Author Topic: The Bush Never-Trumpers Have Already Trashed Their Conservative Credentials  (Read 4492 times)

HAPPY2BME

http://www.newsmax.com/StephenMoore/hillary-clinton-enablers-right/2016/05/24/id/730393/

by Stephen Moore
Tuesday, 24 May 2016 10:38 AM

Is there anything more laughable than all the former members of the George W. Bush brain trust torching conservatives for getting behind Donald Trump? The stale complaint is that conservatives are tossing overboard their “core principles” when they get behind the fairly elected Republican nominee.

I won’t mention names, but here is the latest offensive rant of one longtime Bush aide who wrote in — where else — that bastion of conservative thought, The Washington Post:

“Now loyalty to party is causing many to abandon their ideals. Conservatism is not misogyny. Conservatism is not nativism and protectionism. Conservatism is not religious bigotry and conspiracy theories. Conservatism is not anti-intellectual and anti-science. For the sake of partisanship — for a mess of pottage — some conservatives are surrendering their identity.”

Wait.

This from the Bushies who shoved down our throats the biggest expansion in Medicare in decades and the No Child Left Behind buildup of the Department of Education, who spent money at twice the pace of Bill Clinton, who wrote Hank Paulson and the Treasury Department a $700 billion check to bail out financial companies, who sent American troops into Afghanistan for the Wilsonian purpose of “nation-building” with no apparent result, and who passed the worst energy bill in American history — a bill that regulates every electrical appliance in your home, from the light bulbs you put in your bedroom to the energy efficiency of your refrigerator.

Trump supporters have to listen to holier-than-thou sermons from these people? Really? This is like being lectured to by Snoop Dog about smut on the radio.

What the Bush never-Trumpers can’t seem to get over is that the rise of Mr. Trump is not just a rejection of President Obama — which it is first and foremost — but a thorough repudiation of the brand of unprincipled “conservatism” that marked the Bush years. Conservatism is supposed to be about improving people’s lives and opportunities. Free markets and limited government. Sorry, the Bush years didn’t turn out so well for the middle class. Wages started stagnating around 2000.

Of course, the unforgivable sin of the Bush administration was the Troubled Asset Relief Program bill that bailed out banks. We unconstitutionally handed out hundreds of billions of dollars to the losers who made egregiously bad financial decisions. This only laid the groundwork for the Obama “stimulus” debacle. At the very time we needed to embrace free-market principles, the Bush team lit a match to them. The Bushies even made crazy justifications such as we have to abandon the free market to save it.

Not only have the Bush folks never apologized for this apostasy, many of them still cling to the ridiculous belief that they did the right thing. Maybe rather than bashing Mr. Trump, these folks might want to just tell conservatives: We’re sorry.

I’ve never been a Bush basher, and I like George W. Bush personally very much. And, sure, Donald Trump is no saint, and he does indeed stray from conservative principles. But he has proposed the biggest tax cut since Ronald Reagan, he wants to repeal Obamacare, he has proposed hundreds of billions in spending cuts, he wants a pro-America energy policy, and he has launched the most successful counterassault against political correctness in American history.

It turns out that conservatives today — the tens of millions who voted for Mr. Trump, are challenging many of the worn-out orthodoxies of the party. No, we don’t want to be the policeman of the world. Yes, we are going to insist that Europe pay the cost of defending itself. No, we don’t think the federal government has done anything to advance educational outcomes in America. No, we don’t want to let terrorists into the country simply because political correctness says we have to.

Is this “anti-intellectual?” No, it is common sense. I’ve been to Trump rallies. There are thousands of veterans who served our country valiantly. They are patriots.

You can disagree with the priorities or even the values of Trump voters. But to call them misogynists, bigots, anti-intellectuals and anti-science? Shameful. What’s next: calling Trump voters fascists? No wonder the grass roots thumb their noses at the Republicans’ intellectual leadership. They’re just returning the favor.

What is worst is that the never-Trumpers are playing into the hands of the Hillary Clinton campaign. The Washington Post will joyously run these kinds of Republican-on-Trump attacks every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The only way the left can retain power is if the GOP is a house divided. The never-Trumpers are Hillary enablers — and if they are so smart, they should get this.

HAPPY2BME

NOTE TO THE NEOCONS:  We aren't going to eat anymore of your $hit $andwiches.

You can eat them until you croak though.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I like Stephen Moore.  Thanks for the article.  He makes a valid point:  The attacks on Trump from Bush people are somewhat ironic.  I may have issues with Trump, but if I had just come from that glass House of Bush I would not be casting stones at Trump.

People like Pat Buchanan at least have the credibility of being consistent, though perhaps wrong as heck.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:23:38 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sinkspur

Yeah, Stephen.  You've revealed yourself to be a Trump butt-boy, a total symp in agreement with an insulting vulgarian who accused Bush of lying about WMDs as a pretext to invade Iraq, who implied Bush could have prevented 9/11, and who has no intention of doing anything but driving up the debt with his ridiculous tax cuts.  In addition, you've always promoted reform of entitlements, but you're apparently willing to put those major drivers of the debt aside in service to your new master.

And, Moore rants about TARP. Well, guess what, Stevie boy?  Trump supported the "unforgivable sin" of TARP.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-debt-creator-and-bailout-backer/article/2581633

Enjoy backing an unstable demagogue.  #NeverTrump means Never Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
After the spew-factory that has been Trump during the Primaries, I can see why there is such a yuuge NeverTrump organization.  I've been warning and warning them about why Reagan coined "the 11th Commandment."  Trump has created a situation where he has to fight like heck to get the votes he should have naturally had.

I suppose this might explain why he's been reaching out to Sanders' people.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

HAPPY2BME

After the spew-factory that has been Trump during the Primaries, I can see why there is such a yuuge NeverTrump organization.  I've been warning and warning them about why Reagan coined "the 11th Commandment."  Trump has created a situation where he has to fight like heck to get the votes he should have naturally had.

I suppose this might explain why he's been reaching out to Sanders' people.

=======================

If Trump hadn't 'fought like hell' you would be looking at Jeb Bush as the GOPe nominee.

Any questions?

Offline jedidah

There's nothing conservative in the kind of life Trump has lived nor in his divisive language and nastiness.  To suggest that those who distance themselves from him are not conservatives is absurd.   

But he is more conservative than Hillary. That's not saying much. It's sort of like choosing between a rattlesnake and a black mamba.

Offline Henry Noel

=======================

If Trump hadn't 'fought like hell' you would be looking at Jeb Bush as the GOPe nominee.

Any questions?

I think I'd have preferred Jeb Bush. We're getting GOPe regardless.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
=======================

Any questions?

Nope.  Bush didn't have 1/10th the chance he thought he did.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I think I'd have preferred Jeb Bush. We're getting GOPe regardless.

No.  We're getting the new and improved GOP!   And about time!   :howlin:

This was a brutal primary season, for certain.  But the 11th Commandment never stood a chance after Trump won the South.  Trump's competitors lost their collective minds and Trump squashed them.  It's that simple.

I watched all this thinking:  Finally, we've got a fighter--fearless, smart and non-pc.  Not even the media could intimidate him.

I've been a little confused why we're not--together--celebrating and applauding what we've always claimed we wanted:  A fighter--fearless, smart and non-pc who would not be intimidated by the MSM.

I know Cruz losing is a big loss for many, and that that wound is still healing.  But, please, allow some light onto that wound and it will heal faster.  Remember and recognize that we've got a candidate able to take on the Clintons, fearlessly.

Offline sinkspur

We have never had a president whose character proved to be more admirable once he was in office than it had appeared during the campaign. What you see on your television screen every day from Donald Trump the candidate is the best that you can expect from Donald Trump the president. “Hillary is even worse” doesn’t cut it.

From Charles' Murray's column  "Why 'Hillary is even worse' doesn't cut it."

Trump is an unstable human being.

America can survive a bad president.  America cannot survive a crazy president.

Oceander

It has nothing to do with sour grapes and "my guy" losing and everything to do with Trump being a bridge too far.  That is why this pablum about "healing" and "uniting" is nothing more than a sick joke from people who chucked their principles to follow a NYC liberal huckster. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This was a brutal primary season, for certain.  But the 11th Commandment never stood a chance after Trump won the South.  Trump's competitors lost their collective minds and Trump squashed them.  It's that simple.

I watched all this thinking:  Finally, we've got a fighter--fearless, smart and non-pc.  Not even the media could intimidate him.

I've been a little confused why we're not--together--celebrating and applauding what we've always claimed we wanted:  A fighter--fearless, smart and non-pc who would not be intimidated by the MSM.

I know Cruz losing is a big loss for many, and that that wound is still healing.  But, please, allow some light onto that wound and it will heal faster.  Remember and recognize that we've got a candidate able to take on the Clintons, fearlessly.

Except that Trump was already attacking Cruz by Iowa...
The Republic is lost.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
We're just watching the Establishment, Trump and the Left attempt to redefine what Conservatism actually is to suit their ends.

Bush was no Conservative and their dynasty has spent their capital attempting to undo and redefine what Reagan established and claim his mantle for themselves.

Laughable considering they spent like Leftists and Bush Jr. even said that he had to essentially abandon Capitalism in order to save it.

I've been a little confused why we're not--together--celebrating and applauding what we've always claimed we wanted: 

Because, worse than the Bushes, Trump IS NO CONSERVATIVE.  THAT is what we wanted.  An actual Conservative that can articulate Conservative principles without apology and educate a people that have forgotten that Conservatism is the way of life that established and maintained our culture and Constitution.

Trump is nothing of the kind.  He's Lil' Benito with a vendetta he public wields against ANYONE who doesn't kiss his ring.

I know Cruz losing is a big loss for many, and that that wound is still healing.  But, please, allow some light onto that wound and it will heal faster.

Now you sound like an Establishment Party Hack shill.  The GOP Establishment and leadership not only created the wound, poured salt in it and kicked us in the gut while laughing and spitting on us - Trump drove a spike through the heart and dumped us in the grave.

So there is no coming back from that.  The GOP can go the way of the Whigs as they deserve, and Trump can pretend he is a Conservative but we know he is just the opposite side of the Uniparty from Hillary.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:31:34 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Except that Trump was already attacking Cruz by Iowa...

Yes.  They started dancing early but picked up the tempo after the Southern swing.  But so what?  The primary contest is winner take all.  Just like the national election.  This is a fight one enters to win.  Period.

Cruz fought his way and Trump fought his.  Trump won.   Primary winner take all is all but certain.  Now one more competitor is left.  And she is about to enter the most unexpected and unpredictable fight of her political life.   :beer:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:46:03 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
No.  We're getting the new and improved GOP!   And about time!   :howlin:
If this is what you call improvement, what will it take to get a party that actually will fix our real problems?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

If this is what you call improvement, what will it take to get a party that actually will fix our real problems?

Well, I may be in the minority here, but I think Trump's GOP will pleasantly surprise you.   :beer:

Oceander

Well, I may be in the minority here, but I think Trump's GOP will pleasantly surprise you.   :beer:

Only if you're a liberal. 

Offline skeeter

Attempt to align Trump critics with the Bushes noted.

And, really, isn't it the Trump Train that has been criticizing conservatives for clinging to their principles, rather than 'all the former members of the George W. Bush brain trust' chiding them for tossing them out?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Well, I may be in the minority here, but I think Trump's GOP will pleasantly surprise you. 

I want nothing to do with it… or him.

I believe in letting the dead bury their own dead.

Dust, sandals thing.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:55:11 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Yes.  They started dancing early but picked up the tempo after the Southern swing.  But so what?  The primary contest is winner take all.  Just like the national election.  This is a fight one enters to win.  Period.

Cruz fought his way and Trump fought his.  Trump won.   Primary winner take all is all but certain.  Now one more competitor is left.  And she is about to enter the unexpected and unpredictable fight of her political life.   :beer:

Except the fight didn't start when Trump's competitors lost the South and 'their collective minds'. Trump was the instigator from the first to the last day. Period.

And when Trump's competitors dished it right back, Trump whined about his nasty opponents and how he wasn't being treated fairly, and still is. Period.

And all the 'Little Marco' and 'Lyin' Ted' and bashing the records of governors like Scott Walker, and all the Nat'l Enquirer tabloid garbage was all Trump from beginning to end, while he tried to make it like it was his opponents doing the dirty deed. Period.

And you can spout the smirky, jerky, boot-clicky flag waving get-in-line jingo all you want, but Trump has more skeletons in the closet and the Clinton Media smear machine is just getting started, and if he doesn't take them seriously they're gonna roll him. Period.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:55:21 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

Trump is a mental midget.  He has no idea how to do anything but insult and give orders.

He cannot unite the party because he doesn't want to do the work to unite it.  It would require humility and Trump cannot put his own ego aside and admit his past mistakes.

If the GOP wants Trump as its leader, then lots of former Republicans (including me) won't belong.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
It has nothing to do with sour grapes and "my guy" losing and everything to do with Trump being a bridge too far.  That is why this pablum about "healing" and "uniting" is nothing more than a sick joke from people who chucked their principles to follow a NYC liberal huckster.

Agree 100%. Each day Trump's behavior and incoherent statements reveal his unchecked narcissism and disorganized mind.

I will never surrender my conservative principles. I weep for our Republic with the unacceptable presumptive nominees of both parties.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
And you can spout the smirky, jerky, boot-clicky flag waving get-in-line jingo all you want, but Trump has more skeletons in the closet and the Clinton Media smear machine is just getting started, and if he doesn't take them seriously they're gonna roll him. Period.

Fauxahontas already on her warpath bashing Trump. 

His reply to her ought to be entertaining.

In fact, I think if you like vulgar fireworks between raving rich elitists vying for the throne and stirring up their True Believer masses to near-violence - grab the popcorn and enjoy the next several months.  I would bet that what transpires in ever-increasing escalation of nastiness and vulgarity will have made Morton Downey Jr. blush in embarrassment.

It will be the only enjoyment Conservatives will get because we recognize that ultimately, there is not much difference between Trump and the Northeastern Liberal Leftists in the upcoming melee.

The fact Trump funded McCauliffe in Virginia just a couple years ago, funded the Clintons and the Northeastern Liberal establishment's various agendas over the years - I watch in amazement at how easily so many in the Mass Movement for Trump are deluded and deceived, the same as the Marxist-Communists are for their champions of social justice.