peer pressure and the innate desire to be liked rule his thinking. He believes in conservatism. He knows and respects the constitution.

Trump assassinated his character. Trump's followers copied their leader and repeated his lies. They will never admit  their guilt even after the coming fiasco in Nov.

We can only hope that Sen Cruz and other like minded conservatives are around to pick up the pieces after this mess called "Trump" is over.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 07:14:39 pm »
At least the author admits that Cruz has a political career ahead of him.  That's more than I can say for what is said about him at TOS.  Some will be committing sepaku when he is reelected in 2018.  This article won't last long if posted over there.

Who cares what they think. They are a bunch of protectionist union thugs.

Offline bilo

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »
Like Cruz' voice is worse than Hillary's? 

What I am trying to say is that social interaction for someone with Cruz' brain power is not easy.  Learning to interact with people with whom you do not have a lot in common is not easy for anyone.   That as a country we should fail to take advantage of his brilliance and his passion for the Constitution says more in the negative about us than it does about Cruz.

You are spot on!

Some of us have been around long enough to remember how Reagan's "folksy" speaking style was mocked.

It is especially disappointing to see people who loved Sen Cruz when he fought obamacare, amnesty,out of control spending, and for traditional Judeo Christian values now go out of their way to run down Sen Cruz because a protectionist liar is now their new leader.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:11 pm »
So, just curious here - The Observer has an article out saying that Clinton's campaign is over:http://observer.com/2016/05/game-over-emailgate-just-crippled-the-clinton-express/.  Let's say it is - how does that change your voting calculus when it's no longer an argument that you must vote for Trump in order to keep HRC out?

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »
Last February Cruz was bottom of my list just above Trump on a list of 18 as I indulged in my self defeat.  He was obstinate, arrogant, and deeply fun impaired.
later that month I gave up on my party.

A party I invested 30 years of my life into.

All down the drain for racist populism.

What the H3ll are you talking about?   What "racist populism"?   

And why would Cruz be at the bottom of your list?   "Fun impaired"?    What part of our future looks like we need a "fun"  guy to direct it?   

"Fun"   is the last thing we need to be worrying about when it comes to correcting this rampant,  out of control Federal government.    It's not going to be fun.   We don't need jolly fellows,   we need ball cutters.       

Cutting back the runaway Federal money spigot is not going to be a laughing matter for anyone.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline HootOwl

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 08:02:00 pm »
Cruz ain't near as smart, as his groupies think he is. He may be book smart, but he ain't people smart.

Being people smart means thinking and acting, so that people can like you.

Who are you to judge??     are you putting on an act or do you really converse like that?http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/Smileys/default/chair1.gif

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »
So, just curious here - The Observer has an article out saying that Clinton's campaign is over:http://observer.com/2016/05/game-over-emailgate-just-crippled-the-clinton-express/.  Let's say it is - how does that change your voting calculus when it's no longer an argument that you must vote for Trump in order to keep HRC out?

The democRATs will run someone.  If Hillary is to damaged to win, then we better get ready for Bernie.  Frankly he is more dangerous than she is.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:05:37 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »
The democRATs will run someone.  If Hillary is to damaged to win, then we better get ready for Bernie.  Frankly he is more dangerous than she is.

I agree.   He might actually have a chance at winning.   Hillary is already toast. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 08:19:10 pm »
Last February Cruz was bottom of my list just above Trump on a list of 18 as I indulged in my self defeat.  He was obstinate, arrogant, and deeply fun impaired.
later that month I gave up on my party.

A party I invested 30 years of my life into.

All down the drain for racist populism.

Oh dear.  So that's what happened.  I'm sorry, I've been there.  Painful, isn't it?  No wonder that after my extended absence I returned and found you among the most sane people here. 

And I mean that sincerely.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2016, 08:29:28 pm »
Cruz ain't near as smart, as his groupies think he is. He may be book smart, but he ain't people smart.

Yep. If this primary teaches us anything its that substance ain't worth a bucket of warm p*ss to this electorate.

I mean, who cares what a candidate will actually do once elected?

Gotta be a reality star and say outrageous things to get any attention at all.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2016, 08:47:35 pm »
Who cares what they think. They are a bunch of protectionist union thugs.
The article lasted fine over there. Its where I got this link/story form. I am not banned at TOS. It was a olive branch to the ones still hurting over Cruz dropping out like he did.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2016, 09:01:43 pm »
The article lasted fine over there. Its where I got this link/story form. I am not banned at TOS. It was a olive branch to the ones still hurting over Cruz dropping out like he did.

My issue is with the people who kept repeating lies about Cruz.   My issue is with Trump supporters pushing the claim that Cruz committed adultery with five different women. 

Whatever happened to that story by the way?    Now that it is no longer useful to help Trump,   why are we not hearing more about Ted Cruz's alleged adultery?   

One might almost think that the entire story was an unethical  fabrication made up by Trump supporters just to damage his opponent.    So is it still a story or what?   Inquiring minds want to know!       

My issue is with Trump supporters constantly repeating that Ted Cruz is a liar,   but when asked to demonstrate where he told a lie,   they cannot come up with anything a reasonable man would accept.   

My issue is with Trump supporters parroting the allegation against Ted Cruz's father:   That he had some connection to Kennedy's assassination.   

We've got Trump now,   but there still needs to be some retribution enacted on his supporters who promoted these lies just because they thought winning was more important than having ethics. 

