Author Topic: Schlafly shrugs off Trump and abortion issue  (Read 1853 times)

HAPPY2BME

Schlafly shrugs off Trump and abortion issue
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:57:34 pm »
http://www.onenewsnow.com/politics-govt/2016/05/16/schlafly-shrugs-off-trump-and-abortion-issue?utm_source=OneNewsNow&utm_medium=email&utm_term=16783958&utm_content=888203562696&utm_campaign=24925

Monday, May 16, 2016
Steve Jordahl

A pair of conservative evangelical leaders seems to be sticking with Donald Trump no matter what.

As Donald Trump moves from the primaries to the General Election, there are already signs he's moving to the center on some issues. Most candidates do.

But he's already further left on the social issues than many evangelicals like.

So how far would he have to go before his supporters in that camp jump ship?

Dallas megachurch pastor Dr. Robert Jeffress says he's confident Trump will hold the line.

"He publicly, before a national television audience, asked me to hold him accountable for the issue of religious liberty," says Jeffress. "And I pledged to do that and I think that is a very, very deeply held value of his."

With regard to abortion, Jeffress says he doesn't expect Trump to "change his core beliefs" on the topic.

"But I also don't believe that those are going to be the most important issues at the forefront of his election," says the pastor. "I think most voters have indicated that these issues are not the most important to them either."

Eagle Forum's Phyllis Schlafly does expect him to move a bit more to the center on key moral issues.

"He'll make some modification in some of the things he's said," she says, "but I don't think it's going to be serious."

In fact, she says social conservatives need to move on.

"First of all, on the abortion issue, the presidential candidate doesn't have anything to do with the platform. So forget that," she advises. "Then the other question about transgender, the problem is nobody knows what to do about that. I don't know what to do about it.

She says she's sticking with Trump because he's going to "sock it to the kingmakers."

HAPPY2BME

Re: Schlafly shrugs off Trump and abortion issue
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:57:47 pm »
There will be only two viable candidates to choose from this fall, only one of whom will safeguard our country against immigration, and Jesus will not be on the ballot.

No Third-Party Candidate

by Phyllis Schlafly

May 11, 2016

Every four years there is political chatter about trying to run a third-party candidate who will supposedly be more conservative than the Republican nominee. The lesson is the same every time this is tried: third-party candidates do not win because the United States is a two-party country.

The grumblings we hear about Donald Trump are mostly because of his strong stand against illegal immigration. Party bosses know that if Trump wins and then shuts down illegal immigration and so-called free trade, it will cost the Democratic Party millions of future votes and cost Republican businessmen lucrative deals for themselves with foreign countries.

Despite how current immigration heavily favors Democrats, many church leaders who usually lean Republican dislike Trump’s strong stance against illegal immigration. They oppose Trump’s plan to build a wall and deport illegal aliens.

They assume that more immigration puts more people in their pews, and most churches have a mission to bring the faith to people of all nations. Trump’s nationalistic tone, to make America great again, is not something likely to be heard from a church pulpit.

Yet rank-and-file churchgoers overwhelmingly support Trump’s views against current levels of immigration and trade. Evangelical voters, in particular, preferred Trump over his rivals in the Republican primaries, and they will surely vote heavily in favor of Trump rather than Hillary in the general election.

Despite the opposition of their members, some church leaders persist in supporting permissive immigration and opposing Trump. In sharp contrast with their congregations, they are more likely to agree with Obama on immigration than with Donald Trump.

Two years ago, officials from several conservative Christian denominations met with President Obama in the Oval Office and gushed their support of his “immigration reform.” Obama’s phony “reform” means legislation that would grant citizenship to illegal aliens and do little to stem the flood of illegal immigrants into our nation.

The immigration issue may be preventing some church leaders from siding with Donald Trump now. While opposition to Trump is expressed in moral terms – even though they had no trouble supporting the divorced Ronald Reagan in 1980 – a real motivation is that church leaders do not want Trump’s criticism of immigration.

The prior Republican nominee for president, Mitt Romney, stridently criticized Donald Trump earlier this year, and still refuses to endorse him. This should not be a surprise, because Romney had harshly criticized Trump’s statements about immigration during the campaign.

Rev. Luis Cortes, as president of an Hispanic Christian network and nonprofit legal organization that helps immigrants, declared after the White House meeting that “the entire religious community” supports an Obama-style immigration reform package. “For the first time … all the major denominations and churches and religious bodies of this country believe that it is a moral imperative that we get immigration reform done,” he asserted.

But churchgoing voters indicated otherwise during the Republican primaries, by nominating Donald Trump. Now is the time for church leaders to listen to their own flock on the important issue of immigration.

The amount of immigration allowed by a nation is a political matter, not a religious one, and this issue has become the elephant in the room impossible to overlook. The stunning election results in Austria two weeks ago demonstrate that those who try to duck or downplay the immigration issue are headed for defeat.

As in the United States, the leaders of both major political parties in Austria ignored the problems caused by immigration. A candidate emerged there named Norbert Hofer, who campaigned on “putting Austria first” despite the media giving him little chance of winning.

On April 24th Austrians voted with a large turnout, and the candidate opposed to permissive immigration won the first round in a stunning double-digit landslide. The two major parties that had echoed failed immigration policies, as Democrats and Republicans here have done, fared so poorly that they failed even to qualify for the upcoming runoff, which the Trump-like Austrian candidate is also expected to win.

Church leaders should recognize that responsibility is just as important as charity. No church would urge people to unlock their doors at night in order to allow anyone in, and we should not persist with open borders to welcome hordes of illegal aliens who include many hardened criminals.

When an unwelcome “neighbor” comes into our home, we “deport” him out of our house, and Trump’s leadership on the immigration issue has earned him the support of millions of Democrats and Republicans alike. Loving our neighbor does not mean unlocking our doors to any and all comers.

There will not be a third-party candidate who is as good as Trump on immigration. There will be only two viable candidates to choose from this fall, only one of whom will safeguard our country against immigration, and Jesus will not be on the ballot.

http://www.eagleforum.org/publications/column/no-third-party-candidate.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:59:27 pm by HAPPY2BME »

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:14 pm »
She's deluding herself.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:10:34 pm »
The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them strong delusion so that they believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness. - II Thessalonians 2:9-12
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:22:23 pm »
The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them strong delusion so that they believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness. - II Thessalonians 2:9-12

Pretty easy to see why her board tried overriding her a while back. She abandoned principle. Maybe it's senility, maybe she just wants a win before she dies. Whatever the case she sold out.

Offline chae

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 07:44:17 pm »
Does she realize that when she goes before God for judgement, that the Messiah is not, in fact, Donald Trump?

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 08:05:55 pm »
"First of all, on the abortion issue, the presidential candidate doesn't have anything to do with the platform. So forget that," she advises. "Then the other question about transgender, the problem is nobody knows what to do about that. I don't know what to do about it. She says she's sticking with Trump because he's going to "sock it to the kingmakers."

This old, wretched hag has lost her way. No wonder the  board tried to wrest control from her. Here we see the thinking of the GOPe as expressed by Trump supporters. In order to justify a Trump candidacy they have to put out a meme that says, "I don't know what is conservative or what it means to be a conservative anymore." Hence her declaration that she doesn't know what to do about pervs in the bathroom. It's feigning confusion to be used as cover for Trump and his supporters to abandon conservative principles.

Then there is this very insidious position that the President can't do anything about abortion. That's a new one in the supposedly conservative ranks. When have conservatives ever abandoned a third of the federal government on this issue? How about never. Until Trump arrived.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:16 pm »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 08:19:57 pm »
She is making a fool of herself and revealing that, if not all along, she is now an unprincipled person just out for revenge.  She has chosen a man at least as bad as those "king makers" she hates.

I could never stand Schlafly.  I detested here when I was young and have less patience and tolerance for her now that I am in my sixties.  Some conservative!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:57 pm »
Eagle Forum's Phyllis Schlafly does expect him to move a bit more to the center on key moral issues.

"He'll make some modification in some of the things he's said," she says, "but I don't think it's going to be serious."

Very good then. You just explained that there is no need for you anymore Phyllis. We are not going to bother with social issues because they are all decided against us already.

I guess you can dry up and blow away now. No need to keep your grift going at Conservative think tanks because your all thought out.

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 08:40:00 pm »

Very good then. You just explained that there is no need for you anymore Phyllis. We are not going to bother with social issues because they are all decided against us already. I guess you can dry up and blow away now. No need to keep your grift going at Conservative think tanks because your all thought out.

I despise this horrible woman. Throwing away the unborn for the vote of some unemployed inhabitant of the rust belt.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:40:52 pm by The Jackal »

Silver Pines

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:56 pm »
http://www.onenewsnow.com/politics-govt/2016/05/16/schlafly-shrugs-off-trump-and-abortion-issue?utm_source=OneNewsNow&utm_medium=email&utm_term=16783958&utm_content=888203562696&utm_campaign=24925

Monday, May 16, 2016
Steve Jordahl

A pair of conservative evangelical leaders seems to be sticking with Donald Trump no matter what.

As Donald Trump moves from the primaries to the General Election, there are already signs he's moving to the center on some issues. Most candidates do.

But he's already further left on the social issues than many evangelicals like.

So how far would he have to go before his supporters in that camp jump ship?

Dallas megachurch pastor Dr. Robert Jeffress says he's confident Trump will hold the line.

"He publicly, before a national television audience, asked me to hold him accountable for the issue of religious liberty," says Jeffress. "And I pledged to do that and I think that is a very, very deeply held value of his."

With regard to abortion, Jeffress says he doesn't expect Trump to "change his core beliefs" on the topic.

"But I also don't believe that those are going to be the most important issues at the forefront of his election," says the pastor. "I think most voters have indicated that these issues are not the most important to them either."

"First of all, on the abortion issue, the presidential candidate doesn't have anything to do with the platform. So forget that," she advises. "Then the other question about transgender, the problem is nobody knows what to do about that. I don't know what to do about it.

She says she's sticking with Trump because he's going to "sock it to the kingmakers."

The woman is deluding herself.

Luckily I don't consult Schafly for guidance on principles.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 09:53:20 pm »
Some folks age well others not so much.......

Offline bilo

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 10:13:54 pm »
She's 91.

It's sad to see a lifelong fighter like her get to a point in her life where she just gives up.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline the_doc

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:13 pm »
She is making a fool of herself and revealing that, if not all along, she is now an unprincipled person just out for revenge.  She has chosen a man at least as bad as those "king makers" she hates.

I actually think Phyllis is neglecting to tell us the real reason why she is backing Trump:  she is one scared old lady.  I have noticed that anxiety disorders usually become a  bigger problem in miscellaneous ways as folks get closer to death.  Unfortunately, frightened old folks often seem to have weirdly poor judgment. 

Phyllis has publicly stated that we cannot afford to put up another loser against the Dems in 2016.  She wants a cage fighter, not a groveling, go-along-to-get-along RINO candidate.  Sadly, the old lady's gut-level instinct--which tends to find a "primitive" (carnal)  sense of safety in masculine (?) vulgarity and slander and thuggery and disgusting egotism--is just crazy Neanderthal thinking (no offense intended for the real Neanderthals of history, of course).  It hasn't dawned on Phyllis that Cruz was hated by the "king makers," nor has it dawned on her that there are good reasons why Cruz has polled better against Hillary than Trump.  Trump is just a jerk--a jerk who is likely to lose the election to Hillary.  Cruz has a lot more genuine guts (not just hot air stuff), a lot more of a confident, motivational conservatism than Trump could ever muster.  Cruz is a fighter of the sort who could actually win.

The poor old lady is just too scared to think straight--seen in the fact that she has believed it necessary to abandon true conservatism, only to back a loudmouthed, big-time loser after all.   

Offline the_doc

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 10:43:28 pm »
She's 91.

That's the key, I think.  See my post, above.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 11:15:47 pm »
Age is no excuse for Shlafly's bad judgement. 

I agree with you.  As you pointed out in your other post, when you met Phyllis many years ago, she seemed to have a spiritual pathology involving a noticeable lack of the very love and warmth that she was talking about.  If your observation was correct, and I am inclined to trust you, it should remind us that she is a sinner--as we all are. 

Having said that, I happen to think that we can be somewhat more sympathetic with her in her demise if we suspect that her particular frailty involves an underlying anxious constitution that is exacerbated by advanced age.  (Under this scenario, her real problem is not her age, but her person-specific sin nature.) 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 11:23:41 pm »
Phyllis was a year or so ahead of me in law school. She had one conservative ally there, a Con Law professor who (oh, the horror!) actually believed the Constitution was worth following. (Unfortunately for me, I had a different professor for Con Law. It may have been the guy who forced one of my classmates into sex in exchange for a passing grade, I don't recall). Anyway, you can bet that Phyllis was an embarrassment to just about everyone else at the school.

I never met her, but still was never a big fan. She's always been strident and, as evidenced by this article, seemingly not particularly faithful to her supposed core beliefs.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:50 pm »
She's deluding herself.

How so?   What has any president, including Ronald Reagan, done to reduce the number of abortions performed and diminish its legal legitimacy?

What are the expectations? 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 01:00:28 am »

How so?   What has any president, including Ronald Reagan, done to reduce the number of abortions performed and diminish its legal legitimacy?

Nominated Scalia and Bork for SCOTUS, for a couple of examples.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 07:11:42 am »

Then there is this very insidious position that the President can't do anything about abortion. That's a new one in the supposedly conservative ranks. When have conservatives ever abandoned a third of the federal government on this issue? How about never. Until Trump arrived.

Thank you for making my point for me.

And since Trump has made his supporters go stupid let me refresh you on the expectations:

Faithful to the “self-evident” truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children. We oppose using public revenues to promote or perform abortion or fund organizations which perform or advocate it and will not fund or subsidize health care which includes abortion coverage. We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of innocent human life. We oppose the non-consensual withholding or withdrawal of care or treatment, including food and water, from people with disabilities, including newborns, as well as the elderly and infirm, just as we oppose active and passive euthanasia and assisted suicide.

Republican leadership has led the effort to prohibit the barbaric practice of partial-birth abortion and permitted States to extend health care coverage to children before birth. We urge Congress to strengthen the Born Alive Infant Protection Act by enacting appropriate civil and criminal penalties on healthcare providers who fail to provide treatment and care to an infant who survives an abortion, including early induction delivery where the death of the infant is intended. We call for legislation to ban sex-selective abortions – gender discrimination in its most lethal form – and to protect from abortion unborn children who are capable of feeling pain; and we applaud U.S. House Republicans for leading the effort to protect the lives of pain-capable unborn children in the District of Columbia. We call for a ban on the use of body parts from aborted fetuses for research. We support and applaud adult stem cell research to develop lifesaving therapies, and we oppose the killing of embryos for their stem cells. We oppose federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

We also salute the many States that have passed laws for informed consent, mandatory waiting periods prior to an abortion, and health-protective clinic regulation. We seek to protect young girls from exploitation through a parental consent requirement; and we affirm our moral obligation to assist, rather than penalize, women challenged by an unplanned pregnancy. We salute those who provide them with counseling and adoption alternatives and empower them to choose life, and we take comfort in the tremendous increase in adoptions that has followed Republican legislative initiatives [1]

[1] https://www.gop.com/platform/we-the-people/

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 11:59:26 am »
Schlafly’s big claim to fame IIRC, was her opposition to the ERA which was narrowly defeated but defeated in great part because of her opposition efforts.

Schlafly believed that the ERA would take away gender specific “privileges” enjoyed by women at the time (such as the ability to work fewer or flexible hours or not have to and in some cases not even be allowed by employers to work night shifts unless they were unmarried and or had no children), would take away "dependent wife" benefits under Social Security, separate restrooms for males and females, and the exemption from Selective Service.

She also said at the time that the ERA would equalize the laws for the benefit of men, stripping protections that older women urgently needed and was designed for the benefit of young career women, warning that if men and women had to be treated identically it would threaten the security of middle-aged housewives with no current job skills. The ERA she also said, would repeal protections such as alimony and eliminate the tendency for mothers to obtain custody over their children in divorce cases.

And some “feminists” at the time pointed out her hypocrisy, that while Schlafly championed the traditional role of the “full time wife and mother - the housewife”, she was not one herself - being herself a lawyer, the editor of a monthly newsletter, and a fulltime political activist.

However, even without passage of the ERA, federal and state laws were passed, EOE acts and others that provided, for better or worse, workplace protections and “equal” opportunity for women.

And FWIW, there are not all that many middle aged “housewives” with absolutely no job skills anymore.  And of course there is now recent talk of including women in Selective Service registration and there are women in combat roles and there is now the whole “restroom” issue.  So a lot of what she feared with the passage of the ERA has or is coming to pass anyway.

As to alimony, that I understand is less common with so many states having no-fault divorce and with so many, at least middle and upper class women being in the workplace and or having prior work experience and or college degrees prior to getting married and having children.

But I will also say and as a woman, that I’ve have seen some of my male friends and relatives get completely screwed over in divorces, divorces that the wife initiated and without any bad actions (i.e. cheating or abuse) on the husband’s part and in the custody of their children - in some cases where the mother should not have been awarded primary or sole custody but was because of the gender bias against men in custody cases, and also where it was the woman who played games with the courts and their ex-husbands with respect to child support and screwing the men out of their visitation rights.  So I think that Schlafly was very wrong on that issue.

Schlafly also not long ago published this – her views on the American Past Time - Baseball:

http://blog.eagleforum.org/2016/02/return-our-national-pastime-to-america.html

Yes - she thinks that MLB teams should ONLY employ American born players as they are “better” than the “foreigners” and that having foreign born players (“this foreign influx into our National Pastime”) has resulted in a decline of interest in the sport among our “male youth” because “our youth can’t identify with them” (forget about how more kids play soccer now days as opposed to baseball or American football – in part because it is cheaper – requires less equipment and it doesn’t require the time needed, the many hours of practice needed to develop the necessary skills needed for playing baseball or football and how many American kids now day are more likely to follow the soccer World Cup and be a fan of a team like Manchester United rather than of, say the NY Yankees).

FWIW, one of my great nephews for many years played in a highly competitive little league baseball league - he was not only a good hitter but a very good pitcher, consistently and accurately throwing at 70 MPH at 13 years old, and he also played on several “travel” teams, nearly playing baseball year round for several years and the competition to be the very best was fierce and his parents even enrolled him in off season training and private lessons, some taught by former major league players.  At age 13, he was already being scouted by several colleges and even by some minor league scouts.  But he also burned out both physically and mentally after a time.  He told me some years later that the enormous pressures his coaches and his parent put on him in addition to a rotator cuff injury at 14 cause by the pressure to pitch faster and faster, led him to hate the game that he’d once loved.

But Schlafly goes on to say that MLB owners only hire foreign players because they can pay them less than the ‘Mericans as if MLB owners are all for hiring “cheap labor” as opposed to actually wanting to win games by getting the very best talent.  She was also roundly criticized for this in the comments section. As one commenter said: “So baseball is ruined with such players as Roberto Clemente and Mariano Rivera?”

I also read elsewhere that her fondness in recalling the World Series of 1944 between the St. Louis Cardinals and the St. Louis Browns was one year prior to when MLB finally broke the color barrier in 1945 when Brooklyn Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey signed a contract with Jackie Robinson.

While perhaps not her intent, some pointed out the unfortunate and implied, whether intentional or not, correlation that in 1944, MLB was not only all “American”, but was also all “White”.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 01:02:02 pm »
Funny a lot Trump supporters threw Romney under the bus cause he wasn't good enough with regards to abortion..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 01:14:05 pm »
Pretty easy to see why her board tried overriding her a while back. She abandoned principle. Maybe it's senility, maybe she just wants a win before she dies. Whatever the case she sold out.

Well, who knows? The Lord works in mysterious ways. Maybe He's giving us Satan in order to defeat Satan.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!