Author Topic: Byron York: Trump reaches out to #NeverTrump  (Read 2940 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Byron York: Trump reaches out to #NeverTrump
« on: May 20, 2016, 06:57:57 pm »

By Byron York (@ByronYork) • 5/20/16 2:08 PM

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2591894?platform=hootsuite

Recently the Trump campaign reached out to National Review, whose "Against Trump" edition galvanized the #NeverTrump movement, seeking input in compiling a list of possible Supreme Court nominees. It was just one example of Trump attempting to mend fences, or at least establish contact, with his most determined detractors as he tries to consolidate support as the Republican presidential nominee.

"I don't know if I'm making news here," National Review's Jonah Goldberg said on Fox News Wednesday. "[Trump] also reached out to 'National Review,' a magazine that's been pretty critical of him, asking for judges."

Goldberg did not offer more details. Rich Lowry, editor of National Review would not say how the magazine responded, and declined to comment at all except to say that Goldberg's statement on Fox was correct.

On Friday morning, one of the most vocal #NeverTrumpers of all, Wisconsin conservative radio host Charlie Sykes, announced that Trump had sent him a handwritten, conciliatory note.

continued

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Byron York: Trump reaches out to #NeverTrump
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:25:52 pm »

By Byron York (@ByronYork) • 5/20/16 2:08 PM

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2591894?platform=hootsuite

Recently the Trump campaign reached out to National Review, whose "Against Trump" edition galvanized the #NeverTrump movement, seeking input in compiling a list of possible Supreme Court nominees. It was just one example of Trump attempting to mend fences, or at least establish contact, with his most determined detractors as he tries to consolidate support as the Republican presidential nominee.

"I don't know if I'm making news here," National Review's Jonah Goldberg said on Fox News Wednesday. "[Trump] also reached out to 'National Review,' a magazine that's been pretty critical of him, asking for judges."

Goldberg did not offer more details. Rich Lowry, editor of National Review would not say how the magazine responded, and declined to comment at all except to say that Goldberg's statement on Fox was correct.

On Friday morning, one of the most vocal #NeverTrumpers of all, Wisconsin conservative radio host Charlie Sykes, announced that Trump had sent him a handwritten, conciliatory note.

continued

That's a good move on Trump's part.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:31:56 pm »

Wonder what color he used to write it?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:33:05 pm »
That's a good move on Trump's part.

Yes, and I think he should continue to do so.
He has time to win over #NeverTrump people.
I count myself among those that are not 100% #NeverTrump, but I haven't been thrilled, that's for sure.
No more Clintons.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:35:10 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:40:54 pm »
Why is it some great breakthrough for Trump to assuage critics by letting a couple conservative organizations offer names of suitable SCOTUS nominees?

It is irrelevant who the Heritage Foundation or National Review consider as satisfactory candidates.   Who does Donald Trump - through his own due diligence guided by his political ideology and agenda - consider as satisfactory candidates?

"Hey minion.  I'm tired of this Supreme Court nonsense.  Throw those losers over at National Review a bone.  Have them send me some names so I can get them off my ass."

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:46:26 pm »
Why is it some great breakthrough for Trump to assuage critics by letting a couple conservative organizations offer names of suitable SCOTUS nominees?

It is irrelevant who the Heritage Foundation or National Review consider as satisfactory candidates.   Who does Donald Trump - through his own due diligence guided by his political ideology and agenda - consider as satisfactory candidates?

"Hey minion.  I'm tired of this Supreme Court nonsense.  Throw those losers over at National Review a bone.  Have them send me some names so I can get them off my ass."

Yeah, yeah...and if he didn't do that - he'd catch hell for that!   **nononono*

I think it's a good idea - you complain that he's a tyrant, and then when he tries to reach out and get dissenting views, he's still a creep? 

Get a broad spectrum of opinions, when you start to see some overlapping - you've got names that can provide unity.  What's wrong with that?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:51:01 pm »
 :silly: :silly:  Gee, not too long ago Trump said he didn't need our votes ... now he's reaching out?  Flip-flopping as usual.  The guy is a mental case.

#NEVERTrump
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:59:09 pm »

I think it's a good idea - you complain that he's a tyrant, and then when he tries to reach out and get dissenting views, he's still a creep? 

Get a broad spectrum of opinions, when you start to see some overlapping - you've got names that can provide unity.  What's wrong with that?

It again demonstrates that Trump and his crew are intellectually lazy and ideologically frivolous.

More importantly, it demonstrates the vanity of the DC elites.   It sure doesn't take much to buy their love.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 08:02:04 pm »
Trump is wasting his time if he thinks he can sway me over to casting a vote for him now.

His rabid supporters online and in the meat world have seen to that.

I won't support mass movement unprincipled and vulgar egomaniacs who are seen as political saviors.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:37:36 pm »

Isn't this what you've been begging for?  Make up your damn mind.   **nononono*

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »
Trump is wasting his time if he thinks he can sway me over to casting a vote for him now.

If I had to guess... I'd say no worries, you're in Trump's rear view mirror.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »
If I had to guess... I'd say no worries, you're in Trump's rear view mirror.

He sure keeps looking back alot  for a Guy not worried whats behind him.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 10:40:48 pm »

Heh..... right.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 11:26:12 pm »

Nah ... Just making sure you're not hurt.   :shrug:

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 11:40:10 pm »
Too little too late.  Tabloid Trump thinks he can slander everyone during the primary yet they should still kiss his ring during the general.  NO WAY!!!  The man is unfit for the Presidency.  He is an abuse of power waiting to happen.

Thanks!!!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 11:43:15 pm »
Mark Levin has mentioned that he has received personal notes from The Don, too.  That's an interesting tactic.  I personally think it is a ruse for suckers.  Trump thinks he can do anything he wants and then charm his way out of it and have everyone fall in line.  If they do, they will be asking for more knives in the back and will have no room to complain about them.   Trump is a conman doing what con men do.

Anybody who, with eyes wide open, embraces Trump now embraces everything he says, everything he does, every insult, every slur, every lie, every act of violence at his rallies.  They can't say "Well, we support this, but we don't support that."

Nope. Sorry.  Once you slobber over the pig, nobody forgets that you love slop.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 11:47:16 pm »
Yes, and I think he should continue to do so.
He has time to win over #NeverTrump people.
I count myself among those that are not 100% #NeverTrump, but I haven't been thrilled, that's for sure.
No more Clintons.

There's nothing words are going to change about his lifetime of liberal support. Thee guy is waffling left and right on his wall and everything else.

At what point should we PRETEND his record should simply be discounted? Because ultimately, to vote for the guy, a person has to discount it wholesale. Once he's in, he's in. And the people that put him there are 100% responsible for his actions. Without them, he would not be there.

If people again "Know Better" and throw away conservatism to 'win' with a liberal, thats their call. And they should be held to it.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 11:49:07 pm »
Anybody who, with eyes wide open, embraces Trump now embraces everything he says, everything he does, every insult, every slur, every lie, every act of violence at his rallies.  They can't say "Well, we support this, but we don't support that."

As I said many times on FR, Levin and Rush and all the rest will do what they always have. Talk 'conservatism' out both sides of their mouths and back the GOP liberal come election day. Thats THEIR history.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 11:55:12 pm »
Reagan wrote personal notes and letters. It used to be common practice among people, to do so.

I imagine for some today, such olde and civil behavior seems downright antiquated, what with rapid informal communications.

I noticed a couple of days ago, a demonstration by Trump, of how his fast moving campaign works in practice.

Earlier in the day he released a list of examples for USSC nominees. That same evening he was interviewed by Sean Hannity.

First thing next morning he was being interviewd by British media, and suggested that muslims tell on other muslims.

He keeps up a pace that has his detractors running out of breath. I am impressed. He has exceeded all expectations.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 11:58:59 pm »
Trump can KMA.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 02:41:44 am »
There's nothing words are going to change about his lifetime of liberal support. Thee guy is waffling left and right on his wall and everything else.

At what point should we PRETEND his record should simply be discounted? Because ultimately, to vote for the guy, a person has to discount it wholesale. Once he's in, he's in. And the people that put him there are 100% responsible for his actions. Without them, he would not be there.

If people again "Know Better" and throw away conservatism to 'win' with a liberal, thats their call. And they should be held to it.

I have no idea how Trump would be as POTUS, but I have pretty good idea how Hillary would be.
I am no Trump fan, and I supported Cruz.
If a 3rd party candidate shines through that could actually beat both of them, I am all for it.
Unfortunately, I don't see that yet. If another one comes along that catches fire, and is closer to my values then the 2 democrats running, I will vote for that person. If not, I will vote for Democrat Trump to stop Democrat Hillary.
I hope it doesn't come to that, but I do not want anymore Clintons in the White House.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 02:48:47 am »
Reagan wrote personal notes and letters. It used to be common practice among people, to do so.

I imagine for some today, such olde and civil behavior seems downright antiquated, what with rapid informal communications.

I noticed a couple of days ago, a demonstration by Trump, of how his fast moving campaign works in practice.

Earlier in the day he released a list of examples for USSC nominees. That same evening he was interviewed by Sean Hannity.

First thing next morning he was being interviewd by British media, and suggested that muslims tell on other muslims.

He keeps up a pace that has his detractors running out of breath. I am impressed. He has exceeded all expectations.

Yeah.  Impressive. He releases SC possibilities, then backtracks on Hannity's show.

Then goes on British media and trashes our closest ally, Britain, in the person of their Prime Minister.

He's exceeded all expectations in gauche prevarication and ignorance.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 02:50:08 am »

You're right....he's still a creep. A conniving creep.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 02:51:54 am »

His rabid supporters online and in the meat world have seen to that.

I won't support mass movement unprincipled and vulgar egomaniacs who are seen as political saviors.
Amen.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 02:56:51 am »

I remember LImbaugh, Hannity, and some other Trump worshipers (rightly) slamming Slick Willy for his sexual peccadiloes. What do they now say about Trump? "well what's wrong with liking the company of beautiful women?" They want it both ways...which makes them huge hypocrites. Of course they can't see it...or they don't care.