Author Topic: Killer Nile crocodiles in Florida? Experts say it's possible  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Terry Spencer
AP
May 19, 2016

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Step aside, Burmese python — you may no longer be Florida's scariest invasive species. Researchers have confirmed that three Nile crocodiles were captured near Miami, and they say it's possible more of the man-eating reptiles are still out there, although no one can say for sure.

The big question now: How did they get to Florida?

"They didn't swim from Africa," University of Florida herpetologist Kenneth Krysko said. "But we really don't know how they got into the wild."
More

Nile crocodile

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Killer Nile crocodiles in Florida? Experts say it's possible
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:27:18 am »
No doubt they got there the same way the Burmese Pythons and Anacondas did.  Someone illegally imported them and turned 'em loose once the realized how big it got and just what it takes to feed one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2qAj4hitg

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:40:05 am »
Ran across Croc's in Thailand and Gator's in Louisiana while out frogging. Gator's never bothered me much but the Croc's scared the shite out of me...

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:29:12 pm »
Ran across Croc's in Thailand and Gator's in Louisiana while out frogging. Gator's never bothered me much but the Croc's scared the shite out of me...

There are lots of gator trails in Florida. 10 foot gators will be sun bathing as you walk by within 3 feet of them. They don't see humans as predators or prey so they don't really have an issue with it. I wouldn't come within 30 yards of a crocodile though.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:05:03 pm »
maybe they'll eat the wild pigs that are a problem down there?

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:20:21 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqH2RKEmxY

Gator creates stir on Fernandina Beach

By Kumasi Aaron - Reporter/The Morning Show anchor

FERNANDINA BEACH, Fla. - Beachgoers stared in fascination and shot photos and video as a man fishing on Fernandina Beach on Sunday reeled in an alligator.

Jimmy Vining came out to see what was causing a fuss on the beach and recorded video of the reptile takedown.

"That's the ocean! He's not supposed to be here," Vining said. "Yeah, it was wild."

Trappers contracted by Florida Fish and Wildlife worked for hours to capture the reptile as people watched.

Game officials said it's not totally unheard of for alligators to show up on a beach, as they sometimes get trapped in areas where salt water and fresh water mix and then get washed into the ocean.

An FWC officer said they can usually make their way back to their preferred habitat. But in this case, the gator didn’t.

Vining was just one of many shocked onlookers to see an alligator at the beach.

"It was nuts! I mean people were grabbing their dogs and carrying them in for fear the gator was going to come out," Vining said. "That gator was so tired, he couldn't have eaten a piece of chicken."

Michelle Cholewa said she and her family weren’t concerned.

"It's frightening for people, but I think that it's common, so that I don't think it's much to worry about," Cholewa said.

In the end, the gator was taken away by the FWC. Wildlife officials said that in most instances, alligators captured are processed for their meat and hides.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/pets/animals/fisherman-reels-in-alligator-on-fernandina-beach

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:08:41 pm »
I'm scared of a lot less than that.  I do enjoy watching Swamp People, though.  It's crazy.  I wonder what they will do if they come across a croc.

I would imagine, knowing Cajuns... a new recipe.  ^-^

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 08:18:15 pm »

File' crookydylle

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 09:03:54 pm »
File' crookydylle

LOL!

Funny that you mentioned 'froggin' - Funny this old mountain boy knows what that is too - Been done that with my kin down in MS, KS, and MO... Giggin' or shooting, that's a bunch of fun. Though gigging, I'd say, is the true art - Especially when more than half-drunk sitting in the back of a pickup in the hot sun all day cruising canals and riverbanks...

Folks hereabouts can't imagine a frog leg as long as your forearm... that's some good eating.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:16:09 am »
I'm scared of a lot less than that.  I do enjoy watching Swamp People, though.  It's crazy.  I wonder what they will do if they come across a croc.

Gators mostly won't bother you unless your splashing at waters edge.   Been diving in a spring with. 9 ft gator about 50ft away.  All he did was watch.

Crocs are just mean.  There is a croc native to florida.  I wonder if these were really that species.  Much smaller and less agressive.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 01:48:35 am »

Oh yeah!!  You got you some gatah, cuts it up an put it inna pan wit some sauteed un-yawn an' a li'l bit o' cayenne an' it be  a wonderment, I ga-rawn-tee!!

nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 02:22:14 am »
Oh yeah!!  You got you some gatah, cuts it up an put it inna pan wit some sauteed un-yawn an' a li'l bit o' cayenne an' it be  a wonderment, I ga-rawn-tee!!

I've learned to be happy just diggin in... Kinda like Chinese... you don't really want to know what that mystery-meat is... The only difference is that the Cajun will tell you, in every detail... Best to not inquire.  :whistle:

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 06:23:12 am »
LOL!

Funny that you mentioned 'froggin' - Funny this old mountain boy knows what that is too - Been done that with my kin down in MS, KS, and MO... Giggin' or shooting, that's a bunch of fun. Though gigging, I'd say, is the true art - Especially when more than half-drunk sitting in the back of a pickup in the hot sun all day cruising canals and riverbanks...

Folks hereabouts can't imagine a frog leg as long as your forearm... that's some good eating.

Yep. I acquired a taste for frog legs and frogging when I was stationed at Fort Polk, used to go to Toledo Bend and had some friends from Montana who worked around Houma we'd go out around there. When I ended up in Southeast Asia just kept doing it.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 01:11:33 pm »

Have you done much cat fishing....??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWqg6B-taUg

:beer: