Author Topic: Donald Trump is Already Walking Back His Supreme Court List  (Read 7003 times)

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Re: Donald Trump is Already Walking Back His Supreme Court List
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2016, 04:45:06 pm »
Trump's promises come pre-broken.

Lol!  I'd missed your quips.
Former Republican.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2016, 04:49:32 pm »
Unlike the Lawyer Trump acts to support the Constitution not just talks about it. On the 2nd, on the BLM, on Education, On EPA, on the military, On judges etc.

Never forget Your Lawyer voted to nullify the Bill of Rights with his vote to Renew the Patriot Act and then was pro Amnesty and Pro TPP. Bottom line. #neverTrump neocons do not have any standing to argue the Constitution here with who is on their side of this fight.
Ahhh...your facts are a bit twisted.
First. He may as he stated support the 2nd Amendment, but how? Trump has stated things contrary to the 2nd Amendment several times.
2nd - the BLM, Education, EPA have nothing to do with the Constitution. The Constitution says the Government "provides for the common defense" and nothing else. So Trumps support of the government maintaining control of federal lands is contrary to the constitution.
3rd - Trump had only "suggested" a potential list a SCOTUS nominees. He has refused to be specific on principles with which he would use to select them. He has refused to say whether he is for or against PP or Roe v Wade.
4th - the Patriot Act may impact one or Two Amendments of the Bill of Rights, not all. One can argue that the Bill of Rights are right of American citizens, they are not for foreign terrorists. Trump has not stated in any uncertain terms, how HE stands.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Silver Pines

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2016, 04:52:56 pm »
http://theresurgent.com/donald-trump-is-already-walking-back-his-supreme-court-list/

Donald Trump is Already Walking Back His Supreme Court List

By Erick Erickson  |  May 19, 2016, 09:56am

Every single thing Donald Trump says, everything, comes with an expiration date. Usually that expiration date comes in the next clause of the same sentence. Sometimes it comes at the end of the day.

Yesterday afternoon, Trump released a list of conservatives he intended to put on the Supreme Court. Then his campaign clarified that it was only for Antonin Scalia’s seat. By last night? Trump says he may have someone else in mind.

Trump is the Cinderella candidate. At midnight, all that glitters turns to smashed pumpkins and mice.

Yes, and the expiration date is usually about 24 hours; by then one of his advisors tells him what he should have said.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2016, 05:03:49 pm »
Could we finally be running out of things to gratuitously bash Trump about? 
A candidate who gratuitously bashed every other candidate about looks, clothing etc.? I don't think so.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2016, 05:18:52 pm »

Trump on Kelo: "I happen to agree with it 100 percent"

https://pjmedia.com/blog/trump-on-kelo-i-happen-to-agree-with-it-100-percent

Trump acts to support the Constitution

Supporting Kelo is not supporting the Constitution.  Property rights form the very foundation of the liberty upon which this nation was built.  Yet Donald Trump believes that the power of government should be used to take property away from one individual and give that property to an individual who has more influence over that government.  Not even Bernie Sanders is willing to go that far.

So enough with the BS that Trump supports the Constitution.  It is the last thing on his mind.

I searched the transcripts of 50 of Trump’s campaign speeches. He (almost) never mentions the Constitution, Liberty or Freedom

http://poorrichardsnews.com/i-searched-the-transcripts-of-50-of-trumps-campaign-speeches-he-almost-never-mentions-the-constitution-liberty-or-freedom/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »
Trump acts to support the Constitution

Supporting Kelo is not supporting the Constitution.  Property rights form the very foundation of the liberty upon which this nation was built.  Yet Donald Trump believes that the power of government should be used to take property away from one individual and give that property to an individual who has more influence over that government.  Not even Bernie Sanders is willing to go that far.

So enough with the BS that Trump supports the Constitution.  It is the last thing on his mind.

I searched the transcripts of 50 of Trump’s campaign speeches. He (almost) never mentions the Constitution, Liberty or Freedom

http://poorrichardsnews.com/i-searched-the-transcripts-of-50-of-trumps-campaign-speeches-he-almost-never-mentions-the-constitution-liberty-or-freedom/

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

A-Lert

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2016, 05:24:19 pm »
Another bullsh8t article from a neverTrump disinformationist.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politics/donald-trump-supreme-court-nominees/

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2016, 05:50:17 pm »
It was an impressive list of names, but I will guarantee you none of them were provided by Trump who never gave any of those names a thought, and who had nothing to do with putting the list together.  And if questioned to provide judiciary  accomplishments of any on that list, would come up blank.

The list has Newt’s fingerprints all over it. A phone call probably happened like this.

Newt calling  Trump
Hey Donald, this is newt. I’m faxing over a list of SCOTUS nominees. Release it to the press as soon as you get it, and say it’s from you.  It will break the will of the #NeverTrump movement for sure. 
Who’s on the list?   Never mind that, just go with it for now.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2016, 05:55:08 pm »
It was an impressive list of names, but I will guarantee you none of them were provided by Trump who never gave any of those names a thought, and who had nothing to do with putting the list together.  And if questioned to provide judiciary  accomplishments of any on that list, would come up blank.

In fairness, I'm sure every GOP and Democrat President has had "handlers" who have a list of USSC nominees. I don't want my President necessarily knowing the details of what minor circuit court judges are true ideologues when he can just ask someone else who really knows their stuff. You think Reagan had a list immediately in mind? Probably not.

Of course, I'd like my President to be knowledgeable about conservatism in general which I do not think Trump seems to get.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2016, 06:02:02 pm »
It was an impressive list of names, but I will guarantee you none of them were provided by Trump who never gave any of those names a thought, and who had nothing to do with putting the list together.

A reporter should ask Trump to name three of the judges from that list off the top of his head.

btw, the only thing that could make a Trump ticket even worse would be to add Noot as his VP.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 06:08:46 pm »
Donald Trump is Already Walking Back His Supreme Court List

Comment

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 06:11:23 pm »
I  actually listened to that portion of Hannity's infomercial for Trump. when Trump read off the list, he sounded like he was reading the names for the first time.

Did Hannity also sound like he was reading from The Holy Scriptures?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 06:14:38 pm »
btw, the only thing that could make a Trump ticket even worse would be to add Noot as his VP.

Newt, The Grand PooBah of the "Establishment". Yea that would be a hoot.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 06:15:41 pm »
I want a president who can spell. I mean, it's only 140 characters on Twitter, and they give the red squiggly line to boot. Trump won't have that line when he's managing real world politics.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/733128160603168768

If Trump becomes President, don't be surprised if he delivers his State of the Union addresses in Tweets.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 06:16:48 pm »
It means his team is disjointed.   Some one made the list.  It was released, and now some other advisor is trying to change it.   Internal politics and his campaign can't even manage that.  How the heck is he going to manage real world politics?   He's not... it will be a yuge disaster.....

This. Most definitely this.

Look, tie the three main threads of discussion on this topic today together.

1/ Trump releases a list. A pretty decent list on first reading. The judges chosen are pretty constitutionally conservative, at a quick look.

2/ Trump himself most likely outsourced the making of the list. No bad thing - while he almost certainly knows some judges both professionally and personally, he'd have about as much idea NATIONALLY as anyone here. He relied on his team to do the research and the pre-vetting. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I prefer it. Less crony like.

3/ One of the judges on the list has a history of mocking Trump on twitter. Trump no like mockery of himself, either for ego reasons or simply protection of his brand.

4/ Trump is now looking at the whole list with suspicion because of this.

It doesn't speak well to his team, but not his fault (other than a guy is responsible for what his team puts out. The time to dispute and discuss this was before the list was released).  :shrug:

Edit to add: I bolded "At a quick look" because that's all I've done.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:17:47 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

A-Lert

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 06:19:17 pm »

The list has Newt’s fingerprints all over it. A phone call probably happened like this.

Newt calling  Trump
Hey Donald, this is newt. I’m faxing over a list of SCOTUS nominees. Release it to the press as soon as you get it, and say it’s from you.  It will break the will of the #NeverTrump movement for sure. 
Who’s on the list?   Never mind that, just go with it for now.   

If you cared, you would read for real information.

Trump told Republican House leadership during a meeting on Capitol Hill last week that he would come out with a list, assisted by conservative groups The Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation, of judicial nominations he would make if he had the opportunity to fill a vacancy on the Supreme Court, according to a source familiar with the meeting.
At the time, Trump also said the members present at the meeting should submit names to him and he would put them on the list.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:20:14 pm by A-Lert »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »
Trump's promises come pre-broken.

:amen:

Silver Pines

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 07:26:11 pm »
Did Hannity also sound like he was reading from The Holy Scriptures?

Look at Hannity's twitter...it's TrumpTrumpTrump as far as you can go.  Looks like he's disabled comments, lol.

https://twitter.com/SeanHannity

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 07:40:05 pm »

1/ Trump releases a list. A pretty decent list on first reading. The judges chosen are pretty constitutionally conservative, at a quick look.

2/ Trump himself most likely outsourced the making of the list. No bad thing - while he almost certainly knows some judges both professionally and personally, he'd have about as much idea NATIONALLY as anyone here. He relied on his team to do the research and the pre-vetting. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I prefer it. Less crony like.

3/ One of the judges on the list has a history of mocking Trump on twitter. Trump no like mockery of himself, either for ego reasons or simply protection of his brand.

It doesn't speak well to his team, but not his fault (other than a guy is responsible for what his team puts out. The time to dispute and discuss this was before the list was released).  :shrug:

The most appropriate description of Trump is that he is a Gaullist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaullism

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2016, 07:43:39 pm »
Yes all of them, since the entire walk back meme is based on deception. Using a Thesaurus  one sees that "suggestion" also means ...

Dictionary didn't cut the mustard I see.
Using a Thesaurus  one sees that "suggestion" also means ... Gimmick, tip, etc.

Just
Adverb
Simply; only; no more than

Sug·ges·tion.
NOUN
an idea or plan put forward for consideration.

If Trums words are 'just a suggestion' they are simply, no more than, ideas put forward for consideration.
That's not the same as a plan.

Maybe Trump is trying to attract the women's vote by changing his mind so much. {Ducks flying cast-iron skillet}
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2016, 07:44:59 pm »
The most appropriate description of Trump is that he is a Gaullist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaullism

I find him galling.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »

Like other democrats, when it comes to Trump the buck always stops somewhere else.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2016, 07:59:33 pm »
Ahhh...your facts are a bit twisted.
First. He may as he stated support the 2nd Amendment, but how? Trump has stated things contrary to the 2nd Amendment several times.
2nd - the BLM, Education, EPA have nothing to do with the Constitution. The Constitution says the Government "provides for the common defense" and nothing else. So Trumps support of the government maintaining control of federal lands is contrary to the constitution.
3rd - Trump had only "suggested" a potential list a SCOTUS nominees. He has refused to be specific on principles with which he would use to select them. He has refused to say whether he is for or against PP or Roe v Wade.
4th - the Patriot Act may impact one or Two Amendments of the Bill of Rights, not all. One can argue that the Bill of Rights are right of American citizens, they are not for foreign terrorists. Trump has not stated in any uncertain terms, how HE stands.
1. Trump is very strong on the 2nd and has been for years. What he said decades ago no longer counts since the world changed. Unless you have something recent since ISIS has been slaughtering unarmed victims you have no valid argument here.
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/second-amendment-rights
http://concealednation.org/2015/09/trump-lays-down-thoughts-on-concealed-carry-supports-national-reciprocity/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/anti-gun-control-rally-albany-brings-trump-article-1.1742627
Many more. You only have your minority opinion he is not truthful here.

2. Not only does Trump want to abolish the BLM, DOE, etc  he wants to sell the land back to the states and make education local control.  #nevertrump forgets Trump has fought the BLM EPA etc a lot as a developer and has no love for those agencies. And yes The US Constitution does cover Federal Ownership of some land in more then one place.
http://dennismichaellynch.com/must-see-donald-trumps-position-on-the-blm/
http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Donald_Trump_Education.htm
Many more. You only have your minority opinion he is not truthful here.

3. Only the dishonest and uneducated try to spin the term "suggested" to mean not serious etc. Next time use a Thesaurus on the term. Its the proper term for this stage of a Campaign and is nothing more until and unless he obtains office.   
Nobody honest finds any fault so far with Trump's list of Judges.

4. The patriot act nullifies the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th. 6th. 8th and 10th. On this Trump has been mostly silent except for:
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/04/05/trump-patriot-act-immigrants-to-pay-for-wall. On this hes focused on foreigners not Americans.

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2016, 08:05:35 pm »
Dictionary didn't cut the mustard I see.
Using a Thesaurus  one sees that "suggestion" also means ... Gimmick, tip, etc.

Just
Adverb
Simply; only; no more than

Sug·ges·tion.
NOUN
an idea or plan put forward for consideration.

If Trums words are 'just a suggestion' they are simply, no more than, ideas put forward for consideration.
That's not the same as a plan.

Maybe Trump is trying to attract the women's vote by changing his mind so much. {Ducks flying cast-iron skillet}

NOUN 1. an idea or plan put forward for consideration. <== and what else is it supposed to be unless and until hes elected? You got nothing here but looking uneducated trying to spin this into its not a plan its not serious etc.

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17