Author Topic: 2016 NBA Playoffs  (Read 5347 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: 2016 NBA Playoffs
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »
Well let's just say I disagree about the two minutes line which has been around forever. Most games are decided well before that. I can say that because I watch over two hundred NBA games a year. Hundreds of college games as well.
But now I know what you know about pro basketball. :whistle:

Yeah..you're right.  I'll just stick to beisbol.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2016, 05:44:08 pm »
So what sport do you watch, if any?

@goatprairie , I really don't watch sports any more.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2016, 07:50:03 pm »
@goatprairie , I really don't watch sports any more.
Alright by me....whatever floats your boat.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 12:22:22 am »
Well, here we go.

Cleveland really needs this, but it's hard to be optimistic.  Looking OK so far......   :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 02:45:43 am »
THE CURSE IS BROKEN!!!!!!  THANK YOU CAVS!!!!

I am SO PROUD!!!!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Idiot

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 03:01:53 am »
Good game...thoroughly enjoyed it.  Kind of a disappointment that Curry really didn't have such a good game though.

Nice to see the GS crowd act decently after the game was over.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 03:10:33 am »
THE CURSE IS BROKEN!!!!!!  THANK YOU CAVS!!!!

I am SO PROUD!!!!
Congrats from a Bucks fan.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 03:26:25 am »
Congrats from a Bucks fan.

Thanks!  There is no way to express the emotion that we're feeling right now.

I was just 15 years old when the Browns won the Championship, and have been waiting, and cheering, and crying since then.  All these years of ridicule and heartache..... they're OVER.

We don't just have to depend on Ohio State any more.  :laugh:

It's just unbelievable!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2016, 02:24:59 pm »
So proud of this city.

No championships in any major sports for 52 years.  The roads into the city were shut down at about midnight because everyone from the whole region were heading up there for the celebration, the trains were also shut down -- people partying, laughing, crying into the very wee hours because they wanted to, and because it was impossible to get home anyway. 

Not a single arrest.  No violence, no rioting, just huge numbers of people of every ethnicity and background imaginable hugging each other, etc....Just a bunch of boring Midwesterners in flyover country being decent to each other, and celebrating their city and team.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 02:31:04 pm »
So proud of this city.

No championships in any major sports for 52 years.  The roads into the city were shut down at about midnight because everyone from the whole region were heading up there for the celebration, the trains were also shut down -- people partying, laughing, crying into the very wee hours because they wanted to, and because it was impossible to get home anyway. 

Not a single arrest.  No violence, no rioting, just huge numbers of people of every ethnicity and background imaginable hugging each other, etc....Just a bunch of boring Midwesterners in flyover country being decent to each other, and celebrating their city and team.

Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL!

I don't care what anyone else says or thinks, Cleveland is a great city, and I'm proud to have been a Cleveland fan since I was born.  My Dad bought a TV when I was 5 just so we could watch the Browns and the Indians play.  Sports is deep in the soul of so many Cleveland area fans.

I am SO PROUD!!  When LeBron fell down and sobbed last night, you knew how much it meant to him to bring a title to his hometown.

The Cavs comeback was historical, and no one can ever take it away.

Respect the LAND!  :beer:

@Maj. Bill Martin
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:32:15 pm by musiclady »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:37 pm »
Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL!

I don't care what anyone else says or thinks, Cleveland is a great city, and I'm proud to have been a Cleveland fan since I was born.  My Dad bought a TV when I was 5 just so we could watch the Browns and the Indians play.  Sports is deep in the soul of so many Cleveland area fans.

I am SO PROUD!!  When LeBron fell down and sobbed last night, you knew how much it meant to him to bring a title to his hometown.

The Cavs comeback was historical, and no one can ever take it away.

Respect the LAND!  :beer:

@Maj. Bill Martin

My dad was a huge sports fan, but I never got to celebrate a win with him.  That's what it's like for an awful lot of us.  So on Father's Day, to be with my kids, and watching that game with them and my wife....

After the game, we went to the local Dick's sporting goods that was opening just to sell championship merchandise.  Over a thousand people in line, and we were waiting in line until 230 to get them.  Best line I ever waited in!  People still cheering, laughing...all that magnificent catharsis.  It's hard to explain - when you've had to listen to being mocked nationally for decades, to have your football team leave, and still to have the loyalty of hanging with your teams just because they're your teams.  It's that the hanging tough, that waiting through all those disappointments, that finally got rewarded.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:00:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2016, 03:08:56 pm »
My dad was a huge sports fan, but I never got to celebrate a win with him.  That's what it's like for an awful lot of us.  So on Father's Day, to be with my kids, and watching that game with them and my wife....

After the game, we went to the local Dick's sporting goods that was opening just to sell championship merchandise.  Over a thousand people in line, and we were waiting in line until 230 to get them.  Best line I ever waited in!  People still cheering, laughing...all that magnificent catharsis.  It's hard to explain - when you've had to listen to being mocked nationally for decades, to have your football team leave, and still to have the loyalty of hanging with your teams just because they're your teams.  It's that the hanging tough, that waiting through all those disappointments, that finally got rewarded.

It really is hard to explain, but so good to share it with people who DO understand.   My Dad died 14 years ago (he'd be turning 100 this year), and I can't share this joy with him, but I've passed it on to our kids (my husband is a from-birth Browns' fan, but from southern Ohio, so a Reds fan, not Indians), and we were all celebrating last night from afar.  They were all old enough to remember and feel the pain of the Indians' coming SO close to the World Series Championship (what a team we had that year!), and they all remember when Art Modell stabbed us in the heart (and we've never recovered), so the joy of last night is incomparable.

Never thought to go to Dick's sporting goods!  I may check ours out today, but I'll bet Championship gear is gone everywhere.....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2016, 03:28:35 pm »
Dick's wherever you are should be fine.  We're near Cleveland, so that's why all the lines.

Took the day off today (self-employed, so that's easy...) and am heading up to the airport for the welcoming crowd.  Can't wait to see those guys!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2016, 03:37:36 pm »
Dick's wherever you are should be fine.  We're near Cleveland, so that's why all the lines.

Took the day off today (self-employed, so that's easy...) and am heading up to the airport for the welcoming crowd.  Can't wait to see those guys!

I may be the only Cavs fan on this board, but would you mind giving a report from the airport?  I would love to hear an up close and personal report from you.

btw, I'm only an hour from Cleveland (well, an hour and ten from the airport), so there's a big fan base here.  I'm heading right out to check and see if there's anything left.

Have fun!!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2016, 03:42:28 pm »
Yeah..you're right.  I'll just stick to beisbol.    :laugh:

Same here. Baseball is much harder to 'fix'.

Plus baseball hasn't thrown out all tradition (yet).

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:31 pm »
I may be the only Cavs fan on this board, but would you mind giving a report from the airport?  I would love to hear an up close and personal report from you.

btw, I'm only an hour from Cleveland (well, an hour and ten from the airport), so there's a big fan base here.  I'm heading right out to check and see if there's anything left.

Have fun!!

Heh -- couldn't get close.  Apparently there were about 15,000 at the airport, a lot of peoples till walking in, and there were some highway exits still closed off so it was really tough to get there.  There are some videos out there, though.  But one thing that is great is that every gas station, convenience store, business, or just people on the street you don't even know all have these smiles on their faces, and you get into conversations about the Cavs with complete strangers.  Strangers generally are pretty friendly here period, but this was different.  The whole area is on a complete high.

The parade is going to be Wednesday, at 11.  I'm staying with my stepson near the city so that I can bike downtown.   Else, I'd never make it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:10:46 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2016, 09:38:20 pm »
Heh -- couldn't get close.  Apparently there were about 15,000 at the airport, a lot of peoples till walking in, and there were some highway exits still closed off so it was really tough to get there.  There are some videos out there, though.  But one thing that is great is that every gas station, convenience store, business, or just people on the street you don't even know all have these smiles on their faces, and you get into conversations about the Cavs with complete strangers.  Strangers generally are pretty friendly here period, but this was different.  The whole area is on a complete high.
The parade is going to be Wednesday, at

I watched it on TV (ESPN had coverage, Cleveland stations did too).  The crowds were massive!

I guess the players didn't get on the platform and speak....... just did at the top of the steps of the plane, and then mingled with a few fans.

Wednesday's going to be a big, BIG deal.  I heard on Cleveland FOX8 that there may be a million people!

Are you planning to try to get there??  I'm thinking TV is the best option for me.  ^-^

(I DID buy shirts for everyone in the family today, though.  Had to get them on line since our Dick's sold out before I got there, and Penney's said they were getting them in at 3:00 and by the time I got there at 3:03, they only had XL's and 2X's left.  Those ain't gonna work!)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2016, 04:12:14 am »
I watched it on TV (ESPN had coverage, Cleveland stations did too).  The crowds were massive!

I guess the players didn't get on the platform and speak....... just did at the top of the steps of the plane, and then mingled with a few fans.

Wednesday's going to be a big, BIG deal.  I heard on Cleveland FOX8 that there may be a million people!

Are you planning to try to get there??  I'm thinking TV is the best option for me.  ^-^

(I DID buy shirts for everyone in the family today, though.  Had to get them on line since our Dick's sold out before I got there, and Penney's said they were getting them in at 3:00 and by the time I got there at 3:03, they only had XL's and 2X's left.  Those ain't gonna work!)

I'm going.  Probably aren't going to even get close enough to see anything, but I'm going anyway.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Offline musiclady

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2016, 02:35:56 pm »
@musiclady

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/nike-cavaliers-under-armour-sneaker-wars

Oh, my!  That ad made me cry!  Thanks for the link @Maj. Bill Martin !

Have fun Wednesday - even if you don't get close!  You will have been part of history!  :beer:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2016, 04:31:22 pm »
Oh, my!  That ad made me cry!  Thanks for the link @Maj. Bill Martin !

Have fun Wednesday - even if you don't get close!  You will have been part of history!  :beer:

And here's something else....

This is an independent film that premiered in March here in Cleveland, and shown on ESPN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2rB1gmXHR0#action=share

Now, here's the great news:

http://www.eurweb.com/2016/06/espn-re-air-30-30-film-believeland-new-happy-ending/

Anyway, my wife wanted me to go and see it, but I couldn't relive all that stuff -- would just hurt too much -- so I didn't.  She went with my stepson.  But now, on the 30th, we all get to see it with the right ending!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:37:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2016, 04:37:44 pm »
And here's something else....

http://www.eurweb.com/2016/06/espn-re-air-30-30-film-believeland-new-happy-ending/

Anyway, my wife wanted me to go and see it, but I couldn't relive all that stuff -- would just hurt too much -- so I didn't.  She went with my stepson.  But it was supposed to be fantastic -- she said most of the audience was in tears (considering it was shown in Cleveland) and some guys who couldn't take it actually walked out during the movie.  But now, on the 30th, we all get to see it with the right ending!

Our daughter told us about ESPN's 30-30 shows and said they were really good.

I've got that down for the 30th!  Happy, HAPPY ending!

Thanks!!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2016, 05:20:48 pm »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2016, 09:59:09 pm »
Same here. Baseball is much harder to 'fix'.

Plus baseball hasn't thrown out all tradition (yet).
Baseball is much harder to 'fix'.
Yes, because nobody has ever tried to fix the World Series.  :whistle:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2016, 10:01:45 pm »
So proud of this city.

So where is the dividing line for allegiance to Cleveland or Cincinnati teams? Columbus? And who do people from Columbus cheer for?