Author Topic: WH Drug Czar: ‘Abuser and Addict’ Terms Stigmatize Drug Users  (Read 405 times)

rangerrebew

WH Drug Czar: ‘Abuser and Addict’ Terms Stigmatize Drug Users

(CNSNews.com) – White House drug czar Michael Botticelli said Thursday that using “terms like abuser and addict” to describe people with drug addictions makes it less likely that they will get treatment.

“Funding isn’t our only barrier to expanding treatment. We also have an enormous hurdle to overcome, and that’s shame and stigma,” Botticelli said.

“Stigma is an obstacle for people reaching out, reaching recovery, and living healthy and productive lives. That’s because stigma breeds prejudice, discrimination. It alienates and isolates people. It prevents them from accessing treatment and even seeking it in the first place. It says you should be ashamed because you have a disease,” he said.

“In fact, research has shown that when we use terms like abuser and addict to describe someone with a substance use disorder, that person is actually less likely to be offered treatment or to receive treatment, and often contributes to negative public policy,” he said, adding “and this stigma extends to other aspects of recovery, including housing and employment opportunities so needed for people to be stable in their recovery. “

The White House marked National Hepatitis Testing Day on Thursday. Botticelli, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, used the occasion to call for “greater focus on implementing and expanding syringe services programs.”

Syringe services programs, also known as needle exchange programs, provide intravenous drug users with sterile needles with which to inject drugs. Opponents of needle exchange programs say such programs enable addicts to continue using.

Congress first banned federal funding of needle exchange programs in 1988, lifted the ban in 2009, and then reinstated it in 2011, the USA Today reported in a Jan. 1, 2016 article. [1] In January, Congress lifted the ban on federal funding of needle exchange programs, but the money cannot be spent on syringes – only on staff and programs.

“Studies have shown time and time again that syringe services programs work. We know that people who inject drugs and don’t use syringe services programs are seven times more likely to contract hepatitis C,” Botticelli said.

“Despite this, many people don’t have access to these important public health programs, and we really appreciate Congress, who previously banned federal funding for syringe services programs, but President Obama signed into law in December a revision of that ban, so funding can be used to support many aspects of these programs, and we thank Congress, and it’s a big step forward,” Botticelli added.

“Plus, we know that syringe service programs are effective in linking people who inject drugs into treatment programs. The evidence is clear: syringe service programs work and will help us reduce the consequences of the opioid epidemic, including the number of new hepatitis and HIV infections,” he said.
Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/white-house-drug-czar-abuser-and-addict-terms-stigmatize-drug-users-make

rangerrebew

Re: WH Drug Czar: ‘Abuser and Addict’ Terms Stigmatize Drug Users
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:57:56 am »
"Words, just words" to quote a close Obama associate. :whistle:

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:03:34 pm »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:55:59 pm »
So we can't use the words "felon" or "convict" anymore because it's unfair to the criminal.

Now they are lecturing us on stigmatizing words relating to drug users?

I'm really at a loss for words on how to describe how utterly stupid this is becoming.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 03:07:37 pm »
Michael Botticelli Is a Drug Czar Who Knows Addiction Firsthand

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/us/michael-botticelli-is-a-drug-czar-who-knows-addiction-firsthand.html

i had to go look up this guy.

Mr. Botticelli said that as the social stigma associated with drug abuse dissuaded people from seeking treatment, the substance-abuse field should take cues from the gay rights movement. He lived that, too — he is gay and married his partner in Massachusetts in 2009.

“I almost found it easier to come out as being a gay man than a person in recovery,” Mr. Botticelli said. “We’re doing an amazing job decreasing the shame and stigma surrounding gay folks. There is a playbook for this.”

This "equivalence" between addicts and gays is as disingenuous as that between blacks and homosexuals.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 03:09:32 pm »
So we can't use the words "felon" or "convict" anymore because it's unfair to the criminal.

Now they are lecturing us on stigmatizing words relating to drug users?

I'm really at a loss for words on how to describe how utterly stupid this is becoming.
!

Gotta keep trying.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:21:13 pm »
Another snip from NYT story - (linked above)

As heartened as Mr. Botticelli was at that story, on the way home he shared a more somber one. Last year, he heard about a Virginia man whose 23-year-old son died in his arms from a heroin overdose. Mr. Botticelli invited the grieving father to lunch in the West Wing, where the father lamented that the death was his responsibility.

“It isn’t your responsibility,” Mr. Botticelli responded. “It’s my responsibility.”

Both of these men need Al-Anon which helps people sort out these feelings of guilt and responsibility.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 03:24:58 pm »
Are they now to be referred to only as "pharmaceutical-involved persons"?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 05:32:08 pm »
!

Gotta keep trying.

There is a saying...and I can't remember it accurately...but it goes something like "If you can control the language you can control the person"

That's what I see going on more and more every day.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 05:42:18 pm »
Step 1
We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable

Step 1 is the first step to freedom. I admit to myself that something is seriously wrong in my life. I have created messes in my life. Perhaps my whole life is a mess, or maybe just important parts are a mess. I admit this and quit trying to play games with myself anymore. I realize that my life has become unmanageable in many ways. It is not under my control anymore. I do things that I later regret doing and tell myself that I will not do them again. But I do. I keep on doing them, in spite of my regrets, my denials, my vows, my cover-ups and my facades. The addiction has become bigger than I am. The first step is to admit the truth of where I am, that I am really powerless over this addiction and that I need help.
- From 12Step.org

Sounds like Mr. Botticelli needs to think a little bit more about Step 1.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra