Author Topic: Overnight Energy: EPA wants higher ethanol blend mandate  (Read 3906 times)

A-Lert

Re: Overnight Energy: EPA wants higher ethanol blend mandate
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 02:07:17 am »
The only GOP in this group are in heavy corn producing areas, other than the idiot Lindsey.

Not too persuasive

Would you expect representatives of corn producing states to be against ethanol production? I'm a realist.

I don't support ethanol production for alternate fuel, but I'm a realist.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 03:16:17 am »
Would you expect representatives of corn producing states to be against ethanol production? I'm a realist.

You better go read up on who won the Iowa caususes.  He went against ethanol, so yes I can expect real conservatives can win by doing that.

And you are getting tiresome as far as having a real discusiion.

That is what I call realism
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

A-Lert

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 03:28:45 am »
You better go read up on who won the Iowa caususes.  He went against ethanol, so yes I can expect real conservatives can win by doing that.

And you are getting tiresome as far as having a real discusiion.

That is what I call realism

Caucuses as you know are not a reflection of the voters. How many corn farmers do you suppose voted for Cruz? Why do you believe Grassley supports ethanol production? I'm a realist, you're an ideologue living in fantasy land.

Offline thackney

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 01:08:32 pm »
Nope. There are no perfect candidates or humans for that matter. Midwest farmers and politicians, many  conservative Republicans support ethanol programs. I don't. So what do you propose?

I'm not after perfection.  But when candidates seem to take both sides of many issues, the voter should be very wary.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 01:31:24 pm »
I'm not after perfection.  But when candidates seem to take both sides of many issues, the voter should be very wary.

This guy can not be convinced,even with facts showing he is wrong.

You saw a few of these on TOS.

I would waste No more time with him.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:03 am »
Caucuses as you know are not a reflection of the voters. How many corn farmers do you suppose voted for Cruz? Why do you believe Grassley supports ethanol production? I'm a realist, you're an ideologue living in fantasy land.

Many conservatives here in Iowa hate the ethanol mandate. Not ethanol, but the mandate.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:18 am »
http://ethanolproducer.com/articles/12160/37-senators-issue-letter-in-support-of-a-strong-rfs

By Erin Voegele | April 24, 2015

[

A bipartisan group of 37 senators have send a letter to the U.S. EPA urging the agency to reverse course from the 2014 proposed rule and maintain a strong renewable fuel standard (RFS) to drive innovation and growth in America’s economy while helping reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
For starters, I figured at least a minimum of 37% of the senate were idiots, and I believe the case could be made for more. If you think having politicians decide what should be scientific or engineering issues is a good idea, just wait until they are rooting and digging in your health care--OH WAIT, They are!!!

And just how does it reduce our dependency on foreign oil? I could see conversion of coal to synfuels doing that, but not burning a fuel with significantly less BTU yield per unit volume than gasoline, and which takes more fuel to produce than it yields.

By the same token, the EPA has fought tooth and nail against the 80 year old process of hydraulic fracturing even without ANY proof of damage to surface waters or groundwater and while those jerks were on their witch hunt we still managed to put the US producing more oil than Saudi, in less than 10 years. There's plenty more where that came from, we know where it is, and we know how to get it.

No one is saying ban ethanol production, we are saying to do away with the mandate and subsidies and let the market decide.

I'll opt for using real gasoline in vehicles I have going back to 1941, small engines, outboards, chainsaws, and other equipment. The vehicles get 10% better gas mileage on real gasoline than E10, and fuel system components don't corrode away. 

We had a candidate who was so unconcerned about the cronyism in Corn Country that he said he'd do away with that mandate, which put him in the starting blocks and headed the right direction. Instead, hanging your hat on someone 'seeing the light' (MAYBE) doesn't seem like a good action plan.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 06:31:57 am »

You misstate the question.

It isn't a question of whether ethanol will be able to be produced as a fuel, or even just a fuel additive. It is a Question of whether blending ethanol with fuel will be MANDATED.

I am all for letting the market decide. how much ethanol will be produced, how much will be blended, etc. I am sure there are E85 and flexfuel vehicle drivers who would be happy to be what they consider to be 'environmentally conscious' and continue buying ethanol blended products.

But it might afford the folks back in the area I grew up in the opportunity to buy fuel for their outboard motors which would not destroy the fuel systems and potentially leave them stranded in life threatening situations out on the water.

In the meantime, let's put that corn to good use and build back the beef herds and reduce the price of a steak. I remember prime rib and ribeyes selling for what hamburger does now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis