Author Topic: The surprising, subtle messages in Trump’s Supreme Court shortlist  (Read 392 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: New York Post

URL: http://nypost.com/2016/05/18/the-surprising-subtle-messages-in-trumps-scotus-shortlist/

BY: Post Editorial Board

Donald Trump’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees sends multiple messages — all smart, and some pretty subtle.

The main point, of course, was to reassure Republicans that he really would name a new justice in the mold of Antonin Scalia — someone who’d resist the temptation to read his or her own policy preferences into the Constitution and the law.

And, indeed, every name on the list has a solid record of “judicial restraint” — as well as sterling legal credentials.

But they’re not quite the usual credentials: Where the current high-court members are all graduates of Harvard or Yale Law School, only one such name is on Trump’s list.

OK: The law schools of Georgetown, Chicago and Michigan aren’t blue-collar, either. But it’s still a slap at the Ivy cartel.

And where most Supreme Court short- lists only feature judges already on the federal bench, five of Trump’s picks are state Supreme Court justices. That’s a strong shout-out to voters sick of the idea that the feds have all the answers.

Finally, three picks show real generosity of spirit: Diane Sykes is the ex-wife of talk-radio jock Charles Sykes, who helped Ted Cruz beat Trump in the Wisconsin primary. Allison Eid worked for Education Secretary Bill Bennett — who’s an idol of the neoconservatives at the core of #NeverTrump. And Don Willett has repeatedly tweaked Trump on Twitter.

Some will whine that this list commits him to nothing. They’re wrong: If a President Trump names a wildly different Scalia successor, he’ll face a revolt — just as George W. Bush did when he tried to put longtime friend Harriet Miers on the Supreme Court.

Mark it as another solid step toward uniting the party against Hillary Clinton.

A-Lert

Thomas Lee, brother of Sen. Mike Lee, of Utah is on the list also.

Offline bob434

[[“I will be looking at that very, very seriously, and at a minimum I will be renegotiating those agreements, at a minimum. And at a maximum I may do something else,” Trump told Reuters. “But those agreements are one-sided agreements and they are bad for the United States.”]]

NO Donald- those agreements aren't 'bad agreements' they are LIES- Man is not causing climate change- period- CO2 in the atmosphere due directly to man is just 0.00136% of the atmosphere- that's it donald- there is no way 0.00136% of our atmosphere is able ot capture enough escaping heat to warm the planet- no way at all- there isn't enough- We don't need a president to 'renegotiate' we need a president to make the world aware that Man is NOT causing climate change because we do NOT produce anywhere near enough CO2 to do so- and to pull us OUT of the paris agreement!

Do he and others like him not realize just how insignificant 0.00136% of the atmosphere is? (for those that want the math the atmosphere has a total of 0.04% CO2 (both man and nature's production of it) of that 0.04% man is only responsible for 3.4% of that total amount- 3.4% of 0.04% = 0.00136%-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
OK: The law schools of Georgetown, Chicago and Michigan aren’t blue-collar, either. But it’s still a slap at the Ivy cartel.

I do like that bit.

Offline bolobaby

Something tells me this list of judges was about as hand-picked by Trump as the professors for Trump-U were hand-picked.

At least he leaned on the Heritage Foundation to help. You know... those establishment conservative hacks, right?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Polly Ticks

I have to confess, I was surprised to see the words "subtle" and "Trump" in the same headline.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra