General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Game of Thrones Thread

<< < (2/35) > >>

INVAR:

--- Quote from: Bruce Campbells Chin on May 17, 2016, 09:12:12 pm ---That's an interesting point.  I've thought the same thing from the books, but didn't connect it with what is currently happening south of the Wall.  But I suppose I'd respond by saying there is no sign that the White Walkers have retreated at all.

--- End quote ---

Well, what if the winds and weather of Winter are a weapon the White Walkers use to conceal their movements and/or advancement?

We saw that happen when they were first spotted up on the cliffs moving towards Hardhome.  The blizzard came with them.

Also recall some time back when that baby from the shack was placed as an offering that there was no snow or ice falling when the Night King came and froze the infant.

INVAR:

--- Quote from: Bruce Campbells Chin on May 18, 2016, 02:45:45 pm ---I agree with all that.  I think you're dead-on.  I just don't see that as an explanation for what happened to Stannis.

Hardhome is on a peninsula hundreds of miles northeast of Castle Black -- Winterfell is 5-600 miles southwest of Castle Black , so we may be talking nearly 1000 miles.  I can't see how the Others would have even known, or cared, about Stannis.  And as soon as the Others leave Hardhome, they're necessarily moving down that peninsula, and closer to the Castle Black, and therefore Winterfell.  So if the mere presence of the Others can actually affect weather nearly 1000 miles away, the weather should have kept getting worse after Hardhome and Stannis' battle.

And I suppose the other thing is that none of the characters have remarked on the weather at all, or seem remotely aware that we went from horrible blizzard to easy travelling weather.  If there was some unstated/unknown mystical explanation, you'd think they'd at least express some puzzlement over how the weather changed.  That's why it looks more like just a plot device to me.

But I suppose that's just nitpicking.

--- End quote ---

Well, Winter is coming.

The snowstorm that socked in the North (including at Winterfell) that resulted in Stannis' army getting stuck and left vulnerable happened at nearly the same time as the events at Hardhome.  Not saying that that blast of Winter was the result of the Others socking it to the entire North - but the Others do have the ability to herald snow and ice whenever they appear.  The implication is that when the Others are ready to move South - Winter comes with them.

My guess is that The Children of the Forest and The Others have some kind of symbiotic connection as to how seasons work in the fantasy world of Ice and Fire.  The Three-Eyed Raven may explain some of that to Bran.  Winters can last for 100s of years in this world, and perhaps the final outcome of the wars to come may result in a more 'annual' weather pattern?  The last time I ever saw the seasons used in a fantasy as a plot device was Ridley Scott's Legend.

As to the characters commenting on the weather - it seems they know about the long winters and think nothing of them other than to prepare for them.  I recall Tyrell discussing in a small council meeting that they did not have enough stores of grain to last half of a Winter if the Iron Bank called in their debts.

Melissandre seemed to believe that after burning Stannis' daughter that her god had performed a miracle for them in terms of ending the snows and melting them.  Who knows?  Maybe it's La Nina in the Shimmering  Sea or the Gulf Stream suddenly stops and starts?  Maybe Saruman is busy trying to bury the Fellowship…. er…. wrong franchise.

INVAR:

--- Quote from: Bruce Campbells Chin on May 18, 2016, 04:22:32 pm ---Or maybe it's just me being anal, and not accepting that sometimes, you can get a freak heavy snowstorm early in the season, and then nothing else for awhile.

I suppose I should really consider that possibility too.....

--- End quote ---

It's more fun to imagine a plot reason for everything that occurs.

Maj. Bill Martin:
So, uh...wow.

That had to be one of the most I formatiin-filled episodes ever, from the origins of the Others, to Hodor, to the Blackfish having retaken Winterfell...things are very clearly picking up.

Nice to see Little finger put in his place a bit as well.

INVAR:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 23, 2016, 04:44:06 am --- to the Blackfish having retaken Winterfell...

--- End quote ---

I do not recall that being said.  All I heard was that Blackfish gathered what was left of House Tully and retook Riverrun.  Winterfell is still in the hands of Ramsay Bolton. The Knights of the Vale are marching North - but we cannot be sure of where Littlefinger is sending them to do battle.

I would not be surprised that he sends the Knights of the Vale to attack Blackfish in the hopes that Sansa is there.

Recall that in season 1, Littlefinger said to the whores from the North that all he wanted to do was *eff* the whole world which was followed by Lord Varys saying Baelish was the most dangerous man in Westeros.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version