Author Topic: The Mind of Donald Trump  (Read 1398 times)

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
The Mind of Donald Trump
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
Narcissism, disagreeableness, grandiosity—a psychologist investigates how Trump’s extraordinary personality might shape his possible presidency.

"...More than even Ronald Reagan, Trump seems supremely cognizant of the fact that he is always acting. He moves through life like a man who knows he is always being observed. If all human beings are, by their very nature, social actors, then Donald Trump seems to be more so—superhuman, in this one primal sense.

Many questions have arisen about Trump during this campaign season—about his platform, his knowledge of issues, his inflammatory language, his level of comfort with political violence. This article touches on some of that. But its central aim is to create a psychological portrait of the man. Who is he, really? How does his mind work? How might he go about making decisions in office, were he to become president? And what does all that suggest about the sort of president he’d be?

...Across his lifetime, Donald Trump has exhibited a trait profile that you would not expect of a U.S. president: sky-high extroversion combined with off-the-chart low agreeableness. This is my own judgment, of course, but I believe that a great majority of people who observe Trump would agree. There is nothing especially subtle about trait attributions. We are not talking here about deep, unconscious processes or clinical diagnoses. As social actors, our performances are out there for everyone to see.

Like George W. Bush and Bill Clinton (and Teddy Roosevelt, who tops the presidential extroversion list), Trump plays his role in an outgoing, exuberant, and socially dominant manner. He is a dynamo—driven, restless, unable to keep still. He gets by with very little sleep...

A cardinal feature of high extroversion is relentless reward-seeking. Prompted by the activity of dopamine circuits in the brain, highly extroverted actors are driven to pursue positive emotional experiences, whether they come in the form of social approval, fame, or wealth. Indeed, it is the pursuit itself, more so even than the actual attainment of the goal, that extroverts find so gratifying. When Barbara Walters asked Trump in 1987 whether he would like to be appointed president of the United States, rather than having to run for the job, Trump said no: “It’s the hunt that I believe I love.”

...Trump’s tendencies toward social ambition and aggressiveness were evident very early in his life, as we will see later. (By his own account, he once punched his second-grade music teacher, giving him a black eye.) According to Barbara Res, who in the early 1980s served as vice president in charge of construction of Trump Tower in Manhattan, the emotional core around which Donald Trump’s personality constellates is anger: “As far as the anger is concerned, that’s real for sure. He’s not faking it,” she told The Daily Beast in February.  “The fact that he gets mad, that’s his personality.”

...The real psychological wild card, however, is Trump’s agreeableness—or lack thereof. There has probably never been a U.S. president as consistently and overtly disagreeable on the public stage as Donald Trump is. If Nixon comes closest, we might predict that Trump’s style of decision making would look like the hard-nosed realpolitik that Nixon and his secretary of state, Henry Kissinger, displayed in international affairs during the early 1970s, along with its bare-knuckled domestic analog.

...In sum, Donald Trump’s basic personality traits suggest a presidency that could be highly combustible. One possible yield is an energetic, activist president who has a less than cordial relationship with the truth. He could be a daring and ruthlessly aggressive decision maker who desperately desires to create the strongest, tallest, shiniest, and most awesome result—and who never thinks twice about the collateral damage he will leave behind. Tough. Bellicose. Threatening. Explosive.

...As the social psychologist Jesse Graham has noted, Trump appeals to an ancient fear of contagion, which analogizes out-groups to parasites, poisons, and other impurities. In this regard, it is perhaps no psychological accident that Trump displays a phobia of germs, and seems repulsed by bodily fluids, especially women’s.

...An American strand of authoritarianism may help explain why the thrice-married, foul-mouthed Donald Trump should prove to be so attractive to white Christian evangelicals. As Jerry Falwell Jr. told The New York Times in February, “All the social issues—traditional family values, abortion—are moot if isis blows up some of our cities or if the borders are not fortified.” Rank-and-file evangelicals “are trying to save the country,” Falwell said....

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-of-donald-trump/480771/

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: The Mind of Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:18:13 pm »
From the article: it is almost impossible to talk about Donald Trump without using the word narcissism. Asked to sum up Trump’s personality for an article in Vanity Fair, Howard Gardner, a psychologist at Harvard, responded, “Remarkably narcissistic.” George Simon, a clinical psychologist who conducts seminars on manipulative behavior, says Trump is “so classic that I’m archiving video clips of him to use in workshops because there’s no better example” of narcissism. “Otherwise I would have had to hire actors and write vignettes. He’s like a dream come true.”

Trump is a dream of a narcissist to psychologists, but a nightmare of a nominee.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 03:03:14 pm »
From the article: it is almost impossible to talk about Donald Trump without using the word narcissism. Asked to sum up Trump’s personality for an article in Vanity Fair, Howard Gardner, a psychologist at Harvard, responded, “Remarkably narcissistic.” George Simon, a clinical psychologist who conducts seminars on manipulative behavior, says Trump is “so classic that I’m archiving video clips of him to use in workshops because there’s no better example” of narcissism. “Otherwise I would have had to hire actors and write vignettes. He’s like a dream come true.”

Trump is a dream of a narcissist to psychologists, but a nightmare of a nominee.

Remember, Lil' Benito said he could shoot someone on a public street in cold blood and not loose a single supporter, because he knows they are devoted to him without question.

And Trump is right.  We are reading that right here every day.

It doesn't matter what he says, whom he has funded, how many changing positions and contradictions he makes or how many policy positions he is walking back or discarding…. his worshipping devotees will always work to justify their political Messiah and insist he is a god reborn to save the country.

Which feeds the aforementioned narcissism, which by now - Americans have gotten used to in their dictator.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:05:01 pm »
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, just a different letter on his jersey.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:17:00 pm »
The worst human being to ever aspire to the presidency.  And we have people on this forum salivating over his every word.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:35:36 pm »
Fox and Megyn Kelly have the Trump interview tonight which I will not watch. Megyn is making herself the story- just what a real journalist would never do. I saw a teaser for the show, "let's talk about us," said Megyn. :3:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:45:16 pm »
Fox and Megyn Kelly have the Trump interview tonight which I will not watch. Megyn is making herself the story- just what a real journalist would never do. I saw a teaser for the show, "let's talk about us," said Megyn. :3:

No real American would watch a Trump interview when Stanley Cup hockey playoffs are on.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 03:47:30 pm »
I saw a teaser for the show, "let's talk about us," said Megyn.

Music to Trump's ears.

He loves to do nothing better than talk about 'himself' in the context of 'us'.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 03:47:59 pm »
Fox and Megyn Kelly have the Trump interview tonight which I will not watch. Megyn is making herself the story- just what a real journalist would never do. I saw a teaser for the show, "let's talk about us," said Megyn.

Here is the dirty little secret about most of these 'journalists'- they are all just talking heads like actors. The stories and scripts are written by a team of editors and researchers. They may ad-lib a bit, but they pretty much are just reading from a script and playing a character.

There was a joke at one of our local news stations that whenever they needed a new anchor, the editor went to the grocery store and looked for the prettiest single girl he could find.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:58 pm »
The "news" is all show biz- and that suits Deceptive Donald to a "t."

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:04:38 pm »
The worst human being to ever aspire to the presidency.

Not quite sure about that, although he's clearly in the running.

Woodrow Wilson was a thoroughly miserable SOB. And then, there's Al Gore....
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 04:24:18 pm »
I think they're conflict is all an act.  Trump has been calling into the Fox morning show every Monday morning for the last couple of years.  Calling into a TV show to talk current events.

Designed to keep him in the news and on top of peoples mind.   Either he was paying for it or Foxnews was in the bag even then to promote him.   My bet is on the latter. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 04:45:37 pm »
No real American would watch a Trump interview when Stanley Cup hockey playoffs are on.

Or Slap Shot 1,2 &3 on HDNET.  Bring on the Hanson Brothers