Author Topic: Donald Trump plans to meet with Bob Corker as VP decision looms  (Read 1607 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Donald Trump plans to meet with Bob Corker as VP decision looms

Robert Costa May 20 at 11:43 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/05/20/donald-trump-plans-to-meet-with-bob-corker-as-v-p-decision-looms/

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), whom many top Republicans consider a contender to be Donald Trump’s running mate, is scheduled to meet Monday with the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, according to two people close to the Trump campaign.

The meeting will take place at Trump Tower in New York, the people said, requesting anonymity in order to speak freely about private conversations.

Corker, 63, who serves as chairman of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has in recent years become a central figure in policy negotiations with the Obama administration, including on the U.S.-Iran nuclear deal. He previously served as mayor of Chattanooga, Tenn.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
Re: Donald Trump plans to meet with Bob Corker as VP decision looms
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:57:52 pm »
http://twitchy.com/jessem-34/2013/06/23/gang-of-eight-supporter-sen-bob-corker-lays-it-on-thick/
June 23, 2013 by Jesse M.

Facing pushback from some conservatives, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., took to Twitter to sell his amendment to the Gang of Eight amnesty bill.

Trump meeting this guy to discuss VP position.  :chairbang:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:58:14 pm by BigHomer »
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 03:57:53 pm »
I never quite understood how Corker's background got him to Foreign Relations chair.

He totally co-opted the Senate treat power with Iran.

We in Tenn primaried Lamar! and Corker knows he's next.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 03:59:54 pm »
I never quite understood how Corker's background got him to Foreign Relations chair.

He totally co-opted the Senate treat power with Iran.

We in Tenn primaried Lamar! and Corker knows he's next.

http://twitchy.com/jessem-34/2013/06/23/gang-of-eight-supporter-sen-bob-corker-lays-it-on-thick/
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »
Bob Corker?  Wow.  He's even worse than the jelly doughnut boy! He is a junior Senator from TN and is rated and "F" by Conservative review.  Trump probably figures his supporters won't care who he picks ... they trust him and support him no matter what!

"On foreign affairs matters, Corker has not exhibited a bold contrast from his Democrat counterpart, showing a reluctance to challenge Obama’s foreign policy in any significant way. He even supported the nomination of Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense. Corker has worked hand-in-glove with Democrats on the committee to dilute U.S. power and sovereignty by spearheading efforts the pass the START and LOST treaties as well as weakening our standing within the IMF. "

On Immigration, he voted in favor of advancing the Gang of 8 Amnesty Bill in 2013 and voted in favor of advancing legislation giving President Obama $2.7 billion more to help process the surge of illegal immigrants in 2014, instead of mandating deportations and holding him accountable for amnesty!

On Healthcare; he voted in favor of a procedural vote that gave Harry Reid the ability to strike Obamacare defund language from a spending bill in 2013 and voted in favor of the negotiated spending and debt deal to end the government shutdown in 2013, which funded Obamacare!

See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/members/bob-corker/#sthash.hSiCxTXa.dpuf
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:07:49 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 04:09:09 pm »
Corker - another reason to NOT vote for Trump!

#NeverTrump
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 04:12:41 pm »
Hmmm.  Not much of a surprise there, but if that is what Trump and gang of verbal thugs want, I hope their happy with it.

#NeverTrump
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 04:16:46 pm »
Hmmm.  Not much of a surprise there, but if that is what Trump and gang of verbal thugs want, I hope their happy with it.

#NeverTrump

There are so many Trump supporters who are so low information that they won't give Corker a second thought if he's the VP choice.  I would love to hear right now what all of his supporters are thinking!  You can't get any more liberal or establishment than Corker ... of course that's exactly who Trump is, a liberal establishment candidate.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 04:20:15 pm »
:boring:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 05:12:57 pm »
Corker, 63, who serves as chairman of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has in recent years become a central figure in policy negotiations with the Obama administration, including on the U.S.-Iran nuclear deal.

This most likely has more to do with Corker's position on the Foreign Relations Committee and the Iran deal than a VP slot.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 05:24:39 pm »
This most likely has more to do with Corker's position on the Foreign Relations Committee and the Iran deal than a VP slot.

Huh?

The "Iran deal" is a resume' enhancer?

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 05:33:03 pm »
Correct. There is nothing from the Trump camp supporting this Compost VP story. Odds are, since Corker is going to Trump at Trump Tower, its about him wanting money for his reelection campaign and for Trump to get information on foreign issues.

Coincidentally: at the same time this did come out from the Trump Movement:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/05/top-trump-advisor-hillarys-platform-start-wars-middle-east-import-refugees-video/

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline RedHead

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 06:40:05 pm »
Anti-union candidates on both spots of the ticket?  Kiss any chance you had of carrying Michigan goodbye.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 06:55:02 pm »
Huh?

The "Iran deal" is a resume' enhancer?

No, of course not.  I think the discussion would be to get into the weeds so Trump can develop the strategy to reverse this "agreement".

Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 06:56:33 pm »
Anti-union candidates on both spots of the ticket?  Kiss any chance you had of carrying Michigan goodbye.
I'm sick and tired of either party catering to union demands as if they are a social elite class.  The parties/candidates should just follow the constitution.  There are places for unions in the workplace and they should stick to that. Stop trying to run the businesses and governments.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 06:58:28 pm »
Bob Corker?  Wow.  He's even worse than the jelly doughnut boy! He is a junior Senator from TN and is rated and "F" by Conservative review.  Trump probably figures his supporters won't care who he picks ... they trust him and support him no matter what!

"On foreign affairs matters, Corker has not exhibited a bold contrast from his Democrat counterpart, showing a reluctance to challenge Obama’s foreign policy in any significant way. He even supported the nomination of Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense. Corker has worked hand-in-glove with Democrats on the committee to dilute U.S. power and sovereignty by spearheading efforts the pass the START and LOST treaties as well as weakening our standing within the IMF. "

On Immigration, he voted in favor of advancing the Gang of 8 Amnesty Bill in 2013 and voted in favor of advancing legislation giving President Obama $2.7 billion more to help process the surge of illegal immigrants in 2014, instead of mandating deportations and holding him accountable for amnesty!

On Healthcare; he voted in favor of a procedural vote that gave Harry Reid the ability to strike Obamacare defund language from a spending bill in 2013 and voted in favor of the negotiated spending and debt deal to end the government shutdown in 2013, which funded Obamacare!

A perfect and predictable match for the demagogue whom said along with his rabid supporters that they do not need Conservatives at all.

No wonder the Establishment is now shilling for him as their king presumptive.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 07:07:51 pm »
No, of course not.  I think the discussion would be to get into the weeds so Trump can develop the strategy to reverse this "agreement".

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Well, if Trump wants pointers on how to best neuter the power of Congress, Corker can  bring his experience to the table.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 07:18:43 pm »
Well, if Trump wants pointers on how to best neuter the power of Congress, Corker can  bring his experience to the table.

LOL.  Tough to argue with.  But my only suggestion (and it's just that) is that the specifics of the deal may be on the agenda for their meeting.   :shrug:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 09:17:39 pm »
A perfect and predictable match for the demagogue whom said along with his rabid supporters that they do not need Conservatives at all.

No wonder the Establishment is now shilling for him as their king presumptive.

No wonder Trump has stated that he needs to be more establishment.  Haven't heard much from the Trump sheeple ... hard to dismiss that Corker is a liberal ... you see Corker actually has a voting record that can be checked whereas Trump just tells his supporters to trust him ... and they for whatever reason actually believe him.   :facepalm2:

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 09:26:06 pm »
No wonder Trump has stated that he needs to be more establishment.  Haven't heard much from the Trump sheeple ... hard to dismiss that Corker is a liberal ... you see Corker actually has a voting record that can be checked whereas Trump just tells his supporters to trust him ... and they for whatever reason actually believe him. 

Why would Trump supporters believe this meeting with Corker is about the VP slot?  Because one article suggests it?  Talk about sheeple. . .  Jeez.

Consider for a moment that this meeting is one of many Trump will have with folks on the Hill.  This could have more to do with Corker's position on the Foreign Relations Committee and the Iran deal than a VP slot.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 09:40:38 pm »
There are so many Trump supporters who are so low information that they won't give Corker a second thought if he's the VP choice.  I would love to hear right now what all of his supporters are thinking!  You can't get any more liberal or establishment than Corker ... of course that's exactly who Trump is, a liberal establishment candidate.
Some of those Trump supporters were slamming Cruz for voting for the Corker amendment.
I suppose they will now be just fine with it now, and this will now be a "brilliant" addition to the Trump team.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 11:01:52 pm »

See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/members/bob-corker/#sthash.hSiCxTXa.dpuf

Rate F.

Gang of Eight!  ****sheep**** ****sheep****
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:26 am »
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/trump-meeting-bob-corker-vice-president/2016/05/20/id/729963/

Trump Meeting With Sen. Bob Corker on Possible VP Slot

Friday, May 20, 2016 06:54 PM
By: Todd Beamon

Donald Trump will meet Monday with Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, whom key Republicans consider a possible running mate for the presumptive nominee.

The pair is scheduled to meet at Trump Tower in New York City, The Washington Post reports, citing sources who asked not to be named.

Corker, 63, is chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He is the former mayor of Chattanooga and was first elected to Congress in 2006.

He has had a key role in many foreign policy issues involving the Obama administration, including the Iran nuclear deal.

Corker has also called for a review of the U.S. visa waiver program in light of the Syrian refugee crisis.

The senator, however, has declined to say whether he was interested in the No. 2 slot on any presidential ticket.

"I just have no reason to believe I'm being considered for that," Corker told reporters earlier this month, the Post reports.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 01:08:11 am »
Trump could go and have his hair cut and some people would speculate that the barber is on the VP short list.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:08:31 am by RedHead »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 01:14:03 am »
Trump/Corker: Liberal/Liberal  Got it.   ****sheep**** ****sheep****

As a reminder: "On foreign affairs matters, Corker has not exhibited a bold contrast from his Democrat counterpart, showing a reluctance to challenge Obama’s foreign policy in any significant way. He even supported the nomination of Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense. Corker has worked hand-in-glove with Democrats on the committee to dilute U.S. power and sovereignty by spearheading efforts the pass the START and LOST treaties as well as weakening our standing within the IMF. "