Author Topic: Obama signs measure striking 'oriental' and 'negro' from federal law  (Read 1051 times)

Offline flowers

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/280751-obama-signs-measure-striking-oriental-and-negro-from-federal

President Obama has signed legislation striking outdated racial terms such as “Oriental” and “Negro” from federal laws.

Obama signed the bill without fanfare on Friday along with six other pieces of legislation, the White House said.

ADVERTISEMENT
The measure sailed through Congress unopposed, a rare example of bipartisan agreement in an election year. It reached the president’s desk after the Senate unanimously approved it on Monday. It passed the House easily in February.

“The term ‘Oriental’ has no place in federal law and at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good,” the author of the bill, Rep. Grace Meng (D-N.Y.), said in a statement Friday.

Two sections in the U.S. Code written in the 1970s governing public health and civil rights attempted to define minority groups by using the outdated terms.

Thanks to the new law, references to the term “Oriental” will be replaced with “Asian American” and the word “Negro” will be changed to “African American.”

Offline Fantom

Me.. I am just an American American.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline DiogenesLamp

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/280751-obama-signs-measure-striking-oriental-and-negro-from-federal

Yes,  *that*  will improve all the problems the nation is currently facing.   

Another meaningless and pointless gesture.   It's like he's a Potemkin President.   All show and no substance. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online mountaineer

I'm waiting for him to strike "niggardly" from every dictionary in America.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
During colonial times, a great many whites came to America as "indentured servants." Blacks came as captured slaves.

In practice the whites were treated more roughly, since they were only tied to their master for a set period of time. Then they went on their own. The blacks were with the master permanently.

Since he would have the blacks long term, he had more incentive to feed and treat them well.

Hardly any know this fact of history, and virtually none would have sympathy for a white man with such conditions. But it is true.

And Native Americans were captured and pressed into slavery alongside blacks. How often do we think of their plight, in the same light as the blacks?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Norm Lenhart

Wingnut

If "niggardly" goes .... a wood "faggot" has to go too.

Offline flowers

Typical leftist. Negro and Oriental predate America. Just another attempt to rewrite history.
Yep....rewriting history at warp speed.  **nononono*

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan

Just in case:

nig·gard·ly  ˈniɡərdlē/
adjective
1. not generous; stingy.  "serving out the rations with a niggardly hand"
      synonyms:   cheap, mean, miserly, parsimonious, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheeseparing, grasping, ungenerous, illiberal; informalstingy, tight, tightfisted "a niggardly person"

adverbarchaic
1. in a stingy or meager manner.

Online mountaineer

Re: Obama signs measure striking 'oriental' and 'negro' from federal law
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 06:54:29 pm »

NOT an Asian-American rug.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 06:12:34 am »
Obama merely signed these bills, "blocks use" isn't really accurate I'd say.

Obama blocks use of terms 'negro,' 'oriental' in federal laws

WASHINGTON, May 21 (UPI) -- President Barack Obama signed legislation blocking the use of the words "negro" and "oriental" in federal laws.

The Commander in Chief signed the bill Friday without much fanfare, The Hill reported. He also signed six other pieces of legislation into law.

The move, sponsored by Rep. Grace Meng, D-N.Y., ran through Congress unopposed in a rare testament of bipartisan cooperation. The new bill will replace the offensive words with "African American" and "Asian American" in federal law books.

Meng's effort was meant to "modernize terms relating to minorities," she said. It was first passed by the House in early December as an amendment to the North American Energy Security and Infrastructure Act. It passed through the House after unanimous vote in late February.

More At: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/05/21/Obama-blocks-use-of-terms-negro-oriental-in-federal-laws/6831463853748/

Per below from the article, Sen. Joni Ernst was a co-sponsor for the Senate version of the bill, these bills passed unanimously.

The bill was sponsored in the Senate by Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., and Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa. The House version was sponsored by Rep. Martha McNally, R-Ariz.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:13:56 am by TomSea »

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 12:21:58 pm »
Obama bans federal use of words 'Negro,' 'Oriental'
'At long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone'
Published: 52 mins ago

President Obama signed a legislatively passed amendment to the Local Public Works and Capital Development and Investment Act of 1976 that bans the federal government from using the words “Negro” and “Oriental” to describe blacks and Asians.

The ‘Stop Hillary’ campaign is on fire! Join the surging response to this theme: ‘Clinton for prosecution, not president’

“Many Americans may not be aware that the word ‘Oriental’ is derogatory,” said Rep. Grace Meng on New York, Breitbart reported. “But it is an insulting term that needed to be removed from the books and I am extremely pleased that my legislation to do that is now the law of the land. The term ‘Oriental’ has no place in federal law and at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good.”

The measure also updates how the federal government describes minorities, and replaces ‘Negro” with African-American and American Indians as Native Americans. The acceptable reference for Oriental is now Asian-American, Breitbart reported.

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND’s Email News Alerts!

Just a few weeks ago, the Library of Congress began its official replacement of “illegal alien” with other less inflammatory references to those in the country illegally.

“Our country is a rich tapestry of cultural backgrounds and Americans of all backgrounds deserve to be treated with dignity and respect,” said Rep. Ed Royce, one of the cosponsors of the bill.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/obama-bans-federal-use-of-words-negro-oriental/#zfwibiPjP4Moqeg7.99

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 12:23:43 pm »
The administration is starting to try and ban lots of words.  The logical next step, of course, will be the banning of books, which should come within six months, I would guess.  Obama still has a lot of destruction to do. :peeonobama:

Bizarre choice for 'Word of the Year'
'Male and female are so passé'
Published: 12 hours ago

President Obama’s recent directive that public schools must allow transgender students to use the opposite bathroom of their physical birth sex is part of a broader discussion about gender in America. Questions about who should go where have become federal civil rights issues. The definitions of gender are expanding on college campuses and in popular culture.

To understand the new notions that go beyond male and female, Full Measure’s Scott Thuman explored the new vocabulary of sex.

58 options

Non-binary. Cisgender. Pangender. The new names associated with gender options are confusing, so Thuman reached out to Mara Quisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality.

“A non-binary person is somebody who just believes that the binary – that is, that there’s just men and women and that men have to be a certain way and women have to be a certain way – that doesn’t work for them,” said Quisling.

Quisling is a transgender woman. “She” was born male and transitioned at age 40.

“For some people, those boxes aren’t real,” Quisling said. “Those boxes can’t constrain them, and they’ve look for new language to explain that.

Quisling estimates that as many as 4 to 5 million Americans identify as something other than the biological sex they were born into – a fraction of the population with an outsized representation in our pop culture. (“I’m the new normal,” says “Caitlyn” Jenner.)

“The Death of Free Speech: How Our Broken National Dialogue Has Killed the Truth and Divided America” examines how the news media has created arbitrary, biased and illogical rules for determining what can and cannot be said in the public arena.

Companies are now coming out with “gender neutral” products such as clothing and perfume. On Facebook, one can select one of 58 genders.

Thuman spoke with college students who have embraced a new language to explain their gender identity. College campuses have been on a gender-bender for some time. Some universities offer guides which teach students how to use pronouns “respectfully,” and counsels students to “always ask what someone’s pronouns are.”

image: http://www.wnd.com/files/2016/05/Sharyl-Attkisson-5-22-16-article-2-1.docx_.jpg
American University's pronoun guide

American University’s pronoun guide

Some students prefer “them/their/they” pronouns, since these words are neither male nor female. In fact, the American Dialect Society chose “they” as the “word of the year” in 2015, to be used by people “rejecting the traditional gender binary of he and she.”

This trend riles critics. Jay Nordlinger, senior editor of the conservative National Review, wrote: “The new pronouns are ugly and soulless, like robot language” and that “today’s obsession with sex, self and identity is terribly damaging.”

“What about ‘zhe’?” Thuman asked Quisling.

“Zhe is a gender-neutral pronoun,” said Quisling, “that was developed over the last couple decades that’s meant to be a substitute for either ‘he’ or she.'”

“So what do you say to those critics who look at what’s happening right now, and they say, ‘This is just political correctness run amuck’ or it’s silly?”

“No,” Quisling replied. “Political correctness is just respecting people, particularly in something that doesn’t matter to you, doesn’t hurt you, doesn’t impact you in any way. Why you would care whether somebody is transgender is sort of beyond me.”

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND’s Email News Alerts!

Although Quisling estimated the number of transgenders at 4 to 5 million Americans, he says the actual number is unknown for a couple of reasons. The federal government doesn’t survey for this as part of their census inquiry, for example. But perhaps the larger reason is there’s a big population of people out there who just aren’t comfortable being open with this information.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/bizarre-choice-for-word-of-the-year/#6aRfJUYjaJJVyyf4.99

quis·ling
ˈkwizliNG/
noun
noun: quisling; plural noun: quislings

a traitor who collaborates with an enemy force occupying their country.
    synonyms:   collaborator, colluder, sympathizer; More
    traitor, turncoat, backstabber, double-crosser, defector, Judas, snake in the grass, fifth columnist
    "the allegations that her ex-husband acted as a quisling were ludicrous"

Her name is perfect for an Obama supporter. :tongue2:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:31:14 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline verga

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
Please tell me this is satire. If not please take a gun and shoot me to put me out of my misery.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

rangerrebew

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 02:14:36 pm »
Please tell me this is satire. If not please take a gun and shoot me to put me out of my misery.

You may have to stab yourself since guns may be illegal soon under Obama dogma. :whistle:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 03:36:10 pm »
http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/obama-bans-federal-use-of-words-negro-oriental/print/

Obama bans federal use of words 'Negro,' 'Oriental'
Posted By Cheryl Chumley On 05/23/2016 @ 7:26 am In Front Page,Politics,U.S.

The White House

President Obama signed a legislatively passed amendment to the Local Public Works and Capital Development and Investment Act of 1976 that bans the federal government from using the words “Negro” and “Oriental” to describe blacks and Asians.

The ‘Stop Hillary’ campaign is on fire! Join the surging response to this theme: ‘Clinton for prosecution, not president’

“Many Americans may not be aware that the word ‘Oriental’ is derogatory,” said Rep. Grace Meng on New York, Breitbart reported. “But it is an insulting term that needed to be removed from the books and I am extremely pleased that my legislation to do that is now the law of the land. The term ‘Oriental’ has no place in federal law and at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good.”

The measure also updates how the federal government describes minorities, and replaces ‘Negro” with African-American and American Indians as Native Americans. The acceptable reference for Oriental is now Asian-American, Breitbart reported.

Just a few weeks ago, the Library of Congress began its official replacement of “illegal alien” with other less inflammatory references to those in the country illegally.

“Our country is a rich tapestry of cultural backgrounds and Americans of all backgrounds deserve to be treated with dignity and respect,” said Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., one of the co-sponsors of the bill.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 05:23:14 pm »
So, what do I call my dining room rug?

The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.