I can live with Trump,   but I find it very objectionable that unethical people claim to be on my side.   

No your not.   If you are making up and repeating lies and gossip about one of our guys,   you are not ethical enough for me to accept you as being on my side. 

You are just like the Democrats,   but simply wearing a different uniform.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2016, 09:13:06 pm »
You haven't heard the latest trash on Cruz on TOS?  Cruz and Fiorina had an affair and Heidi confronted Fiorina about it in the bathroom.

I kid you not.  This is the garbage that the Trumpets are now blaring.

Wow.  That's some kind of sickness, the need to demonize and dehumanize Trump's competition. 

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »
You haven't heard the latest trash on Cruz on TOS?  Cruz and Fiorina had an affair and Heidi confronted Fiorina about it in the bathroom.

I kid you not.  This is the garbage that the Trumpets are now blaring.

It is that  kind of Emmanuel Goldstein sort of sh*t that makes me ashamed I ever thought they were decent people.   

This is Nazi-like.   And the Nazis set the bar for evil.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:45 am »

What the H3ll are you talking about?   What "racist populism"?

Trump is a racist, misogynist moron.  Clear enough?

And why would Cruz be at the bottom of your list?   "Fun impaired"?    What part of our future looks like we need a "fun"  guy to direct it?   

"Fun"   is the last thing we need to be worrying about when it comes to correcting this rampant,  out of control Federal government.    It's not going to be fun.   We don't need jolly fellows,   we need ball cutters.       

Cutting back the runaway Federal money spigot is not going to be a laughing matter for anyone.   

Senator Cruz has many flaws.  I don't need to list them all because it doesn't matter anymore.  He was an acceptable candidate I could vote for.  I can't vote for Trump.

I think a sense of humor is one of our most human qualities.  I have never seen Trump laugh.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:20 pm »

Not really true. I helped Cruz in his 2012 senatorial campaign, and when he met with us, he came across as very bright, articulate, and personable.  The "lyin" meme created by Trump is pure garbage.  His unpopularity stems that he did exactly what he said he was going to do in DC, and not cower to the DC establishment.  Granted, that made many enemies, but he is a man of his principles.

And as far as your "smartness" comment, that is totally off base as well.  What I did notice about Sen. Cruz, which did impact his campaign, is what I call a social awkwardness in the package of a "legal" nerd.  Don't worry, he is brilliant, but you are right, he is going to have to come across more "socially normal" to the populous.  Furthermore, senator Cruz (and i'll tell hime if I ever get another chance), needs to vary his message and style, so that it comes across (1) not sounding like a Baptist Minister (2) Leave out repeated cheesy anecdotal things like $20 sewed in your father's underwear.  I really think some of these were cringe worthy a lost him more swing voters than he realized.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 08:15:32 pm »
Not really true. I helped Cruz in his 2012 senatorial campaign, and when he met with us, he came across as very bright, articulate, and personable.  The "lyin" meme created by Trump is pure garbage.  His unpopularity stems that he did exactly what he said he was going to do in DC, and not cower to the DC establishment.  Granted, that made many enemies, but he is a man of his principles.

And as far as your "smartness" comment, that is totally off base as well.  What I did notice about Sen. Cruz, which did impact his campaign, is what I call a social awkwardness in the package of a "legal" nerd.  Don't worry, he is brilliant, but you are right, he is going to have to come across more "socially normal" to the populous.  Furthermore, senator Cruz (and i'll tell hime if I ever get another chance), needs to vary his message and style, so that it comes across (1) not sounding like a Baptist Minister (2) Leave out repeated cheesy anecdotal things like $20 sewed in your father's underwear.  I really think some of these were cringe worthy a lost him more swing voters than he realized.

Well said.

I've heard Cruz being spontaneous and funny in informal settings. I hope the next time around his handlers will allow him to be himself and depart from the damn script from time to time.

When imitating a handicapped reporter gets em rolling in the aisles it becomes pretty clear the collective electorate aren't real deep thinkers politically speaking (as condescending as that sounds). Even many of the politically active ones. Cruz will have to keep that in mind as he addresses them next time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:10:27 pm by skeeter »

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 08:23:43 pm »
.  Quote from: catfish1957 on Today at 04:08:20 PM
Furthermore, senator Cruz (and i'll tell hime if I ever get another chance), needs to vary his message and style, so that it comes across (1) not sounding like a Baptist Minister (2) Leave out repeated cheesy anecdotal things like $20 sewed in your father's underwear.  I really think some of these were cringe worthy a lost him more swing voters than he realized.
That pretty much done it  for me. Too preacher sounding.

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 08:27:31 pm »

I accept what you say. You start off saying I was wrong, and finish saying I was right on some of it. That works for me.

Back in my corporate era, we would have talked about the need to send him to "charm school."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline chae

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2016, 09:05:59 pm »
Cruz doing "The Simpson's' voices was funny.  There's a video where he mentions "taking over the world" which I believe he was quoting "Pinky and the Brain". 
I like him, and I think he kinda reminds me a bit of the character of "Wesley" from the tv show "Angel".  Incredibly smart, a bit dorky but when it comes down to it and the rubber meets the road, definitely someone you'd want at your back. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2016, 09:27:14 pm »

That's a really good post.

The one story that leaked out about him was when he dressed up in a dress or something for his girls' event.  That's the kind of humanizing thing that actually connects with a lot of people -- especially women.  But you're absolutely right -- he needs to lose that Baptist minister cadence and get a more conversational style.