Author Topic: Pope calls on France to respect Muslim women Hijab  (Read 605 times)

rangerrebew

Pope calls on France to respect Muslim women Hijab
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »
AhlulBayt News Agency - ABNA - Shia News
http://en.abna24.comhttp://en.abna24.com/service/europe/archive/2016/05/18/755027/story.html

Pope calls on France to respect Muslim women Hijab

Pope Francis has urged France to respect the right of Muslim women to profess their faith and wear the hijab same as Christians are allowed to wear the cross.

AhlulBayt News Agency - Pope Francis has urged France to respect the right of Muslim women to profess their faith and wear the hijab same as Christians are allowed to wear the cross.

“If a Muslim woman wishes to wear a veil, she must be able to do so. Similarly, if a Catholic wishes to wear a cross,” Francis told the French Catholic newspaper La Croix, The Guardian reported on Tuesday, May 17.

“People must be free to profess their faith at the heart of their own culture not merely at its margins.”

Showing support to secularism, Pope said that states also needed strong laws guaranteeing religious freedom and needed to ensure individuals, including government officials, had a right to conscientious objection.

He also expressed a “modest critique” of France, saying the country’s laws exaggerate “laïcité” – the separation of church and state.

“This arises from a way of considering religions as subcultures rather than as fully fledged cultures in their own right. I fear that this approach, which is understandable as part of the heritage of the Enlightenment, continues to exist,” Francis said.

“France needs to take a step forward on this issue in order to accept that openness to transcendence is a right for everyone,” he added.

France is home to a Muslim community of nearly six million, the largest in Europe.

French Muslims have been complaining of restrictions on performing their religious practices.

In 2004, France banned Muslims from wearing hijab, an obligatory code of dress, in public places and schools.

France also outlawed the wearing of face-veil in public in 2011.

rangerrebew

Re: Pope calls on France to respect Muslim women Hijab
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:04:35 pm »
The next thing you know he'll call on France to allow mooslims to have hand grenades, bazookas, bomb making materials, machine guns and designated buildings to throw gays from. :wtf:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 02:23:55 am »
Old Vatican flag:

New Vatican flag:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 02:27:43 am »
The anti-Catholics are certainly on the prowl tonight. 

Francis is right.  Christians wear crosses, Muslims wear Hijabs.  In the US, there could be no blanket bans of Hijabs.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 02:43:14 am »
Well I see you disagree with evangelicals all the time.  So are you anti-evangelical?  This Pope is very easy to disagree with -- many Catholics disagree with him all the time.

It is strange that he would take on this battle and compare a piece of jewelry with a full covering that hides a person's full identity.  Even that would not be so bad if it were not for the fact that Muslims have a huge terrorism problem.  So the covering allows weapons to be hidden under them while disallowing the ability to identify the individual.   Otherwise I do not care one bit that they wear them.  I find it strange that the Pope feels he must use his status to pressure people who are truly worried about terrorism to just overlook a real threat.  He is a true liberal at heart.

Hijabs are worn by women and Muslim women are not the problem.  It's a meaningless gesture to forbid hijabs as the French have done.  What good has it done them?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 03:29:46 am »
Women have been the problem at times.  They've committed acts of terrorism, too. 

I'm for freedom of religion -- and a whole lot more so than most Muslims.  Faith by definition requires freedom.  On this issue I do think safety is a legitimate concern.  I would not go around shaming people for having the concern, and then misrepresenting the issue as being ONLY about religious freedom.  That's just not factual.  Anyway, I say, let France do what France wants to do.  Those poor people have suffered a lot recently.  Maybe the rest of us should give them some benefit of the doubt as to their motives.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/97860/terrorists-drag-bombs-beneath-burqa-phyllis-chesler
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/nov/17/terrorists-hiding-in-hijabs/
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/635517/Islamic-State-ISIS-SAS-burkas-raid-headquarters-Syria-Raqqa-jihadi-leader
http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2015/04/20/the-girls-of-jihad-and-the-secret-weapon-one-woman-is-using-to-turn-them-back/

Sink, I find it strange that you do not support several freedom of religion issues here in the U.S. yet are all over the issue of hijab wearing in France.  It seems less about religious freedom for you and more about holding the liberal line.  Not to pick a fight.  I am very grateful for some of your positions, like #NeverTrump.  On social issues you and I are miles apart.

What "freedom of religion" issues do I not support?  I'm all for freedom of religion, but not for discrimination.