Author Topic: VA chief 'deeply' regrets if Disney comment offended vets  (Read 299 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
VA chief 'deeply' regrets if Disney comment offended vets
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:40:36 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/281115-va-chief-deeply-regrets-if-disney-comment-offended-vets

By Jordan Fabian and Jordain Carney - 05/24/16 05:33 PM EDT
Department of Veterans' Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald moved closer to apologizing for comparing wait times at VA clinics to lines at Disney parks, saying Tuesday he "deeply" regrets if it offended veterans.

"If my comments Monday led any veterans to believe that I, or the dedicated workforce I am privileged to lead, don't take that noble mission seriously, I deeply regret that," McDonald said in a statement Tuesday afternoon. "Nothing could be further from the truth."

He added that it "was never my intention to suggest that I don't take our mission of serving veterans very seriously."

After his initial remarks sparked backlash, the secretary further angered lawmakers earlier Tuesday when he refused to apologize for the controversial remark.

During an interview with MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell, McDonald repeatedly defended his efforts to improve conditions at VA hospitals, saying that wait times should not be the sole criteria on which the facilities are judged.

“Look, we get it. Wait times are important. There’s no question wait times are important,” he said. “But there’s more to the veteran experience than just wait times.”

He also said he welcomed the opportunity to "correct" the perceptions of those who "misunderstood" his comment.

That prompted Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) renew his criticism of the secretary's original comments.

"Mr. Secretary: No one misunderstood. What you said was wrong. Period." Ryan tweeted.

The incident is the latest headache for the VA, which is still reeling from a 2014 scandal when officials covered up long waits for veterans seeking healthcare. Several veterans died waiting for medical treatment.

“When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line?" McDonald asked during a breakfast Monday with reporters. "What's important is what's your satisfaction with the experience."

Two Republican senators, David Vitter (R-La.) and Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), have called on McDonnell to resign.  Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) on Monday called the secretary’s remarks “unbelievably tone-deaf and hurtful.” And her Senate opponent Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) said McDonald should be "embarrassed" for his remarks.

But Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) defended McDonald Tuesday, while acknowledging that he could have chosen his words more carefully.

"He is a good man. He's doing his best under very, very difficult circumstances. So, I support Secretary McDonald all the way," Reid told reporters Tuesday when asked whether McDonald should resign.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: VA chief 'deeply' regrets if Disney comment offended vets
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:43:04 pm »
he "deeply" regrets if it offended veterans

Another non-apology....doesn't apologize for saying it...typical Dem
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:01:18 pm »
Sorry you were offended = Sorry I got caught.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:01:27 am »
I will say that Disney World does have a wonderful portion set aside for active duty and veterans. 

That being said, I wouldn't wish it even on anyone.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:08:33 am »
Another non-apology....doesn't apologize for saying it...typical Dem

"I'm sorry you were offended."   
 :LAME:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra