Author Topic: What's Next for Megyn Kelly?  (Read 1100 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

What's Next for Megyn Kelly?
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:40:07 pm »
New York Mag, 5/20/2016,  Gabriel Sherman

Megyn Kelly’s much-publicized broadcast special with Donald Trump was supposed to launch the Fox News star into the stratosphere of television anchordom. Instead, the widely panned show seems to have achieved the opposite result: It exposed the extent of her limited mainstream appeal. Kelly drew just 4.8 million viewers on Tuesday night, a number television executives say is a disappointment by any measure. Three senior executives I spoke with say an audience of 9 million would have been a success. "Not good for her at all," was how one insider put it.

In the days since, Kelly has been working to contain the fallout. She took aim at critics on her cable show Wednesday night by deploying an age-old Fox News tactic: claiming the backlash was a result of liberal media bias. But behind the scenes, she is said to be worried about the response. “She’s very upset with the show reaction, and in hindsight with how it was produced,” one Fox veteran told me.

The stakes for Kelly are high. As the Times recently reported, she’s in the final year of her contract and has been on a media blitz campaigning for a bigger job at Fox or another network. In recent interviews, she’s said her ambition is to be a combination of Oprah, Charlie Rose, and Barbara Walters. The special was essentially a public interview for her next job. But Kelly's chummy treatment of Trump may have damaged her brand as tough and fair-minded (this being Fox, the bar was pretty low). Worse, she cozied up to Trump at the very moment Rupert Murdoch decided Fox News will support the GOP front-runner. By lobbing softballs — or, as Times TV critic James Poniewozik described her questions, "airballs" — at Trump, Kelly came across like any other GOP cheerleader at the right-wing network.

The question for Kelly and her agents at CAA is where to go from here. Before the special, she had maneuvered herself into a position of significant leverage over her boss Roger Ailes and seemed poised to land either a new deal from Fox with a salary in the $25 million range or a plum job at another network. Industry sources said Ailes couldn’t afford to lose Kelly. Now her advantage looks smaller — a turn of events that surely pleases Ailes. According to one Fox insider, Ailes was heard “snickering” in a meeting yesterday when the topic of Kelly’s special came up in conversation. (Ailes's spokesperson Irena Briganti did not respond to a request for comment.)

For their part, Kelly's team doesn't seem eager to talk about the program. When I called her CAA agent Matt DelPiano to ask him about the special, he hung up.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/05/whats-next-for-megyn-kelly.html#

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: What's Next for Megyn Kelly?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:41:16 pm »
Obscurity?   :smokin:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 06:53:38 pm »
Who gives a crap what's next for a teleprompter reader propagandist?

Even if it has boobs and a manicured face?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:19:32 pm »
Hopefully she goes away. 

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:22:39 pm »

You heard it first from me...I think...if Trump wins she will be his press secretary.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:23:12 pm by BigHomer »
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:49:07 pm »
Fox News made it's bones on objective integrity, the kind missing from the Main Stream Media since Cronkite and Rather first gutted CBS News.  That was Fox News only justification for existence.

Megyn Kelly could have risen to stardom if she'd continued to hammer Trump, even after the "truce", during the exclusive interview.   Focus on the facts, not the identity politics (i.e. feminism).  Trump would have walked out and mocked her (some more).  Ailes and Murdock might have fired her.  However, she would have established herself as a bright, objective journalist (and folks, she IS smart) with integrity.

Unfortunately, she chose to lie with dogs, and now she has the fleas attached to Fox News.

Fox News is simply another progressive media network, and Kelly, it's latest whore (nothing to do with gender; get your mind out of the gutter).  There's no reason for Fox News to exist, or for anyone to listen to Megyn Kelly.  She's toast, unless she leaves Fox and somehow reestablishes her credibility.   Tall order.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:52:16 pm by OldSaltUSN »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 07:54:53 pm »
OF course obscurity.  Just like the rest of the FOXNEWS primetime lineup. Greta, O'Reilly, Kelly, Hannity---all in the tank for Trump.

No quicker way to the bottom than sucking up to Trump. Hell, MSNBC is more even than FOXNEWS anymore.  No wonder Murdoch's network is sinking. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:27 pm »
Obscurity?   :smokin:

That would be alright with me.

I couldn't believe how demeaning she was to all the candidates at the first Pub debate she moderated. Good riddance.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:02:03 pm »
That would be alright with me.

I couldn't believe how demeaning she was to all the candidates at the first Pub debate she moderated. Good riddance.

She wanted to make the debate all about "her", instead of being a fair moderator as she should have been.  Megyn Kelly has been exposed as a rank opportunist, it's my hope that she sinks to the depth of obscurity when her contract ends and she has to go on CNN where she might have half the audience she had on FOX. 

buh bye
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »
She wanted to make the debate all about "her", instead of being a fair moderator as she should have been.  Megyn Kelly has been exposed as a rank opportunist, it's my hope that she sinks to the depth of obscurity when her contract ends and she has to go on CNN where she might have half the audience she had on FOX. 

Immaterial. All 'news' and media outlets in the country are about 'shaping the narrative' and making everything about the person 'presenting' the narrative.

The scripted 'reality TV' shows that mesmerize the populace has now become the everyday. Politics has seized the vehicle used to mesmerize and brainwash the public into crafting what they want the useless eaters and the mob to think.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 09:53:32 pm »

buh bye

I think what made me so mad was I expected more from Fox News. They were such a breath of fresh air and as they've grown they've increasingly become just like the rest. I wouldn't know now. I stopped watching them a month or two ago.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »

buh bye

TOS is strong in you.  They use that a lot when they want a zot. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:00 am »
TOS is strong in you.  They use that a lot when they want a zot.

LOL!  I hope I didn't make you have a bad deja vu! 

I meant bye-bye Megyn - don't let the screen door hit you on the way out. 

Also, I'm a crazy cat lady - I love all things cats!

***cool cat***
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

geronl

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 12:21:32 am »
She is just another puppet "news person"