Author Topic: Freddie Gray Arresting Officer Edward Nero Found Not Guilty On All Charges  (Read 2749 times)

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87

Freddie Gray Arresting Officer Edward Nero Found Not Guilty On All Charges

Freddie Gray arresting officer Edward Nero has been found not guilty on all counts by Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams.

Nero faced charges of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and two counts of misconduct in office.

Nero waived his right to a trial by jury. His bench trial began May 12 and final arguments were heard Thursday.

Gray, a 25-year-old black man from the Sandtown area of Baltimore, died on April 19, 2015 of a spinal cord injury he sustained while in police custody.

His death set off more than a week of protests followed by looting, rioting and arson that prompted a citywide curfew.

Nero is one of six officers charged in relation to Gray’s death, and the second to be tried. Officer William Porter’s trial ended in a hung jury and mistrial in December.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/05/23/freddie-gray-arresting-officer-edward-nero-found-not-guilty-on-all-charges/

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:13:38 pm by ExFreeper »
"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: MSN

URL: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/baltimore-policeman-found-not-guilty-of-three-charges-in-death-of-freddie-gray/ar-BBtm7a9?ocid=ansmsnnews11

BY: JULIET LINDERMAN, Associated Press

BALTIMORE (AP) — A judge is expected Monday to hand down his verdict in the case of a Baltimore police officer charged in the arrest and subsequent death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man.

Officer Edward Nero faces assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment charges. Prosecutors say the 30-year-old unlawfully arrested Gray without probable cause and was negligent when he didn't buckle the prisoner into a seat belt.

Nero opted for a bench trial rather than a jury trial. Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams is expected to announce his verdict Monday. The assault charge carries a maximum of 10 years in prison and the other charges carry five-year maximums.

Gray died April 19, 2015, a week after his neck was broken in the back of a police transport van while he was handcuffed and shackled but left unrestrained by a seat belt.

Officer Edward Nero, one of six Baltimore city police officers charged in connection to the death of Freddie Gray, arriving at a courthouse at the beginning of his trial

His death set off more than a week of protests followed by looting, rioting and arson that prompted a citywide curfew. His name became a rallying cry in the growing national conversation about the treatment of black men by police officers.

Shortly after Gray's death, State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby charged six officers. Three of them are black; Nero and two others are white.

Nero's attorney argues that his client didn't arrest Gray and that it is the police van driver's responsibility to buckle in detainees. The defense argued that the officers who responded that day acted responsibly, and called witnesses to bolster their argument that any reasonable officer in Nero's position would have made the same decisions.

The defense also sought to convince the judge that the department's order requiring that all inmates be strapped in is more suggestion than rule because officers are expected to act with discretion based on the circumstances of each situation.

Nero is the second officer to stand trial. Officer William Porter's manslaughter trial ended with a hung jury.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Great News!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Well, the "esteemed" Mayor of Baltimore better get out in front and make sure folks have a "space to destroy"...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Riot time!!!

We haven't had a riot in a while. I"m on a diet so my habit of making popcorn in anticipation of the riots is endangered! I need something healthier.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Good news, indeed. Shortly to be followed, one expects, by some interesting video from the lovely city of Baltimore.  :eatdrink:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Elijah Cummings actually speaking sanely.

Wingnut

Rawlings-Blake said in a statement. "Now that the criminal case has come to an end, Officer Nero will face an administrative review by the Police Department. We once again ask the citizens to be patient and to allow the entire process to come to a conclusion."

She noted the city is "prepared to respond" to any disturbance in the city. "We will protect our neighborhoods, our businesses and the people of our city," she said.

She doesn't have a clue.

• Technical
Am I the only one who makes popcorn for riots? I put the TV on a cable news channel (Cnn or Fox), put the TV on mute, fire up twitter and police scanner websites on my laptop. Makes for an entertaining evening.

Wingnut

Am I the only one who makes popcorn for riots? I put the TV on a cable news channel (Cnn or Fox), put the TV on mute, fire up twitter and police scanner websites on my laptop. Makes for an entertaining evening.

I did when BLM did their imitation of the movie "Assault on Precinct 13" up in Minneapolis this past Nov..  It was a live web feed and it was hillarious!

geronl

It's almost time for the welfare crowd to wake up now.

Offline andy58-in-nh

"A riot is a terrible thing..."
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Nero was very smart to waive the trial by jury.  He is at least one less victim of the "Black Lives Matter" movement and its political enablers in city administrations around the country. 

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
Has the urban renovation started?
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Has the urban renovation started?

Soon.

Very soon.

Already hearing the rumblings from Obama's army of malcontents.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ArneFufkin

Good news.  It was a wise move to eschew a jury trial.

The pressure on jurors (and the implicit threat to them and their families) in that community to convict would be intense.   

• Technical
I did when BLM did their imitation of the movie "Assault on Precinct 13" up in Minneapolis this past Nov..  It was a live web feed and it was hillarious!

There should be a riot channel. Get the liberal "favored classes" into a blind rage and set them loose in a staged urban stetting. Like a cross between Escape from LA and the Running man.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I do I do!!!  :pop41:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Nero was very smart to waive the trial by jury.  He is at least one less victim of the "Black Lives Matter" movement and its political enablers in city administrations around the country.

I think so too.  Depends on the Judge.  That judge in the Zimmerman case in Florida would have directed the Jury to render a "Guilty" verdict if she could have.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Was that the one at Mall of America?  I saw that one.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sinkspur

Riot time!!!

We haven't had a riot in a while. I"m on a diet so my habit of making popcorn in anticipation of the riots is endangered! I need something healthier.

Unless you're on the Atkins diet, popcorn is one of the healthiest low calorie snacks you can have.  Sans butter, of course.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

Was that the one at Mall of America?  I saw that one.
No. This was at precint 4.  Couple days (same locaton )later some skinheads popped a few caps in 5 amish yutes.  Funny how they wanted the popos help then.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Sad thing is...once the riots from the aquittals subside...the Obama "Justice" Department will move in with Federal cases and convict all of them because the burden of proof is much lower in a Federal case IIRC.

Double Jeopardy flies out the window when it comes to Liberals and "fairness".
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline goatprairie

The wrong people were put on trial. That clown Mosby and all the other swine who tried to railroad those cops with a trumped up charge of first degree murder deserve to be disbarred and then tried themselves.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
So far all is peaceful in Baltimore..fingers crossed
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34