Author Topic: How getting stomped by Donald Trump saved Ted Cruz's career  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Mechanicos

How getting stomped by Donald Trump saved Ted Cruz's career

Don't cry for Ted Cruz. The junior senator from Texas played his failed run for the White House perfectly.

All the evidence suggests that Cruz was genuinely in it to win the Republican nomination, dropping out only when it became mathematically impossible for him to become the nominee before the Republican National Convention and vanishingly difficult for him to wrest the nomination away from Donald Trump at the convention. He fought hard and executed a clever hug-Trump-until-the-end strategy. Surely, losing to the New York billionaire with shifting values, even among the Christian conservatives Cruz counted as his electoral rock, must have been hard and embarrassing.

But it was also a godsend. Losing to Trump saved Cruz from ruining his political career.

Barring a (not implausible) meltdown among Democrats or their almost certain nominee, Hillary Clinton, Cruz would have lost in November. He is, after all, to the right of Trump on just about every issue and lacks the charm or charisma or ideological flexibility to make his positions palatable to a majority of Americans. But now, Cruz gets to fall back on his cushy $174,000-a-year job as a U.S. senator, with about $9 million left in his campaign war chest and no campaign debt. Presumably, his wife gets to return to her job at Goldman Sachs.

Meanwhile, Cruz has raised his national profile to new heights, and he no longer has to travel the country shaking countless hands, eating terrible food, mangling easy sports references, threatening hecklers with a good spanking, and enduring sharp mockery from Trump, his supporters, and late-night comedians. But those are all fringe benefits. Losing to Trump was a winning proposition for Cruz because winning the Republican nomination would have destroyed Cruz's entire political brand.

From his run for Senate in Texas to his self-styled principled stands once he got to Washington, Cruz has portrayed himself as an untainted, unwavering paragon of conservatism. On the presidential campaign trail, he was the principled "constitutional conservative" that real conservatives could trust. That served Cruz well in the Republican primaries, but it would have been a Barry Goldwater–level disaster in the general election — unless Cruz were somehow able to move significantly to the center. And even if he had somehow been able to pull off a general-election pivot, it would have ruined him — being a principled conservative is Cruz's thing.

Cruz is basically a lock to win re-election to the Senate in 2018. He has a 32 percent favorable and 32 percent very favorable rating among Texas Republicans, and whoever wins the Republican primary will almost certainly win the Senate seat. But his real strength is among self-identified "extremely conservative" voters, and if Cruz abandoned his extremely conservative policy positions to try and win a general election, those are the voters who would remember that perceived betrayal in 2018. Cruz would carry the unshakeable smell of the guy who lost to Hillary Clinton, and he'd be just another untrustworthy, say-anything Washington politician. The "Lyin' Ted" sobriquet would surely be revived by a "consistent conservative" primary challenger, and there's a decent chance he would fall to the same forces he unleashed when he upset David Dewhurst, then the lieutenant governor, in 2012.

Cruz has decisions to make about what kind of senator he wants to be, and how he wants to shape his image after he survived to be the last conservative standing against Trump. If Trump loses, Cruz's stock rises as Republicans play the inevitable what-if game. (You don't think some Democrats are still wondering about Bill Bradley in 2000, or Howard Dean in '04?)

But if Cruz had won the nomination, he wouldn't have those options. Cruz is reputedly as smart as he is unlikeable, so perhaps he understands that by losing, he actually won.
http://theweek.com/articles/624535/how-getting-stomped-by-donald-trump-saved-ted-cruzs-career
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: How getting stomped by Donald Trump saved Ted Cruz's career
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:38:13 am »

Cruz ain't near as smart, as his groupies think he is. He may be book smart, but he ain't people smart.

Being people smart means thinking and acting, so that people can like you. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:04:57 am »
Not sure I buy this analysis. Cruz is definitely a brilliant man. He was genuine and funny in less structured settings. The unlikeable tag is undeserved and smells of Trump.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:44:14 am »
Cruz ain't near as smart, as his groupies think he is. He may be book smart, but he ain't people smart.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/trump_favorableunfavorable-5493.html

Trump: Favorable/Unfavorable

Poll                   Date         Favorable   Unfavorable   Spread
RCP Average   5/6 - 5/19   35.2            58.0         -22.8

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 11:13:50 am »
Not sure I buy this analysis. Cruz is definitely a brilliant man. He was genuine and funny in less structured settings. The unlikeable tag is undeserved and smells of Trump.

Cruz was unlikeable since high school and has nothing to do with Donald Trump.  Cruz would do well to take voice and speech lessons to eliminate the whiny, preachy quality of his speech patterns.  While doing this, he should learn how to work and play well with others.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:20 am »
Cruz was unlikeable since high school and has nothing to do with Donald Trump.  Cruz would do well to take voice and speech lessons to eliminate the whiny, preachy quality of his speech patterns.  While doing this, he should learn how to work and play well with others.

Like Cruz' voice is worse than Hillary's?  I agree working on his speech would be a good idea.

I have raised a brilliant son and am now helping raise a brilliant grandson.  This likeable in high school stuff is shallow stupid crap.  Imagine how difficult it would be for you if your ordinhary thought processes are so different from those of your classmates that they don't understand what you are saying?  Then your classmates respond in the usual way teenagers do to different by making fun, isolating,  and even bulling?

So as a parent what do you say?  Play dumb?  Act like you think their shallow drivel is awesome.  Suck up the the strutting football players who can barely string a coherent sentence together and are passing school only because they play football.

My son is a talented actor, reasonably good looking and coordinated enough  to play sports.  He faked it - pretending to be an ordinary student and his other activities made him acceptable to his classmates.  He regrets every moment of it.

Hopefully my grandson won't feel the need to play dumb in order to be accepted by his peers. 

What I am trying to say is that social interaction for someone with Cruz' brain power is not easy.  Learning to interact with people with whom you do not have a lot in common is not easy for anyone.   That as a country we should fail to take advantage of his brilliance and his passion for the Constitution says more in the negative about us than it does about Cruz.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:14:06 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:59:01 am »

Agreed. Definitely a Trump meme.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 12:00:35 pm »
Quote from: truth_seeker on Today at 12:38:13 AM

I guess in our shallow, superficial, narcissistic age that definition works for many.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 12:03:31 pm »

I've listened to Cruz quite a bit in both his campaigns for the Senate and the presidential primary.  I'm always riveted by his speeches.  Then again, I actually listen for content.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:10:35 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:09:21 pm »
This whole trashy piece is predicated on one statement, which is not only NOT demonstrably true, but where there exists MORE evidence that the opposite is, in fact, true:

"Barring a (not implausible) meltdown among Democrats or their almost certain nominee, Hillary Clinton, Cruz would have lost in November. "

Given that the RealClearPolitic polls had Cruz faring MUCH better against Hillary than Trump when Cruz was in the race, where is the evidence that he would have lost horribly? There is none - only conjecture.

So, allow me to sum up:

Cruz lost. This is good because The Week *think* Cruz could have never won. Now Cruz gets to go back and be a Senator, but with a higher profile than before.

That's the whole article in three sentences, minus the clever underhanded dig at Cruz's wife, which should tell you where this article is really coming from.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 12:10:25 pm »
I've listen to Cruz quite a bit in both his campaigns for the Senate and the presidential primary.  I'm always riveted by his speeches.  Then again, I actually listen for content.

Exactly. When you actually sit and listen to the man, there's nary a thing he says to which true conservatives can object.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 12:10:46 pm »

Your cut and paste talking points from the Trump campaign are duly noted.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline RedHead

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:17:46 pm »

You mean like Trump?  Or Clinton?

Offline RedHead

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »

You could also say the very same things about Donald Trump.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »
I guess in our shallow, superficial, narcissistic age that definition works for many.

Trust a native Texan to tell it like it is in a few well-chosen words.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »

....so says the person who uses "ain't" repeatedly ...just saying.  Ted Cruz as far as book smarts is off the charts brilliant and his integrity, morality, and congeniality are admirable.  In contrast Trump is a lying, bombastic, uncouth, narcissist who doesn't even know the different parts of speech!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:27 pm »
You could also say the very same things about Donald Trump.

Nah.

Ted does sometimes talk like he's got a stick up his ass. It's one of the infuriating things about him.

Trump never does - he needs his ass clear to pull facts and policies from.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »
Nah.

Ted does sometimes talk like he's got a stick up his ass. It's one of the infuriating things about him.

Trump never does - he needs his ass clear to pull facts and policies from.

I'm not so sure about that.  Trump has a pretty severe cranial occlusion.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 01:54:31 pm »
Exactly. When you actually sit and listen to the man, there's nary a thing he says to which true conservatives can object.

There aren't enough "true conservatives" to elect a President. Hence the need to appeal to a more broad slice of the electorate.

It is not enough to merely preach to the choir. You must bring more members to the choir.. He does not do that.

The fact this needs explaining over and over, is the single fundamental shortcoming of conservatism.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 01:56:28 pm »
There aren't enough "true conservatives" to elect a President. Hence the need to appeal to a more broad slice of the electorate.

It is not enough to merely preach to the choir. You must bring more members to the choir.. He does not do that.

The fact this needs explaining over and over, is the single fundamental shortcoming of conservatism.

That's what they told Reagan.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »

^^^ This!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 02:18:09 pm »
Actually Goldwater is the best illustration of this concept.

Reagan to his credit knew he had to expand the tent, and he talked about it. He broadened his appeal, to democrats and others.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 03:41:17 pm »
Actually Goldwater is the best illustration of this concept.

Reagan to his credit knew he had to expand the tent, and he talked about it. He broadened his appeal, to democrats and others.

Meh. You say Tomayto I say Tomahto.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 05:19:52 pm »
Sociopaths have the likability art down to a science.

Well, many of them do. Clinton is an exception.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 05:42:32 pm »

Last February Cruz was bottom of my list just above Trump on a list of 18 as I indulged in my self defeat.  He was obstinate, arrogant, and deeply fun impaired.
later that month I gave up on my party.

A party I invested 30 years of my life into.

All down the drain for racist populism.