Author Topic: Federal Court Orders Mississippi Schools to Desegregate After 51-Year Legal Battle  (Read 224 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Federal Court Orders Mississippi Schools to Desegregate After 51-Year Legal Battle

It has been over 60 years since the Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. Board of Education, which declared “separate but equal” was no longer a valid segregation stance in public schools.

But a handful of middle and high schools in Cleveland, Miss., have been sticking to their pre-integration roots for more than 5 decades.

On May 13, the legal battle to desegregate these schools has finally been decided—the Justice Department has determined the consolidation of four schools that have either all-white or all-black student bodies.

Cleveland is a small, Mississippi-Delta city of 12,000 residents; divided by railroad tracks that separates east from west as well as black from white.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2067607-federal-court-orders-mississippi-schools-to-desegregate-after-51-year-court-battle/

I thought I'd be opening a story talking about some Court decision from the 1960s; wrong. This apparently was just enacted. Strange not to have heard about this in other news outlets.

I would be sorry if the Obama administration's lawless justice department played a role in this though it might be for the right side. There is not enough info to tell; perhaps this struggle had been going on for years or even decades which the article does indicate.