Author Topic: Catholic Bishops: Obama Blew Off Pope Francis With Transgender Edict  (Read 554 times)

Offline markomalley

From the Daily Caller:

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops released a strongly-worded letter on Monday denouncing the Obama administration’s decree that every public school in the country allow students to use whichever bathroom or locker room corresponds to their self-identified “gender identity.”

The bishops pointed out that President Obama’s transgender order contradicted the firm position of Pope Francis, whom the president had previously praised for his stances on climate change and the refugee crisis.

“The guidance issued May 13 by the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Education that treats ‘a student’s gender identity as the student’s sex’ is deeply disturbing,” the letter said.

“The guidance fails to address a number of important concerns and contradicts a basic understanding of human formation so well expressed by Pope Francis: that ‘the young need to be helped to accept their own body as it was created.'”

When reading the following rant, please bear in mind that I am a go-to-Mass-each-week-and-on-weekdays-when-I-can Catholic.

Reading such a letter from the US Catholic Bishops is absolutely a sick joke. These men, most of whom do not even have the cojones to preach or encourage their clergy to preach about homosexuality, those who do not have the stones to preach against contraception, those who generally preach about abortion and infanticide only once or twice a year...they have the audacity to complain that the man-child that they supported for President actually followed through on one of his promises? What a sick, sick joke.

:silly:

These men, who walking through not only the parking lots of their parishes, but through the parking lot of their own chanceries and even the parking lot of the USCCB Headquarters on 4th St NE, seeing a plethora of Obama-Biden, Hillary, Bernie, Equal Sign, and Rainbow bumper stickers affixed to their parishioners' cars, say nothing about the immorality of the people represented by the bumper stickers. These men, who constantly preach about radical leftist economic and social policies that are in direct contradiction of the Church's Magisterium while remaining mute about moral edicts that are directly a part of the Magisterium...those men dare to pen a letter? Do they even vaguely believe that the Obama Administration is going to remotely consider this letter?

More likely they recognize that the fundamental transformation of Catholicism that they've been engineering for the past 50 years has not had time to go far enough...yet...to where this would be accepted by their parishioners. And they're worried about pushback as a result of the silence...

The letter...that's just rich....

</rant off>

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
Well said. The future of the Church is in Africa, anyways. They will be the ones to re-evangelize the western world.

Offline sinkspur

Pope Francis himself recently inferred that contraception can be an acceptable choice in countries where the Zika virus is rampant.  If contraception is intrinsically evil, as Humanae Vitae asserts, contraception can never be acceptable.  To Francis, there is at least one exception.

The same is true for homosexuality.  Francis is loathe to use the "intrinsically disordered" label for homosexuals.  That's quite a change from Benedict XVI, who used that term freely.

Clearly Catholics are not in sync with the Church in the area of sexual morality.  And, when it comes to the transgendered, a decree by the Church cannot overcome scientific and medical research that indicates transgenderism is not a simple matter of x and y chromosomes. 

You're right.  Nobody listens to the bishops any longer when they issue directives and letters.  They don't because Catholics have long ago made up their minds that the Church has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the place where they live.  The Church does not speak to  their lives and human experience.  So they pay no attention to "the Magisterium".  "Because I said so" no longer applies to a faithful who are, in many cases, more theologically competent than their leaders.

No matter what you or Cardinal Wright think, Catholics are not immoral because they vote for Democrats.  I daresay many of these bishops voted for Obama. 

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

You're right.  Nobody listens to the bishops any longer when they issue directives and letters.  They don't because Catholics have long ago made up their minds that the Church has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the place where they live.  The Church does not speak to  their lives and human experience.  So they pay no attention to "the Magisterium".  "Because I said so" no longer applies to a faithful who are, in many cases, more theologically competent than their leaders.

I would like to hear more about these faithful who are more theologically competent than their leaders. Could you cite a couple of examples to illustrate that assertion?

Offline verga

From the Daily Caller:

When reading the following rant, please bear in mind that I am a go-to-Mass-each-week-and-on-weekdays-when-I-can Catholic.

Reading such a letter from the US Catholic Bishops is absolutely a sick joke.
</rant off>
  :amen: Could not have said it better myself.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.