Author Topic: Memorial Day crosses for fallen soldiers removed after single complaint (Update Post 8)  (Read 484 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Memorial Day crosses for fallen soldiers removed after single complaint

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Updated: 8:46 a.m. on Wednesday, May 25, 2016

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/24/memorial-day-crosses-for-fallen-soldiers-removed-a/

A Memorial Day display featuring dozens of white crosses to honor fallen soldiers was removed from public property in Georgia after someone complained.

The 79 handmade crosses in Hiram were meant to represent the 79 Paulding County residents who died in America’s wars, officials told Fox News.

Hours after the crosses were posted, an unnamed resident called the office of City Manager Barry Atkinson and asked whether a Christian display was appropriate.

excerpted
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:30:49 pm by don-o »

Offline mountaineer

This is not my country anymore.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

This is not my country anymore.  **nononono*

Nor mine.

This is hideous.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mirraflake

Every little 'berg is afraid of getting sued-having to fork out money they don't have.  I blame lawyers for much of this crap.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Shameful.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

Every little 'berg is afraid of getting sued-having to fork out money they don't have.  I blame lawyers for much of this crap.

True enough.

The tiny minority who 'complain' are sue-happy freaks and I'm sure the lawyers love and encourage them.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Hours after the crosses were posted, an unnamed resident called the office of City Manager Barry Atkinson and asked whether a Christian display was appropriate.

(If I were mayor): " 'Inappropriate'... really? Tell me, in what way is it 'inappropriate' to honor soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect your freedom to voice your opinion in public?" 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline bob434

wouldn't it be nice IF families of Christian soldiers filed a lawsuit saying that they were offended that our government doesn't have the decency to recognize the majority of people in this country who practice Christianity? Would be nice if the turnout was so overwhelming that they had no choice but to reinstate the crosses out of respect for those who fought and died for htisw country and their families!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Cross memorial for fallen veterans back up after public outcry

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/25/cross-memorial-for-fallen-veterans-back-up-after-public-outcry.html?cmpid=cmty_twitter_fn

The moved sparked public outcry -- particularly on social media -- and, after a city council meeting Tuesday night, the crosses were put back in place Wednesday morning.

"It was never about religion -- it was just to honor them," Hiram Mayor Teresa Philyaw told FoxNews.com Tuesday.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Offline mountaineer

Thanks for the update.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Charlespg

(If I were mayor): " 'Inappropriate'... really? Tell me, in what way is it 'inappropriate' to honor soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect your freedom to voice your opinion in public?"
:amen:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton