Author Topic: Eating half the recommended amount of salt per day could increase the risk of heart attacks, scientists warn  (Read 1668 times)

rangerrebew

Eating half the recommended amount of salt per day could increase the risk of heart attacks, scientists warn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/21/eating-half-the-recommended-amount-of-salt-per-day-could-increas/

21 May 2016 • 9:39am

People who cut back their salt intake to half the recommended amount per day may be more at risk of having a heart attack or stroke, scientists have warned.
ADVERTISING

Eating less than three grams of salt a day could lead to serious health problems in the future, according to a new study, which found current health recommendations appear to be confined only to those who have high blood pressure.

The global analysis of more than 130,000 people found that there were more heart attacks, strokes and deaths among those whose intake was lower than the average amount.
"While our data highlights the importance of reducing high salt intake in people with hypertension, it does not support reducing salt intake to low levels"Professor Andrew Mente

Professor Andrew Mente, an epidemiologist at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, described the findings as “extremely important”.

He said: "While our data highlights the importance of reducing high salt intake in people with hypertension, it does not support reducing salt intake to low levels.

"Our findings are important because they show that lowering sodium is best targeted at those with hypertension who also consume high sodium diets."

Food companies across the globe have been under increasing pressure to cut back on salt amid claims it causes high blood pressure, which increases the risk of cardiovascular disease.

The current average intake in the UK is around eight grams per adult per day. The recommended daily limit is six grams.

The latest study, which used data from 49 countries, looked at whether the relationship between salt intake and death, heart disease and strokes differs among people with high and normal blood pressure.

Previous studies have shown low intake is related to increased cardiovascular risk and mortality, even though it is associated with lower blood pressure.

But the new research shows that the risks associated with intake, when eating less than three grams per day, are consistent regardless of a patient's blood pressure.
"An approach that recommends salt in moderation, particularly focused on those with hypertension, appears more in-line with current evidence"Dr Martin O'Donnell

Prof Mente said around 10 per cent of the population in the global study had both high blood pressure and high salt consumption. This suggests the majority of people are eating the right amount.

He added targeted salt reduction in those most susceptible because of hypertension and high salt consumption may be better than reducing intake in most countries, apart from where the average is very high such as parts of central Asia or China.

Prof Mente said: "Low sodium intake reduces blood pressure modestly, compared to average intake, but low sodium intake also has other effects, including adverse elevations of certain hormones which may outweigh any benefits.

"The key question is not whether blood pressure is lower with very low salt intake, instead it is whether it improves health.”

Dr Martin O'Donnell, the paper’s co-author, said: "This study adds to our understanding of the relationship between salt intake and health, and questions the appropriateness of current guidelines that recommend low sodium intake in the entire population.

"An approach that recommends salt in moderation, particularly focused on those with hypertension, appears more in-line with current evidence."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:29:30 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
 :laugh:

Good! We need health nuts to die like the scum they are!

:laugh:

I reminded my life's philosophy: EVERYTHING is bad for you! Everything causes cancer!

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
This is an important issue, to me.

The last bi-annual physical, my BP was up. The standard REDUCE SALT AS TOTALLY AS YOU CAN exhortation was given. I mostly haven't followed it. I was on the water pill to reduce salt in the body. I don't think it did a lot. Ran  out and couldn't find my refill bottle so I decided to go off it and see.

BP was brought down anyway by being more religious about my supplements plus beet juice and celery pureed with beet juice and garlic. I don't think I even got back on my apple cider vinegar very faithfully but the BP was brought down to very normal limits.

So I haven't worried about the  salt. I don't use tons of it but like it on potatoes and some other things.

Anyone else have any interesting experience with this issue?
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Springfield Reformer

This is an important issue, to me.

The last bi-annual physical, my BP was up. The standard REDUCE SALT AS TOTALLY AS YOU CAN exhortation was given. I mostly haven't followed it. I was on the water pill to reduce salt in the body. I don't think it did a lot. Ran  out and couldn't find my refill bottle so I decided to go off it and see.

BP was brought down anyway by being more religious about my supplements plus beet juice and celery pureed with beet juice and garlic. I don't think I even got back on my apple cider vinegar very faithfully but the BP was brought down to very normal limits.

So I haven't worried about the  salt. I don't use tons of it but like it on potatoes and some other things.

Anyone else have any interesting experience with this issue?

Sure, I'll jump in on this. My family has had a history of problems with cardiovascular health. They were all also overweight (edited: the ones with BP problems were overweight). I got worried about my own BP going up about a year and a half ago, my left foot swelling up regularly, and I too was overweight. But I was skeptical of the low salt deal. It hadn't seemed to help anyone in my family.  So I did some internet research, found weight could be a big factor in at least some cases, so I put together a plan. I just stopped eating out for lunch (my daughter started making all my lunches), I dropped off all gratuitous sugar consumption, watched my portions at big meals (backed off a bit on potatoes, rice, noodles, etc.), and I started getting regular workouts on the local gym's treadmill (didn't want to own my own - too much cost in maintenance).

Result? I've lost about 65 pounds, am spending too much money buying pants because the old ones are like clown pants on me now, and I have no trouble with my BP or my formerly swelling foot. I'm over 60, so this is a good trend for me. AND I can race the youngins up the stairs at work and not get winded. AND I can get down on the floor to play with my granddaughter without my 'spare tire' pushing all the air out of my lungs. It's really cool. So simple, too.

Peace,

SR
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:38:21 am by Springfield Reformer »
Winston Churchill: No Peace Till Victory!

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
Sounds wonderful Springfield.

Excellent work on the weight loss. Congrats.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Salt isn't bad for you. The first false claim is that it causes high blood pressure. While it will raise it temporarily, being a mineral your body flushes out the excess. It's actually carbs, and especially junk processed carbs, that cause long term HBP.

Salt is necessary for all the electrochemical reactions that go on in your body. It's also important to use good salt, not the cheap processed Morton stuff. The best is brands like Real Salt and Himilayan salt, as well as certain kinds of sea salt.
The Republic is lost.

Offline uglybiker

I reminded my life's philosophy: EVERYTHING is bad for you! Everything causes cancer!

Eat right

Exercise

Reduce stress

DIE ANYWAY
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There are some people who are sensitive to salt, mostly of African descent.  Most of us are not and flush it out pretty easily. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I take half a Potassium pill at night because I don't eat enough salt.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"scientists warn"

https://youtu.be/sEbSABWJiJc

yes, and some other scientists will publish another paper next week saying the exact opposite.

http://retractionwatch.com

Keep the grubbermint grant money flowing and you'll never run short of dueling academic papers.

In this industry, it's publish or get your snout kicked out of the trough.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:26:15 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Salt isn't bad for you. The first false claim is that it causes high blood pressure. While it will raise it temporarily, being a mineral your body flushes out the excess. It's actually carbs, and especially junk processed carbs, that cause long term HBP.

Salt is necessary for all the electrochemical reactions that go on in your body. It's also important to use good salt, not the cheap processed Morton stuff. The best is brands like Real Salt and Himilayan salt, as well as certain kinds of sea salt.

Salt is not bad for you. Excessive salt is for certain individuals. Always talk to your doctor.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Salt is not bad for you. Excessive salt is for certain individuals. Always talk to your doctor.

Or, pay attention to how it affects you and don't do things that are unhealthy for you.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Or, pay attention to how it affects you and don't do things that are unhealthy for you.
@Weird Tolkienish Figure @Free Vulcan

My doctor is quite the ham. I asked him about my salt intake, I like salt. He told me I could eat all the salt I wanted. He said with my blood pressure it would blow my head off cleaner than a .44 magnum. 
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley