Author Topic: Ronald Reagan: Trade Realist  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Ronald Reagan: Trade Realist
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 03:45:04 am »
Great post! :beer: Anything that shows similarities between Reagan and Trump makes the neverTrumps squeal like mashed cats.

Lets ask an expert

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/05/trump_is_the_antireagan.html

I have done thousands of articles, speeches, and radio and TV and print interviews on Ronald Reagan. I have personally interviewed hundreds of people who lived with or knew or worked with the man and I’ve spent endless days in the Reagan Library, at the Reagan Ranch, at Reagan’s Eureka College, in his hometown, at the river where he lifeguarded, in nursing homes talking to elderly women who were baptized with Reagan in the summer of 1922, etc., etc., etc. I have read countless letters written by Reagan, and still far more pages of words scribbled by others. It’s quite possible that I’ve read more by or about Ronald Reagan than any living person on the planet. I assure you I’m in the top 10.

This is very much a short list (two paragraphs) of my (embarrassing) amount of life activities dedicated to illuminating the person, life, and mind of Ronald Reagan.

My point in presenting this isn’t to toot my own horn. (Quite the contrary -- all of this Reagan focus makes me seem rather strange, I think.) The point is that this is what I study. I have some credibility on the matter of Ronald Reagan. If someone wants to try to compare Donald Trump to Ronald Reagan, my opinion ought to have at least some degree of informed merit.

So, with that said, let me state unequivocally and undeniably that not only is Donald Trump not the “next Reagan,” but he is the anti-Reagan. Really, I find not only that the two men have preciously little in common, from their policies to their person, but I think there may be no two men more glaringly different. Donald Trump is a polar opposite of Ronald Reagan.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/05/trump_is_the_antireagan.html#ixzz49AEl3sA1
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

A-Lert

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 03:47:41 am »
That'd be fine, if we could actually believe him.

Who do you believe?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 03:52:03 am »
Lets ask an expert

I have done thousands of articles, speeches, and radio and TV and print interviews on Ronald Reagan. I have personally interviewed hundreds of people who lived with or knew or worked with the man and I’ve spent endless days in the Reagan Library, at the Reagan Ranch, at Reagan’s Eureka College, in his hometown, at the river where he lifeguarded, in nursing homes talking to elderly women who were baptized with Reagan in the summer of 1922, etc., etc., etc. I have read countless letters written by Reagan, and still far more pages of words scribbled by others. It’s quite possible that I’ve read more by or about Ronald Reagan than any living person on the planet. I assure you I’m in the top 10.

This is very much a short list (two paragraphs) of my (embarrassing) amount of life activities dedicated to illuminating the person, life, and mind of Ronald Reagan.

My point in presenting this isn’t to toot my own horn. (Quite the contrary -- all of this Reagan focus makes me seem rather strange, I think.) The point is that this is what I study. I have some credibility on the matter of Ronald Reagan. If someone wants to try to compare Donald Trump to Ronald Reagan, my opinion ought to have at least some degree of informed merit.

So, with that said, let me state unequivocally and undeniably that not only is Donald Trump not the “next Reagan,” but he is the anti-Reagan. Really, I find not only that the two men have preciously little in common, from their policies to their person, but I think there may be no two men more glaringly different. Donald Trump is a polar opposite of Ronald Reagan.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/05/trump_is_the_antireagan.html#ixzz49AEl3sA1
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

He doesn't count. He knew Reagan. Trump knows Reagan better because he voted for Carter in 1980....

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 03:52:10 am »
Yes, Reagan advocated a North American Accord, and Mexicans no longer being thought of as foreigners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAtYMD-H2UY&t=17m0s

Jump to 17:00 if the video doesn't start there.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

A-Lert

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 03:53:45 am »
Lets ask an expert

Paul was like 14 years old when Reagan was POTUS.  Nobody is equating Reagan and Trump. To say there are no similarities AT ALL in there  policies is BS.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 03:55:33 am »
He doesn't count. He knew Reagan. Trump knows Reagan better because he voted for Carter in 1980....
Thats always the case with Trump supporters isn't it? People with actual knowledge are Alynskies and the narrative takes precedence over truth.

And they are PROUD of their open deceptions.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 03:57:37 am »
Oh noes. The Trump supporters got shown their comparison of Trump to Reagan is a fraud. Now they had to run to their super secret club house to fire up the echo chamber of disinformation....

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,207697.msg889031.html#msg889031

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 03:58:07 am »
Paul was like 14 years old when Reagan was POTUS.  Nobody is equating Reagan and Trump. To say there are no similarities AT ALL in there  policies is BS.

Of course. One of the leading experts.

Lots of PHD/Doctorate in History profs weren't born for hundreds of years after major historical events. A-Lert 'logic' would then demand they too are unfit to speak on history.

A-Lert

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 06:45:39 am »
Of course. One of the leading experts.

Lots of PHD/Doctorate in History profs weren't born for hundreds of years after major historical events. A-Lert 'logic' would then demand they too are unfit to speak on history.

Has nothing to do with logic. Kengor is just stating his opinions drawn from studying Reagan. Again, I've seen not a single post here stating Trump is exactly like Reagan. Has Kengor stated how long he has studied Trump?

Kengor has done work for the Heritage Foundation which as you should know by now was involved in the selection of potential SCOTUS candidates for Trump.

A-Lert

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 06:47:44 am »
Oh noes. The Trump supporters got shown their comparison of Trump to Reagan is a fraud. Now they had to run to their super secret club house to fire up the echo chamber of disinformation....

Feeling left out, Frank?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:41 am »
Ronald Reagan, credited Conservative, was a populist.  Everything he did with trade was designed and negotiated to put American First--her interests, her industries, her jobs and her citizens.

Just like Donald Trump.

Bullshit.  These pathetic attempts to equate Reagan and Trump just highlight that the people attempting to do it...know nothing about Reagan and are desperate to provide cover for the fact that Trump is a Liberal.

It's as lame as when Obama tries to compare himself to Reagan.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:20:25 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 07:22:45 am »
So was Reagan like Trump when Donald was on Capitol Hill bashing the Reagan tax cuts and comparing what Reagan did to the U.S.S.R?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2016, 07:33:14 am »
In terms of personal character and ideological seriousness, Trump and Reagan could not be more different. Reagan was one of the most dignified politicians of the 20th century, one who turned his cheek to vicious attacks, refused to use profanity and rarely showed an angry side.

Meanwhile, Trump's crude and vengeful streaks virtually define the man.

Reagan's ideological principles were derived from decades of reading, speaking and debating. Trump, meanwhile, is winging it.

"I don't think he has an ideology," Pat Buchanan told the Washington Post. "He very much is responding to the realities that he has encountered and his natural reactions to them. It's not some intellectual construct."

Here lies both the irony and farce of the cult-like effort to anoint Trump as the second coming of Reagan. The one meaningful similarity between the two men is that they can both be seen as authentic responses to their times.

The difference? Reagan was the right response.

http://www.newsmax.com/JonahGoldberg/Reagan/2016/03/25/id/720902/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 07:35:06 am »

Echo chamber for the hive mentality to prosper.   ****sheep****

A-Lert

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2016, 07:40:10 am »

Reagan voted for FDR 4 times. So what?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2016, 08:52:11 am »
Reagan voted for FDR 4 times. So what?

Having been twice (now three times) reminded that Reagan wholly disavowed his Democrat years, it is intentionally deceptive of you to continue leaving that very relevant fact of history off your posts.

So readers can once again logically conclude by the facts in evidence that your intent is to use Reagan as a mere propaganda tool to advance your candidate, again deceptively and from the left, and have exactly zero intention to engage in factual discussion or in providing a historically accurate representation of a conservative president. Because if you were interested in providing a historically accurate representation of Reagan, you would not continue as you are.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2016, 08:57:38 am »
No.  You are wrong and just spamming the thread.  Get your facts straight and maybe then you'll understand that Donald Trump is following in Reagan's footprints when it comes to negotiating on behalf of America, her interests, jobs and workers.

Until you do some research, I hope you'll stand down so informed posters can have an intelligent conversation.  We've got an election to win and a nation to save.  Educate yourself and become a part of the solution or continue to post gibberish and remain a part of the problem.

The choice is yours.

goopo
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2016, 08:59:28 am »
Has nothing to do with logic. Kengor is just stating his opinions drawn from studying Reagan. Again, I've seen not a single post here stating Trump is exactly like Reagan. Has Kengor stated how long he has studied Trump?

Kengor has done work for the Heritage Foundation which as you should know by now was involved in the selection of potential SCOTUS candidates for Trump.

None of which negates the fact of being one of the world's leading historical chroniclers of Reagan.

So should people believe this person or a devoted Trump propagandist that continues to split hairs to the microscopic level, avoid factual and historical information and seems wholly unable to provide any logical rebuttal to the myrad of people on this site countering their falsifications. dismissals and outright magical thinking?

The truth? You backed the wrong horse and are too prideful to admit it.

A-Lert

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2016, 11:30:33 am »
None of which negates the fact of being one of the world's leading historical chroniclers of Reagan.

So should people believe this person or a devoted Trump propagandist that continues to split hairs to the microscopic level, avoid factual and historical information and seems wholly unable to provide any logical rebuttal to the myrad of people on this site countering their falsifications. dismissals and outright magical thinking?

The truth? You backed the wrong horse and are too prideful to admit it.

People can believe what they want. But you can't change facts. Evidently you backed the wrong horse and backing a loser has made you quite irritable.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2016, 11:36:55 am »
My understanding is Reagan enacted a few targeted tariffs here and there to save some high profile companies.

Trump is basing his entire economic platform off of a protectionist wall. THis is a huge difference. First off this will wreck havoc on the world economy, but of course my guess is that Trump supporters don't care about this, even though they will be indirectly affected as we all will.

But second, tariffs will just hurt workers here, who benefit from cheaper imports. And IMO once the tariffs don't work, will send Trump into Marduro-mode where he keep blaming this group or that group for economic problems, cause by his own actions. And Trump's supporters will follow him right over the edge.

A-Lert

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2016, 11:38:11 am »
have exactly zero intention to engage in factual discussion

How about this ? " Trump knows Reagan better because he voted for Carter in 1980...."

A-Lert

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2016, 11:57:30 am »
My understanding is Reagan enacted a few targeted tariffs here and there to save some high profile companies.

Trump is basing his entire economic platform off of a protectionist wall. THis is a huge difference. First off this will wreck havoc on the world economy, but of course my guess is that Trump supporters don't care about this, even though they will be indirectly affected as we all will.

But second, tariffs will just hurt workers here, who benefit from cheaper imports. And IMO once the tariffs don't work, will send Trump into Marduro-mode where he keep blaming this group or that group for economic problems, cause by his own actions. And Trump's supporters will follow him right over the edge.

http://moneymorning.com/2015/08/31/the-5-part-donald-trump-economic-plan-unveiled/

The 5-Part Donald Trump Economic Plan Unveiled

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2016, 04:42:17 pm »
TTTT

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »
Great post! :beer: Anything that shows similarities between Reagan and Trump makes the neverTrumps squeal like mashed cats.

Actually those are facts, sorry you are too tone deaf to hear them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2016, 04:54:16 pm »
Feeling left out, Frank?

Of the Trump Establishment Country Club? I doubt Cannon's going to cry tears over that.
The Republic is lost.