General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Game of Thrones Thread

<< < (35/35)

kevindavis007:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 21, 2019, 02:14:11 pm ---I got HBO just to watch this final season of Game of Thrones, but I started watching HBO's new Chernobyl miniseries, which started a few weeks ago and has two more episodes to go.

It is ridiculously good.  Gives a fantastic look inside not only the disaster itself, but the awfulness of the underlying Soviet system.  That acting, set design, makeup, etc. all is phenomenal.
The whole thing is just amazingly well done and one of the best things I've seen on TV.

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the heads up. I thought it was an anti-Nuclear power miniseries.

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: kevindavis on May 22, 2019, 12:15:49 am ---Thank you for the heads up. I thought it was an anti-Nuclear power miniseries.

--- End quote ---

Not really.  It is a stinging indictment of totalitarianism, though.

I'll be interested to see what you guys think about it.  It is somewhat unpleasant to watch at times because it was such a tragedy, and the folks who made the movie were as faithful to the actual events as they could possibly be.  They even do a podcast after each show where they talk about any changes they made from the actual story.  They obviously can't show everyone, so there are a couple of composite characters.  But the main characters are all real people, and they were really accurate in terms of the science, and what actually happened with the particular workers inside.  They got the names all right, the events...it's really stunning.

Some of the scenes in the third episode in particular are simply haunting.  I honestly think it's about as close to perfect television as you can get.  Only moments of levity so far have been provided by the coal miners.  Tough guys who really don't care what anyone else thinks or says.  They were accurately depicted as being one group in Soviet Russia and even the Party was leery of crossing because of the country's dependence on coal, and therefore the miners.

kevindavis007:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 22, 2019, 01:31:42 pm ---Not really.  It is a stinging indictment of totalitarianism, though.

I'll be interested to see what you guys think about it.  It is somewhat unpleasant to watch at times because it was such a tragedy, and the folks who made the movie were as faithful to the actual events as they could possibly be.  They even do a podcast after each show where they talk about any changes they made from the actual story.  They obviously can't show everyone, so there are a couple of composite characters.  But the main characters are all real people, and they were really accurate in terms of the science, and what actually happened with the particular workers inside.  They got the names all right, the events...it's really stunning.

Some of the scenes in the third episode in particular are simply haunting.  I honestly think it's about as close to perfect television as you can get.  Only moments of levity so far have been provided by the coal miners.  Tough guys who really don't care what anyone else thinks or says.  They were accurately depicted as being one group in Soviet Russia and even the Party was leery of crossing because of the country's dependence on coal, and therefore the miners.

--- End quote ---

Well after watching the first two epsidoes of Chernoybl and now I'm watching the third episode. It is very good. I'm surprised HBO allowed this miniseries to be made. The Soviets screwed up big time.

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: kevindavis on May 25, 2019, 09:20:13 pm ---
Well after watching the first two epsidoes of Chernoybl and now I'm watching the third episode. It is very good. I'm surprised HBO allowed this miniseries to be made. The Soviets screwed up big time.

--- End quote ---

The scenes of the sick firemen and techniciansinthat Moscow hospital were incredibly sad.

kevindavis007:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 26, 2019, 12:19:40 am ---The scenes of the sick firemen and techniciansinthat Moscow hospital were incredibly sad.

--- End quote ---

It was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version